shot some 12 gauge reloads last night [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : shot some 12 gauge reloads last night

bob_fuller
01-05-2010, 15:52
took the gun and my first 50 reloaded shells out to a friend's house last night... they all shot fine, i didn't blow up my gun or anything thankfully.

but when i got home and cleaned it, i noticed there was a decent amount of unburnt powder in the barrel. any ideas as to why this is happening?

GioaJack
01-05-2010, 15:55
Make sure your wad pressure is sufficient, be they fiber wads of plastic shot cups.

Jack

bob_fuller
01-05-2010, 16:00
ah, that makes sense. would it have anything to do with a poor quality wad? i'm using claybuster wt12 replacement wads if that makes a difference

GioaJack
01-05-2010, 16:13
Claybuster are excellent wads, I've shot thousands and thousands of them over the years, along with Windjammers and Winchester wads. (I must admit however I'm not really sure exactly what the wt12 replacement wad means. I'm assuming that it is a plastic shot cup style. Please correct me if I'm incorrect.)

Wad pressure, as well as lack of crimp pressure will result in what we use to call a 'parade load'... when over powder wads were not compressed sufficiently when loading blanks for different activities.

If you're using shot cups apply enough pressure so that the entire concave portion of the wad completely covers and encases your powder charge.

If using fiber over powder wads make sure the wad sits tight against the charge with no air space in between. Don't worry about too much pressure but don't use a 6 pound sledge to seat your wad either.

Depending on the type of loader you're using there may be a pressure gauge with a red arrow that indicates the pressure you're using. You're manual will tell you the correct pressure but it's not critical.

Jack

bob_fuller
01-05-2010, 16:57
alrighty, that helps a lot! thanks