Breaking in the barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in the barrel?

Vigilant
01-05-2010, 20:11
In the past, I have cleaned after every round with a new barrel for the first 12, after every second round for the next 24, and after the third round for the next 24. Then, a few more cleanings after 4 and 6 rounds, then normal use. Is this necessary on an AR with a chrome lined barrel, or do most folks just start out with normal use?

Thanks again.

desertfox
01-05-2010, 20:30
I know there will be quite a few who will disagree with me...... but, just start shooting it.

RMTactical
01-05-2010, 20:31
I just start shooting it.

kiole
01-05-2010, 21:08
i've never been one to break in anything i just go for it.

Alaskapopo
01-07-2010, 04:12
In the past, I have cleaned after every round with a new barrel for the first 12, after every second round for the next 24, and after the third round for the next 24. Then, a few more cleanings after 4 and 6 rounds, then normal use. Is this necessary on an AR with a chrome lined barrel, or do most folks just start out with normal use?

Thanks again.

I broke in the Barrel on my GAP AR10 and it shoots great.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/GAP1r10.jpg

I just shot with my Larue Stealth and did not break it in. It shot even better.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/Laure.jpg

My point is I don't think it matters one bit however you can not prove that it works or that it does not.
Pat

mgs
01-07-2010, 07:07
Some barrels have more bore imperfections than others. Chrome lining covers some of these imperfections creating a smoother bore which is easier to clean and fouls less. If a new non-chrome lined barrel is rough, it is harder to clean (get clean) if shot a lot right out of the box. All rough barrels should be lapped to eliminate this type of fouling. Excessive fouling causes a rifle barrel to loose accuracy. Breaking in a rough barrel by firing one round then cleaning x 10 and so forth really just keeps a rough barrel from fouling and loosing accuracy. I'm not a gunsmith but copper bullets really don't iron-out rough steel like JB Bore Paste/cleaner can do. Lapped factory barrels are a pleasure to shoot because they are broke-in already. I have in the past broke-in factory barrels but not sure it really makes a huge difference. I have a 22-250 that seemed to foul easy so I kept cleaning it with Rem Clean every 10 shots and it smoothed out and fouls less now. It still is very accurate (.5" 5 shot groups) and I did the whole break-in thing, Mike.

AK_Stick
01-07-2010, 08:33
I just shoot mine, no matter the caliber or action.

I would put any of my rifles, but especially my custom rifles against any other hunting guns with barrels broken in however you wish. I would bet mechanical accuracy would show more of a difference between guns, than break in styles.

The big limitation is the shooters, not the gun.

1811guy
01-07-2010, 11:00
Here are the instructions that came with my Noveske SPR:

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/barrel_break-in.pdf

It has a high-end barrel on it. The instructions say no extended break in procedure needed. Just proper cleaning, as would be the case with any weapon. I use the items recommended for my expensive Noveske barrel.

ETA - after a couple thousand rounds, my SPR will shoot a ragged hole at 100 yards with the right ammo (I like to use Black Hills Mk 262 Mod 1). All I do is clean it after range sessions and make sure the bore is wet before I shoot. No break in was ever done. I should note that the barrel accuracy is better than most dedicated match barrels I have seen.

It may be a sin, but all my chrome lined barrels get is a few passes with a bore snake dipped in break free CLP. They have always performed just fine for me.

Here is what Will Schuemann, Schuemann Barrels has to say about it:

http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3zZ4oir3t50%3d&tabid=67&mid=445

Just shoot!

jobob
01-07-2010, 11:38
You shoot with a wet bore? Not saying you're all wet (pun intended) or anything, but I've always heard to swab any oil out of a bore and chamber before shooting. Theory being that the case needs to cling to dry chamber walls, and too much oil in the bore will cause higher pressure on your first round fired since the bullet needs to push the oil out.

Not flaming, but that's just always been my understanding and what I've tried to stick with.

vafish
01-07-2010, 11:38
.....My point is I don't think it matters one bit however you can not prove that it works or that it does not.
Pat

I don't know of anyone who has done a scientific study taking a bunch of identical gun barrels, breaking some in and just shooting others and comparing results.

I'd love to do it if time and money allowed. Some day if I win the lottery I'll buy enough land to have my own 100 yard indoor range and I'll spend a couple of months running the study.

Until then, I can't prove that it helps, but I don't think that it hurts either (other than the round count used for the breaking in period) IF it is done carefully with quality cleaning equipment.

I do think that a break in procedure is more useful on a production rifle barrel than it is on a custom lapped target barrel. But that's just a gut feeling and has no basis of proof.

internal
01-07-2010, 11:48
It's more of a myth then anything.

Just shoot it however you want.

Some rifles/bullets shoot BETTER with build up.

Remington700VS
01-07-2010, 12:03
Load it up and shoot.

den308
01-08-2010, 23:38
Just shoot it. If you are anal then clean after one shot five times. Then shoot five then clean, five times.:supergrin: