Help, Bull Dawgs! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help, Bull Dawgs!

kim1911
01-05-2010, 22:23
I posted this here because I didn't want to start a caliber debate in General Glocking. I currently own & carry a G29, but don't like that I'm kind of held by the short hairs by Buffalo Bore and Double Tap for ammo loaded the way 10mm should be loaded. Don't get me wrong, they offer great ammo, but I've been toying with the idea of trading my G29 for a G30 or a G38 just to open the availability of different ammo companies.

I am not at all familiar with the .45 GAP. I have read about it, but always prefer to hear from actual users. I guess the bottom line is that I'm left with Double Tap & Buffalo Bore for high performance 10mm, and want to know from you guys and ladies is if thats the case with the .45 GAP, where you only get the performance at or above .45 ACP from only one or two companies?

engineer151515
01-05-2010, 22:29
Maybe this will help

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.45_GAP

Officer's Match
01-05-2010, 23:29
I strongly suggest shooting a 38 if you get the chance. I just sold my 30SF which ran perfectly, but just can't match the overall balance of the 38. It's Glock's very best IMO. That's why I have several of 'em.

chad745
01-06-2010, 13:40
From what I've seen so far, I'm getting at least the same peformance from any manufacturer's 45GAP. I've not seen any 45GAP ammunition from Remington, Federal, Speer or any of them that have been below the specs of the ACP at all. At least, not significantly. And as far as i know, the Speer Lawman FMJ ammo matches the ballistics to that of Speer's premium SD ammuntion so that police can practice with the same recoil and handling.

I'm all for performance, but the reason I went with the 45 caliber is because I don't WANT to be able to shoot through the engine block of a semi. I want my rounds to stop in the bad guy! This does two things. It is full energy dump into the target, and there is less possibility of over penetration. Remember, we are responsible for that bullet once it passes through. So, stoaking any round to reach it's absolute top velocity, in my opinion, is unnesessary and possibly foolish.

Front Sight
01-06-2010, 18:46
I am leaning in the direction of the G38 also. I want to sell my G27 and G23 first.

G8Kpr
01-06-2010, 21:35
There are those who HAVE GAPs, especially 38s, who swear by them and won't part with them - REGARDLESS of all the arguments against them. And there are those who READ ABOUT GAPs who swear at them and won't have one - and MAKE all the arguments against them. I trust you're smart enough to figure out who knows more about the subject.

I have, and have had, all kinds of 45 ACPs (Sig 220, SiG 220ST, SiG GSR (x2), Springfield Mil-Spec, Para LTC, Para 14.45 Ltd, RIA, IAC Regent) and 9s (SiG 228 (x2), SiG 226, Beretta 92fs, G19, G32 w/9mm conv.), and have shot a LOT more makes and models than that. I still have the LTC, the G32 w/ both barrels, and the IAC - but I carry the G38 every day because it IS the best of the bunch of everything listed above, IMHO. Take it from there.

Cheers,
Kpr

MSgt Dotson
01-07-2010, 05:28
Hornady has 10mm 200 gr XTPs loaded to 1050 fps...; Winchester 175 gr STHP to 1200 fps...; either of these is likely to punch thru both a coat and two shirts easily.

Option 2 is to get a .40 S&W conversion bbl, for the abundance of .40 ammo, if cost is a concern...

DannyR
01-07-2010, 08:24
You can get ACP performance or better from GAP made by: Speer, Federal, Blazer, Winchester, Remington, Cor-Bon and Double Tap.

gary newport
01-07-2010, 18:15
You can get ACP performance or better from GAP made by: Speer, Federal, Blazer, Winchester, Remington, Cor-Bon and Double Tap.

Danny, when did Blazer start producing .45 GAP ammo? I asked them about doing that a couple of years ago and was told they had no near-term plans to do so.

DannyR
01-07-2010, 18:21
It was my understanding that it was available. I'll check their web site now.

DannyR
01-07-2010, 18:25
Oops, scratch Blazer. I should have verified the information before posting it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

kim1911
01-07-2010, 18:48
I like what I'm hearing. I used to have a G31, but never liked it as much as I did the 19, so, like I said earlier, I love the idea of holding what feels like a G19, but is a .45.
Looks like I might need to put my G29 up for sale/trade.

I appreciate your guy's input, please keep it coming.

chad745
01-07-2010, 19:33
The G29, is that a true sub-compact? I looked at the pics, and I can see that the front to back part of the grip is really big! Or is it more of a compact G30 type of getup?

kim1911
01-07-2010, 19:51
Chad745, it's the same size as a G30, just in 10mm.

G8Kpr
01-07-2010, 20:41
I love the idea of holding what feels like a G19, but is a .45.

kim,
That was EXACTLY what got me curious about, and eventually sold me on the G38 (see my signature line). I LOVED my G19, I LOVED my LTC so I was always trying to decide what to carry (which one tugged at my heart - and head - more when it came to strapping up).

When I first read about the G38, it just made sense in my head then, after picking one up and running some rounds through it, it had my heart. A few years with one now and IT is the one I can't bring myself to leave behind when I head out - and the one I can't wait to get back to if I MUST go with just my J-frame due to dress or, worse yet, 'naked' due to some rediculous local or state statute. :upeyes:

Really, find a G38 and run a few mags through it. If it's not everything I say it is, then my apologies; but I think you'll be pleased with the balance, controlability, smoothness, and power of the G38/GAP combo as a PD sidearm. And, internet arguments aside, who can really dispute a 200 grain Gold Dot @ 950 fps? Try it before you buy it, but I think you'll be reaching for your wallet. :supergrin: I've been carrying concealed for over 15 years and the G38 is my CHOICE of carry pieces - IT JUST WORKS!

Maximus13
01-09-2010, 16:39
I was against the idea of the GAP at first but was issued a GAP for on duty with the state police. I have carried several ACP’s and fired several other calibers. I could not believe how well the G37 performed. I now also carry a 39 off duty/backup. I agree that the only other people who bash this round are the people who will not try it. I just can’t understand why more gun companies are not making guns for the GAP. I think once they see that the round is not going anywhere the other companies will start making guns for this round.

packinaglock
01-09-2010, 17:10
I was against the idea of the GAP at first but was issued a GAP for on duty with the state police. I have carried several ACPís and fired several other calibers. I could not believe how well the G37 performed. I now also carry a 39 off duty/backup. I agree that the only other people who bash this round are the people who will not try it. I just canít understand why more gun companies are not making guns for the GAP. I think once they see that the round is not going anywhere the other companies will start making guns for this round.

Exactly!

Gulfcop
01-09-2010, 19:58
I like my Glock 38 it's a very good shooter. I carry it on duty sometimes. I am still looking for a good off duty holster [on a budget].

kim1911
01-10-2010, 20:48
From my research, it looks like I can remove the XS Big Dot sights from my G29 and slap 'em on a G37, but not a G38? Is that right? I wouldn't think you would have different sight sizes for the same caliber like that.
Can someone tell me if that's correct? I looked at GlockParts.com and a couple of other sites, and the large set of XS Big Dot sights are marked for 20 & 21, 29 & 30, and 37, but the smaller set is marked 37-39, so I'm a bit confused.

mhmills
01-11-2010, 02:10
Most of the sight manufactures are confused about the GAP guns, if you check the Glock website they show the GAP guns using the same sights as the 9mm/.40/.357 guns. I just installed the XS Big Dots on my G39.

The following is copied from Glocks website.

REAR SIGHT HEIGHTS
GLOCK rear sights are available in four heights. The standard rear sight height for GLOCK pistols in 9x19, .40, .45 G.A.P., .357 and .380 calibers is 6.5mm (0.256in.); .45 and 10mm AUTO calibers 6.9mm (0.27in.). Rear sights are also available in heights of 6.1mm (0.24in.), 6.9mm (0.27in.) and 7.3mm (0.29in.). Every change of the rear sight height will result in a shift of the predicted position of approximately 50mm (1.97in.) over 25m (27yds.) firing distance.

Click the link, then options, then rear sight.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

mesteve2
01-11-2010, 14:05
Raven Ghost holster is a great holster.
Send a copy of your ID and get a LEO discount.
I bought two.
Ended up giving then both away.
My lucky daughter and Doctor.