Carbine using glock 20 mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carbine using glock 20 mags

winn442
01-06-2010, 10:03
I had a Ruger P89 and a PC9 (which used the same mags) that were stolen. If they weren't, however, I probably never would have discovered the wonderful world of the 10mm and the Glock 20. But I love the 20, and want to convert a carbine to shoot the 10mm and use the Glock mag...Wishful thinking I know, but this is what I've come up with so far, and would like some input...

1. Kriss carbine- likely candidate since it uses a glock 21 mag....$1700 plus the cost of converting, never held one so I don't know if it can even be done...

2. Oly 10mm upper- around $750, but the glock mag is a smidgen too wide to fit in my AR lower, could maybe mill out two slots and make a two piece mag block....would take a lot of engineering for mag release, etc..the upper uses a straight mag and the Glock mag is angled, so not sure about feed issues.....

3. AK platform- can be engineered to shoot just about anything....could probably build one up with spare parts I have lying around, would just need a custom barrel built and fab a mag well... the 7.62 bolt head will hold a 10mm loosely, a 5.56 bolt head could probably be opened up a little to work... definately worth looking into....

4. Hi-Point .40- rechambering the barrel would be easy, but don't know if action could handle the 10mm......uses single stack mags, the plastic pistol grip could be easily machined out for the Glock mag, but I'm not sure if the reciever could be modified for it...would be the cheapest way to go for sure if it could be safely done...

5. Ruger PC4- These things are built like a tank, I'm sure it could handle 10mm with spring changes and maybe more mass on the auxilary weight that is in the forestock. Since they use Ruger P-series double stack mags, modifying the magwell should be easy....

The PC-4 is the most likely candidate, and is what I will pursue unless anyone has a better idea...

NordicG3K
01-07-2010, 17:26
MGI makes a Glock 20/21 magwell for their interchangeable lowers. Price is pretty steep though. I didn't see a specific 10mm upper listed on their website and I don't know if they're compatible with the Oly 10mm uppers.

MGI 10mm Magwell (http://www.mgimilitary.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=58&zenid=9d6e67f0f38f86259cdf98c8e4352837)

Myself
01-07-2010, 19:19
A couple of years ago MSAR said they were going to make a Aug knock off in 10mm using Glock mags. As far as I know it is still pending.

winn442
01-08-2010, 10:35
MGI makes a Glock 20/21 magwell for their interchangeable lowers. Price is pretty steep though. I didn't see a specific 10mm upper listed on their website and I don't know if they're compatible with the Oly 10mm uppers.

That looks like a good, though pricey option...their website shows the Glock 10mm magwell, but they don't list anything else for 10mm. $499 for a lower with the Glock magwell, and since I have a converted Saiga in .223 I could buy the ak magwell as well for an extra $275 and have common mags that way also with a .223 upper (I've got tons of 223 ak mags but only one AR mag)....certainly something to think about....but it'll end up with close to $2k by the time I got a 10mm upper.....

leadslinger13
01-10-2010, 08:12
suggest you do a search for this as it has been discussed before and you should be able to gleam some good info.

If cost is an issue as it is with me then the best option is the Mech Tech carbine. Uses glock lower and mags.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/glock.html

I used to have one for me 1911 and worked great. I have it on my list of 10 mm stuff right behind the long slide and 29. It is a nice to have fun thing to have.

After doing the research and agreeing the logic that your existing carbine AK or AR already does what the 10mm carbine would do and more (regarding terminal ballistics) and mags usually carry more ammo.

JMHO

PATRICE
01-10-2010, 11:16

why
01-10-2010, 17:08

leadslinger13
01-10-2010, 17:58
Hhmmm...someone told me once that there were ATF prohibitions with re: to converting a pistol into a carbine. Is that incorrect???--Patrice

couldn't tell you. I know that Mech Tech has been around for 10 or 15 years and are pretty well known so i am sure they have addressed those issues.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/technical.html

87'vette
01-11-2010, 12:16
Check these out.

http://www.guns-rifles-firearms.com/index_files/Page637.htm

leadslinger13
01-11-2010, 13:53
Check these out.

http://www.guns-rifles-firearms.com/index_files/Page637.htm

I have seen those and did some search of pasts posts and If memory serves me they had some real issues. Then years back the Mech Tech had some issues as well. There is a post of the velocities that Mike Mcnett (sp?) published with his Mech tech years back. I still think Mech Tech is best bang for the buck.

here is an old post on the subject

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092823

winn442
01-12-2010, 14:29
Not much info on their website..I called and they're sending some brocheres (sp) and a video....

DaGroaner
01-12-2010, 14:59
I would really like to convert my M1 Carbine to 10mm. I am surprised this isn't a popular conversion.

B.Reid
01-12-2010, 19:34
The FBI uses MP5's in 10mm all we need is a semi auto version of that!

winn442
01-13-2010, 08:41
What about an SKS? Can pick one up for around 150-175....would have to be rebarreled, unless the .312 barrel could be re-bored to .40...but then the first 1/2" or so of the chamber is too big.... then there is gas vs. blowback action....most AK and AR's chambered in pistol calibers are converted to blowback, though I have heard of some gas versions of both....
Still think the Ruger PC4 would be the way to go...rechamber from .40 S&W to 10mm....the magwell is part of the synthetic stock so it would be easy to modify...just need to get my hands on one for a couple of hours and take measurements....