What's this thing on my rear sight? (pics) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's this thing on my rear sight? (pics)

EM87
01-06-2010, 14:10
It folds up and down, doesn't affect the sight picture at all.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/mattmchgn/P1060059.jpg

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/mattmchgn/P1060057.jpg

GerryV
01-06-2010, 15:30
Its purpose is to raise the rear sight. You slide it forward as the distance to your target increases.

SidX
01-06-2010, 15:40
Probably has expired night sights in it or they have been painted over.

TedG954
01-06-2010, 15:41
Assuming this is a serious question (?), when you depress the button, you can slide the mechanism forward or back. The top of the slide has a point, or indicator. The numbers on the top of the sight correspond with the distance, in meters, that your sight is set on. As Gerry stated, you can raise and lower the sight, thus raising and lowering distance to target point of aim. Do some research on the web and learn how to use it. It may come in handy.

Good luck.

SidX
01-06-2010, 15:57
Probably has expired night sights in it or they have been painted over.

I see what you are talking about in the pics...

my762buzz
01-06-2010, 16:05
Its there to make the bullet speed go faster. Its a sliding bullet speed adjustment knob.
If you sqeeze it in when firing it makes the cyclic rate increase also.

EM87
01-06-2010, 17:33
It was a serious question! But I didn't explain it clearly, I suppose.

Sorry to all you who thought I was asking about the slider that adjusts the vertical sight picture. I was asking about the thing behind it that flips down. You can see it down in one pic and up in the other.

SidX suggested that they're expired night sights, or at least somewhere to put them if they haven't been installed before. That was my guess too, although I wanted to ask to see if others thought the same. I didn't include a picture of the back of the rear sight, but there are two small holes next to it exactly where night sights would go. Pretty cool! Can anyone suggest a good brand to install?

I got a good chuckle out of what my762buzz said:

"Its there to make the bullet speed go faster. Its a sliding bullet speed adjustment knob.
If you sqeeze it in when firing it makes the cyclic rate increase also."

Awesome. :P

GerryV
01-06-2010, 18:23
Aaahhh, "I see now", said the blind man. No idea what it's for. The night sight explanation makes sense.

EM87
01-06-2010, 18:29
Aaahhh, "I see now", said the blind man

...as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Nicoroshi
01-06-2010, 19:07
It is a flip up night sight normally found on Yugo's.
From the bulged front trunnion I can tell your rifle 'is' a Yugo.
There should also be a flap on the front sight (just below the actual sight post on the side opposite the muzzle) that houses the flip up front night sight.
The half life of tritium is about 12.5 years. After that it will not glow anymore.
On the Yugo M70AB2 kit that I am currently working on re-welding the milled receiver I decided to use some glow in the dark paint to bring back the functionality of the burned out tritium. You can find it at hobby shops or online.

EM87
01-06-2010, 20:56
It is a flip up night sight normally found on Yugo's.
From the bulged front trunnion I can tell your rifle 'is' a Yugo.
There should also be a flap on the front sight (just below the actual sight post on the side opposite the muzzle) that houses the flip up front night sight.
The half life of tritium is about 12.5 years. After that it will not glow anymore.
On the Yugo M70AB2 kit that I am currently working on re-welding the milled receiver I decided to use some glow in the dark paint to bring back the functionality of the burned out tritium. You can find it at hobby shops or online.

Woah, that's neat! I don't think this rifle has ever had night sights installed on it because when I look in those small holes I see what looks to be the same metal that the sights are made of within the slight recession of the holes. What I'm wondering now is how the night sights can be accurate if I had to adjust the front sight to sight in the rifle. That flip-up front sight doesn't move at all. Right now it's exactly behind the front sight post, but the rifle shoots consistently low left. How do I fix the accuracy of the night sights once I adjust the front sight post? It seems like I wouldn't be able to.

space_weazel
01-06-2010, 21:36
They are either expired tritium night sights or more likely photo active night sights, you know the stuff you expose to light and it will glow (not very brightly) for a little while, put your gun under a lamp for a minute or so and then go in to dark room and wait a minute for your eyes to adjust some and they will probably glow a little, unless they are old tritium in which case they may glow a little or not at all.....

Nicoroshi
01-06-2010, 22:37
Woah, that's neat! I don't think this rifle has ever had night sights installed on it because when I look in those small holes I see what looks to be the same metal that the sights are made of within the slight recession of the holes. What I'm wondering now is how the night sights can be accurate if I had to adjust the front sight to sight in the rifle. That flip-up front sight doesn't move at all. Right now it's exactly behind the front sight post, but the rifle shoots consistently low left. How do I fix the accuracy of the night sights once I adjust the front sight post? It seems like I wouldn't be able to.

I believe (meaning I am not sure on this but I personally haven't found a way) that the front flip up sight is non-adjustable.

Could be that the tritium has been drilled out also by whomever rebuilt your Yugo. The two small holes you speak of should be almost flush, and not 'holes'.
(Apologies for the slightly out of focus picture but you can get the idea)
My burned out Tritium on the re-weld milled receiver kit I am working on.
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1976/dscn3265.jpg

EM87
01-07-2010, 17:09
Nicoroshi, thanks for the info! I love learning new things about my AK!

DJ Niner
01-08-2010, 01:15
Woah, that's neat! I don't think this rifle has ever had night sights installed on it because when I look in those small holes I see what looks to be the same metal that the sights are made of within the slight recession of the holes. What I'm wondering now is how the night sights can be accurate if I had to adjust the front sight to sight in the rifle. That flip-up front sight doesn't move at all. Right now it's exactly behind the front sight post, but the rifle shoots consistently low left. How do I fix the accuracy of the night sights once I adjust the front sight post? It seems like I wouldn't be able to.As you cannot see or ID targets very far away in low-light conditions, they are generally intended for close range use. Close-in, the minor POA/POI difference wouldn't be a critical factor in hitting vs. missing the target.

EM87
01-08-2010, 01:25
As you cannot see or ID targets very far away in low-light conditions, they are generally intended for close range use. Close-in, the minor POA/POI difference wouldn't be a critical factor in hitting vs. missing the target.

Makes sense! Thanks. :D

Novocaine
01-08-2010, 16:29
Is it indeed the tritium that suppose to be there, not the paint? To me the thingie just doesn't look thick enough to house vials. Especially if the holes are blind.