The casefeeder and the 550. My ongoing saga. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The casefeeder and the 550. My ongoing saga.

Colorado4Wheel
01-06-2010, 20:56
Well, I have put at least 5K rounds through my new casefeeder. I really need to keep track. It's probably double that but who knows. Anyway it has started to act up lately. Cases bouncing out of the #1 station because of some oddities involved with the 550 casefeeder vs most others. 550 Casefeeder actually hit the case twice. On the downstroke it push the case in, as you raise the handle the case is touched again and that touch can bump the case out of the station a tad. Anyway, thats not really the problem. The casefeeder body/slider started to get this grinding. I finally got sick of it and called Dillon after doing all my own investigation. They are sending me new parts (naturally) but while I had them on the phone I talked to them about the 650/550 differences. 650 does not bump the case twice (I knew that just hadn't thought about it much). They said they would rebuild my casefeeder to make it a 650 casefeeder if I wanted to buy a 650. They even suggested I just give it to my friend who is going to the SHOT SHOW and they would take care of it that way. So I needed to load some ammo and put the standard stuff back on my 550. I loaded 300 rds in 26 mins and everything was perfect again. It just felt right. I may not put this casefeeder back on. I am really only marginally faster with the casefeeder. I do like some aspects but other parts are a little annoying. It just doesn't seem like a 550 should have a casefeeder. It's such a simple machine and the casefeeder complicates the 550. Anyway, just ranting. I'm bored.

Myke_Hart
01-07-2010, 05:46
It sucks you are having problems with it. Sounds like Dillon will make it good. I would give it another try after they do.

I do a lot of caliber changes and because of it the case feeder does add complexity to the whole mix, Once they are adjusted for a caliber they usually stay adjusted, but I love my case feeders and can't imagine life without them.

But then again I took the red pill (hornady LNL) a long time ago and haven't looked back. :tongueout:

I am sooo lazy I am even looking into the RCBS bullet feeder.:embarassed:

I guess next I will buy a machine to pull the arm for me when I get to old too do it anymore. :fred:

Bones507
01-07-2010, 06:00
Colorado, how many rounds do you figure you shoot a month, more or less. ? Im just curious.

DoctaGlockta
01-07-2010, 07:30
You and your 550 case feeder will be in my prayers tonight.

Colorado4Wheel
01-07-2010, 09:01
Colorado, how many rounds do you figure you shoot a month, more or less. ? Im just curious.

It really varies. At least 1000 if I practice only once a week. This week I will probably shoot 500+ rds.

I do a lot of caliber changes and because of it the case feeder does add complexity to the whole mix, Once they are adjusted for a caliber they usually stay adjusted, but I love my case feeders and can't imagine life without them.

But then again I took the red pill (hornady LNL) a long time ago and haven't looked back. :tongueout:

The LnL is designed around the casefeeder. So is the 650. 650 has very simple casefeeder adjustment. 550 has a add on plate to activate the case feeder slider. It's very different. 550 was never designed for the casefeeder. If people know they want a casefeeder get the 650 or LnL.

I am starting to come to a realization that maybe for me the casefeeder is really not a time saver. If I can do 600rds in less then a hour and have zero fiddle factor then perhaps for me I am better off with out the casefeeder on this machine. My next step very well might be to get a 650 and have this casefeeder reworked for that machine. 550 would handle everything but 9mm. I don't know. I really can't buy a new machine right now and I have plenty of time to load as a result.

Hoser
01-07-2010, 09:03
Get a 1050...

Everyone around you has one, or two.

You know you want to.

Colorado4Wheel
01-07-2010, 09:09
:crying::crying::crying:

So true.

Bones507
01-07-2010, 12:37
1000 ? I was thinking a lot more than that. Just for the reason you have the automatic casefeeder. If i make it once a week i am good for about the same, but lately its rare that i get out there that often. I was just curious.

Colorado4Wheel
01-07-2010, 12:45
It varies. Over 500 for this week alone. Normally, I practice twice a week at about 250 rds each, I do at least two Matchs a month @ 130rds each. That schedule puts me at 2400 or so a month. It just depends.

Edit: I hate to think about how much I shoot. 1K sounds nice. 2400rds sounds expensive.

Myke_Hart
01-07-2010, 15:05
1000 ? I was thinking a lot more than that. Just for the reason you have the automatic casefeeder. If i make it once a week i am good for about the same, but lately its rare that i get out there that often. I was just curious.

Even if you only load 100 on the press at one time the case feeder is a godsend. Heck sometimes while developing a load, I will put 10 cases in the tube... thats it. When I run out, I know its time to switch powder levels or components, and load 10 more. It helps me keep count/track. :embarassed:

You should get one, everyone needs one, all your friends have one, You should have one too.

Bones507
01-08-2010, 02:06
You should get one, everyone needs one, all your friends have one, You should have one too.

I got to remember that line, lol. :rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
01-08-2010, 08:54
You guys think he is joking. Nearly everyone I practice with loads on a 1050. Most have more then one.

Bob2223
01-08-2010, 09:37
You guys think he is joking. Nearly everyone I practice with loads on a 1050. Most have more then one.

I believe ya,
I have a friend that has two 1050s a 1000 and three 550s, plus some singles, 9 total on the bench and more not mounted including shot gun loaders. I'm like a kid in a toy store at his place but I always come back to reality and the fact that for the volume I shoot I have all the presses I need.
That 1000 sure is nice though,, :whistling:

Love your new avatar ! :supergrin:

Bob

Colorado4Wheel
01-08-2010, 10:05
Love your new avatar ! :supergrin:

Bob

It was just too good to pass up. Not sure how long I will keep it up. Long enough to get the proper reaction at least. :rofl:

ron59
01-08-2010, 10:24
It was just too good to pass up. Not sure how long I will keep it up. Long enough to get the proper reaction at least. :rofl:

Excuse my ignorance, but is that a Lee Turret or something? It's certainly not a DILLON !!

That thing got an FCD on it? :whistling:

Bob2223
01-08-2010, 10:55
that's not a DILLON !!

Ron
Wanting the best equip Steve did a lot of serious research and finally went with the red team.
You can tell he's really proud of the new LNL !
Being so excited over the wonderful mechine he took the pic for his avatar before he even got it all unpacked!

Bob

Colorado4Wheel
01-08-2010, 10:59
That is a properly running LnL my friends. You can also use the rubber band to entertain yourself for hours and hours.

Colorado4Wheel
01-08-2010, 11:00
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14499523&postcount=34

Bones507
01-09-2010, 03:22
That is a properly running LnL my friends. You can also use the rubber band to entertain yourself for hours and hours.

My buddy who i cast with was going to get a Dillon for months, this was all i heard about. What happens two weeks ago ? He gets the LNL ! I was laughing and was busting his chops a little after all the Dillon talk. But i guess it will work out all right, i really havent read of anyone saying anything negative about it and this guys good at figuring out problems when they occur. Now hes on my case to come into the 21st century and get a progressive instead of my RC. I told him i still have a rotary phone at home and a tube tv so it will probably take me a lot longer to convert, lol.

I would like to ask a question without starting another thread if no one minds.
On a turret press, do the majority of people mount their powder hopper on the press or bench mount it ? Reason im asking is i was thinking with all the the thumping it must take when lifting and lowering the turret, wouldnt it not take too much to maybe throw some inconsistent charges or perhaps come off its settings and go higher or lower ? I would assume you would be checking every 5th round or so. Its just something i was thinking about is all.

Colorado4Wheel
01-09-2010, 09:23
I was just joking about the LnL. It seems we at Glocktalk have come to a place were we can accept that all the machines have their strengths and weaknesses. To be fair. Hornady has a simple part they will ship you for free that solves that issue. So in the end it's a non issue. 2 years ago everyone seemed to act like everything they had was perfect. Now, not so much. I think thats good. Anyway.

About the turret. On the LCT (my only experiance) the Powder measure is designed to go on the turret. It swings around whith each cycle of the handle. I never had a issue. I always tried to be consistent so the powder was moved the same each time. The powder measure moves 4 times for each one time it throws a charge. So when you are setting the measure it it's best to move the handle 4 times to get the powder to settle the same as when you are actually loading. I check every 100rds. I know thats not what a lot of people do but I can see my powder, I can easily visually tell how it sits in the case compared to the mark left by the bullet. Both the Lee and the Dillon measures are very consistent in my book. Well, I had issues with the Lee Powder Measure and the adjustable charge bar. Besides that mine was great. Adjustable charge bar does not like small volume settings is the only thing. No other Turret works like the Lee with the auto indexing setup so it's unique and is the only one that really loads like a "Progressive Turret". The rest are more like Single Stages with preloaded stations that you rotate the handle by hand for each change.

Bones507
01-10-2010, 04:48
Thanks Steve, i was always wondering about that.