Thank you! (from noob questions DD, Colt, build, buy) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thank you! (from noob questions DD, Colt, build, buy)

txpitdog
01-06-2010, 21:07
Thanks to all who chimed in, and particular Furioso, for the help with my thousand questions (okay it was only 5 actual questions and 40hrs over-researching on the internet). Today, I placed my order for a BCM lower, BCM mid-length upper with DD Omega 9 rail, and 2 30rd PMags. I am short a rear sight, but by the time all this gear comes in I will have saved enough to get a good flip-up BUIS.

I was over thinking and freaking out over the minute differences and it finally occurred that they were all the same upper receiver, and the difference in cost was just the rail (except for the SS or BFH barrels). I almost got the Troy rail, because the sling mount was on the rail, not the front sight, but the info I found on Troy didn't seem like it was free floated, and I know the Omega is.

My buddy ordered a Millet DMS-1 this week, and if it shoots good on his Bushmasater, I'll add one to my BCM later.

I'm excited about this rifle, because I know its built to take abuse, which means it oughta outlast me. I also have a DPMS AP4 .308, and although I'm sure it will outlast me as well, the more I've read, the more I've learned that its more of a sporting rifle with "tactical leanings". I will give my AP4 this much though - it will shoot 1.25" groups at 100yds using iron sights. Can't ask for much more than that as long as it's reliable.

Thanks again, and I can't wait to assemble it and take it to the range to shut my cousin and his obnoxious spray and pray AK47 right the hell up.

NeverMore1701
01-06-2010, 21:09
Great choices all around. Take a hard look at the Troy rear BUIS.

RMTactical
01-06-2010, 21:21
I would get the MBUS from Magpul unless you just have money to burn.

That said, if you have extra $$ I would recommend saving it for a better optic. That said, dollar for dollar, the Millett DMS-1 is a good optic. My thoughts on it, it works decent for what it is, but I don't feel like it works great at anything.

I wrote a review on mine. If I had one big gripe about it, I wish it had more eye relief.

http://www.ar15pro.net/2008/08/millet-dms-1-optic.html

That said, I think you made good choices so far.

space_weazel
01-06-2010, 22:42
I would get the MBUS from Magpul unless you just have money to burn.

That said, if you have extra $$ I would recommend saving it for a better optic. That said, dollar for dollar, the Millett DMS-1 is a good optic. My thoughts on it, it works decent for what it is, but I don't feel like it works great at anything.

I wrote a review on mine. If I had one big gripe about it, I wish it had more eye relief.

http://www.ar15pro.net/2008/08/millet-dms-1-optic.html

That said, I think you made good choices so far.

Having used one your self I have heard from some that, at least on the early ones, when they were dialed back to 1x they tended to fisheye have you noticed this?

Thanks

RMTactical
01-06-2010, 22:52
No, I haven't noticed that but I keep it magnified 90% of the time.

Nutt51
01-07-2010, 17:27
Dog,

Great choice. I think you are going to be very,very happy with your AR.
I have a BCM mid upper and ordered the lower on 21Dec, they shipped
it today, can't wait. I am also going with either the Troy folding
or a LaRue fixed rear sight.
You did good, research, they buy what you want.
Save up and take a little extra time and buy quality items that will last
you. You have a great start.
Don't forget to post pics when you get it all together. Luck.

furioso2112
01-08-2010, 18:36
Hey, alright! Nice choice. That should be a great shooter, and has a retentive's mental plus for being 'matched' (all BCM). Have fun. I can't remember if it's the Omega or Lite rails that have the sling swivel mounts in them...but you'll have a nice surprise if yours shows up with them. Nice way to start out, regardless.