The big one [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The big one

EL COLONEL
01-07-2010, 22:28
As deer season here in Texas is almost over i'm just wandering did anybody kill the big one this year ???? Pics................:wavey:

EL COLONEL
01-08-2010, 16:19
Anyone??

EL COLONEL
01-10-2010, 11:53
HHmmmmmm.................................................:dunno:

CanyonMan
01-10-2010, 12:22
Well Amigo. Looks like no one got the "big one," or there still lookin.

I never fired a shot out here on deer this season. I still have till the 16th to get doe only meat in the freezer though. I just have not had the time....

Hated to see ya sittin here alone. !

Best answer I got.

Good shooting.

CanyonMan

EL COLONEL
01-10-2010, 18:43
c:cool:annyon man thanks , This is my first year hunting deer . Killed a small 7 point and a mediumish 8 point that was my big one i guess . Just wanted to see What everybody else got.........

noway
01-10-2010, 21:47
I didn't even find the small one this season ;)

EL COLONEL
01-11-2010, 16:07
noway, maybe next time. I wish you well.........................:wavey:

CanyonMan
01-11-2010, 16:09
c:cool:annyon man thanks , This is my first year hunting deer . Killed a small 7 point and a mediumish 8 point that was my big one i guess . Just wanted to see What everybody else got.........

Buddy let me tell ya something. Any deer you got legal, and hunted for, and shot and killed, and cleaned and ate, was the "big one." ;)

I know what you mean (rack size and body weight etc), and that is great. But weather you get a buck or a doe. Just be proud of that and your accomplisment, and the fun you had and go on. Those big boys don't taste near as dang good anyway. ;)

Sounds like you did yourself proud. Keep up the good work Hoss !

you keep this up and I may have to come bum some venison off you man! :supergrin:

Good hunting.

CanyonMan

CanyonMan
01-11-2010, 16:14
I didn't even find the small one this season ;)

Well man, what the heck is wrong with you DAVY ? You usually have a truck load of stuff by now. Did ya get out much, or was it weather or other things. What happened ? I figured 'for sure' a deer story or two from you buy now. Bow and muzzle loader, and regular season.....?????

You may have to fall back on last years stash in the freezer, or else learn to cook deer antler soup..... :wow:

CM

gruntmedik
01-11-2010, 16:24
I got a 3 pointer that dressed about 150lbs. Good thing I decided to take him, cause I didn't see another deer all season. :sigh:

EL COLONEL
01-11-2010, 18:34
Cannyon thank you and thanks to everyone . Good day.........:cool:

noway
01-12-2010, 09:22
Well man, what the heck is wrong with you DAVY ? You usually have a truck load of stuff by now. Did ya get out much, or was it weather or other things. What happened ? I figured 'for sure' a deer story or two from you buy now. Bow and muzzle loader, and regular season.....?????

You may have to fall back on last years stash in the freezer, or else learn to cook deer antler soup..... :wow:

CM

Will this year has been tuff. I've only had 2 shot ops htis whole season, dow during archery but she was not in range, wrong angle and just bad luck all around.

Doe during anterless season, I plug her with buckshot ( wa sout hunting hogs ) never found a drop of blood nor deer. I have maybe one more weekend end and I'm not even sure if I'm going to go.

CanyonMan
01-12-2010, 11:55
Will this year has been tuff. I've only had 2 shot ops htis whole season, dow during archery but she was not in range, wrong angle and just bad luck all around.

Doe during anterless season, I plug her with buckshot ( wa sout hunting hogs ) never found a drop of blood nor deer. I have maybe one more weekend end and I'm not even sure if I'm going to go.

Wow, this was just not your year (2009). Stuff happens like that sometimes, when it seems that nothing seems to go right for some reason. Well turkey season won't be far off for ya there I reckon. Youl'll probably get a bird or two. What ever y'all are allowed down there.

Sorry things went sour for ya... Just look forward to gobbler season coming up. ;)

Later Amigo.

CanyonMan

vafish
01-12-2010, 12:08
I'm not in Texas so I didn't respond.

Our buck season is over now, but in some counties we can continue to shoot antler-less deer until March (which will include the bucks by then some are already starting to drop their antlers).

I shot 2 smaller bucks back during archery season posted pictures of them around here some place, and shot 2 doe during rifle season.

EL COLONEL
01-12-2010, 13:14
Vafish, didnt mean to single anyone out, thats not me, i just know that Texas deer are smaller than other places like kansas or canada , thats all i meant. Heck anybody that got a deer is welcome to post.........:wavey:

357glocker
01-13-2010, 18:36
Sounds like you had a successful first deer season, Congrats!

All together I got my six permits filled and a bonus archery coyote.

Took 2 with the muzzle loader in Oct. during a special refuge hunt.
Took my first archery deer the day before rifle season.
One doe the next morning for rifle opener.
Killed my first archery buck on Dec 1st. You can see pics if you look for the Nebraska Archery buck.
And last Monday shot my final deer for the season with the 7mag at about 200yrds when the temp was -11. That deer marked my 30th! Good way to end the season.

EL COLONEL
01-14-2010, 03:03
357, How do you like that 7mag?, and how big was the deer you shot with it?, Did it run? Details please.......:wavey:

357glocker
01-14-2010, 19:56
I have had that Rem 700 7mag since 1996 I believe. Over half of my deer have been shot with this rifle, and a guy I work with shot his first several deer with it. I have taken deer of all sizes from yearling 40-60lb'rs all the way up to a very big bodied buck and alot of nice does in there as well. I use 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips handloaded to @2950FPS. Never had an issue with it killing a deer! I've had them drop in place at the shot, I've had them take a few steps, and I've had them run up to 90ish yards with a good chest shot.
The deer I shot last monday was a medium sized body buck that had already shed its antlers. We were actually going for revolver kills that day and I had my 357mag on me but with the temps the way they were I was going to take the first deer I saw even if that meant waiting till next year to take one with the 357mag, so I brought the rifle too. So we got to the spot just after shooting light and it was -11*. Got to walking to the spot I was going to sit and 5mins into the walk I was looking into the treeline and saw a doe. She was a good 150yrds away and did not know I was there so I took a kneeling position to get a steady shot. Problem was there was some taller grass and her angle I was just not comfortable with the shot. My buddy came walking behind me and another deer must have saw him and ran along the edge of the trees. I was still kneeling and the deer stopped about 200yrds. Nice broadside shot. I took the shot, the funny thing is normally I don't really hear the shot or feel the recoil when shooting at game. For some reason this time I heard the crack of the rifle?? Anyway, the deer jumped in the air I'm guessing 3-4 feet, mule kicked the back legs and sprawled the fronts then took off down a ravine into the trees. I knew I made a good hit and my buddy said the same. Went down to where it was standing and saw huge blood splatter on the snow from the bullet exit. Heavy blood trail went for 20-30 yards where the deer was laying dead. The shot was right in the shoulder pocket and exited the same on the other.
Do you know what a fun time it is dragging a 120ish pound deer through 2ft of snow and drifts up to your hips! Even with a sled it would've of wore me out dredging through that stuff!
For me the 7mag is a great deer caliber. I've shot the rifle so many times and am so comfortable and confident in it that it will always be my primary deer gun. I've experimented with other calibers while hunting and they have all done the job also, but I have a bond with this one!

mossy500camo
01-14-2010, 21:15
nope not this year.... =-(

vGnzlz
01-14-2010, 21:24
EL COLONEL....:wavey:..i live south of you in corpus christi.... and Im still rather new to hunting.... second year... i hunt near Benavides Tx, which is south of San Diego Tx........i shot a doe at about 250-260yrs....with a borrowed 30-30. (lucky shot maybe?) (my rifle was out of commission). probably wont go for the balance of the season..... so.....NO BIG BUCKS this year.... maybe next year.....

ps....ALL HOGS.... be advised..... your next.....:supergrin:

EL COLONEL
01-15-2010, 02:58
357, Thanks..............V, glad you got a doe. Funny you said benavides as im suppose to go tue. with a buddy for doe to his ranch in benavides.....:wavey:

EL COLONEL
01-15-2010, 02:59
Mossy , I wish you well next season.....................:wavey:

vGnzlz
01-15-2010, 21:55
357, Thanks..............V, glad you got a doe. Funny you said benavides as im suppose to go tue. with a buddy for doe to his ranch in benavides.....:wavey:

i wish you luck....:supergrin:

EL COLONEL
01-18-2010, 17:38
Thank you all................:wavey:

GVFlyer
01-19-2010, 10:33
Only small deer this year - taken with a .243 Sako with 105 grain Speer Hot Cor hand loads.

bustedknee
01-19-2010, 17:11
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/DSCF6939.jpg

CanyonMan
01-19-2010, 19:58
I have had that Rem 700 7mag since 1996 I believe. Over half of my deer have been shot with this rifle, and a guy I work with shot his first several deer with it. I have taken deer of all sizes from yearling 40-60lb'rs all the way up to a very big bodied buck and alot of nice does in there as well. I use 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips handloaded to @2950FPS. Never had an issue with it killing a deer! I've had them drop in place at the shot, I've had them take a few steps, and I've had them run up to 90ish yards with a good chest shot.
The deer I shot last monday was a medium sized body buck that had already shed its antlers. We were actually going for revolver kills that day and I had my 357mag on me but with the temps the way they were I was going to take the first deer I saw even if that meant waiting till next year to take one with the 357mag, so I brought the rifle too. So we got to the spot just after shooting light and it was -11*. Got to walking to the spot I was going to sit and 5mins into the walk I was looking into the treeline and saw a doe. She was a good 150yrds away and did not know I was there so I took a kneeling position to get a steady shot. Problem was there was some taller grass and her angle I was just not comfortable with the shot. My buddy came walking behind me and another deer must have saw him and ran along the edge of the trees. I was still kneeling and the deer stopped about 200yrds. Nice broadside shot. I took the shot, the funny thing is normally I don't really hear the shot or feel the recoil when shooting at game. For some reason this time I heard the crack of the rifle?? Anyway, the deer jumped in the air I'm guessing 3-4 feet, mule kicked the back legs and sprawled the fronts then took off down a ravine into the trees. I knew I made a good hit and my buddy said the same. Went down to where it was standing and saw huge blood splatter on the snow from the bullet exit. Heavy blood trail went for 20-30 yards where the deer was laying dead. The shot was right in the shoulder pocket and exited the same on the other.
Do you know what a fun time it is dragging a 120ish pound deer through 2ft of snow and drifts up to your hips! Even with a sled it would've of wore me out dredging through that stuff!
For me the 7mag is a great deer caliber. I've shot the rifle so many times and am so comfortable and confident in it that it will always be my primary deer gun. I've experimented with other calibers while hunting and they have all done the job also, but I have a bond with this one!

Just wanted to say say.... Glad to see another 7MM rem Mag Man around. I use it from deer to moose. I roll my own and love this caliber. Out of all the other really great calibers out there, I simply find this as an old friend. Great caliber and rifle in the rem 700.

Good shooting/ hunting to ya Hoss. ;)

CanyonMan

CanyonMan
01-19-2010, 20:00
BTW... Great story as well. aslo a fan of the 357mag....

CM

EL COLONEL
01-20-2010, 10:50
Busted knee, Great looking buck!!

bustedknee
01-20-2010, 15:21
Busted knee, Great looking buck!!

Thanks. Bought my retirement home where I can hunt. If this is my first season I can hardly wait.

EL COLONEL
01-20-2010, 16:30
Busted knee , That must be very nice ! Wish i had it like that!!!!

annieO09
01-20-2010, 17:23
I live in Tennesse and since you asked about our hunting experiences I will have to post my buck pic. He dressed out at aproximately 165 lbs. I did get a doe a few days prior to him. Next year will be better and I will be more prepared with my hunting locations.

EL COLONEL
01-20-2010, 20:23
009, Thankx..:wavey:

jjsobba
01-30-2010, 07:10
I live in Kansas and shot a very heavy 8point that scored 150! Not huge for Kansas but big for me. Shot him with a Sako 25-06 with 117gr sierra gameking.

EL COLONEL
01-30-2010, 09:42
jjsobba, Very intrested if you want to tell the story of how the 25-06 preformed. Where did you hit the deer ? did he run ? details please..............:supergrin:

jjsobba
01-30-2010, 10:23
Hit him in the Lungs at about 220 yards. Only ran about 25 yards and fell. The 25-06 is my favorite round. I have had very good luck with it. I een use it elk hunting. Alot of people will say it is too small but I have killed 3 elk with it with no problem. It is all about shot placement.

EL COLONEL
01-30-2010, 11:05
Thank you...:wavey:

profiler999
02-02-2010, 15:39
Come on....y'all have to have deer, they are everywhere. You just have to look. Next goal is to pop one with a .45acp!

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/profiler999/deer1.jpg

EL COLONEL
02-02-2010, 16:48
That deer sure is different ! What did you shoot it with ? How far ? Details please !!!!!!! Also where do you live ? ...........................:wavey:

jjsobba
02-04-2010, 15:21
I be he had a hard time fighting!

profiler999
02-05-2010, 12:53
That deer sure is different ! What did you shoot it with ? How far ? Details please !!!!!!! Also where do you live ? ...........................:wavey:

Holmes County, MS on the Big Black River. 125 yards dropped right in his tracks with a Sako 85 .300wsm topped with a swarovski scope. I'm confident up to 300 yards with it. I love the short mag cartridge. I was observing about 10 different deer at the time this one walked out.

EL COLONEL
02-05-2010, 16:02
999 , Thank you . Was just wondering where such a different looking deer came from. Thanks for the details.......................................:wavey:

ranger1179
02-28-2010, 07:39
this is mine from November 09.

EL COLONEL
02-28-2010, 19:10
Ranger , where in Texas are u ? Nice deer ! DETAILS please......:wavey: