Range Report Mossberg 590 Marinecote (12 ga, 20" bbl) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Range Report Mossberg 590 Marinecote (12 ga, 20" bbl)

zorkd
01-08-2010, 08:20
Having been told that the likelihood of my new shotgun getting released before the dreaded Jan 10 date was very slim I was not expecting a call from my dealer informing me that the unit was ready for release. They added that I better hurry up since the transport permit would only be good for the next 24 hours.

The Armscor range was just a few steps away and I decided to test fire and pattern the shotgun.

In the box you have the manual, safety pamphlets, nra forms, cable lock, pistol grip for people who are not too fond of their wrists. The usual.

The marinecote finish was even and looked like it would withstand the elements (as it should). Pump action was smooth enough but I expect it to glide better with use. Trigger pull was very decent, no slack to take up, very little over travel, breaks crisp at around 6lbs in my best estimate. Don't put too much stock on my description, I am so used to Glock's mushy triggers, anything single action is quite a departure from the normal for me. It's quite a large gun, a bit front heavy when fully loaded (eight 2.75" shells in the magtube). I think the length of pull could be reduced just a tad for a better fit for a shooter my size. The bead was not as visible as I thought it would be under indoor lighting but I think it will get the job done.

The steel backstops have been removed (audiologist shop upstairs complaining of resonance) so I was told that shotguns would be limited to #4 shot or smaller.

First two rounds fired, and cycled normally. Felt recoil was a bit stout even with birdshot, I imagine using 3" slugs could cut down my shooting expense by limiting the rounds I woud be willing to fire. Pattern of birdshot was about a few inches short of the width of the IDPA board from 12 yards or so if I remember correctly with a rather large hole where the wadding/cup went through. On the third round I got sticky extraction. Maybe just needs breaking in I thought. However by the time I got to round 20, it was obvious something was wrong. Every two rounds or so I got sticky extraction and had to jerk/buttslap the action open, twice I got failures to extract (shell left in the chamber), and one shell had the rim torn off where the starboard extractor effected its purchase. (the 590 has dual extractors with slightly different dimensions)

Brought it back to Twin Pines and showed them the stuck shell inside the chamber and the action refusing to budge with normal force. Manager asked that the similar display model be unwrapped to see if there was any visual difference. Not seeing anything they recommended another ammo brand. Green shelled #9 shot (can't remember the brand, RIO I think). Out of ten rounds, two gave me sticky extraction.

My trusted expert from SOE took a gander and suggested that the extractors were probably installed improperly, that they were reversed (the one on the left should be on the right & vv). The explanation was sound and appears to be consistent with what was being observed.

Since its still under warranty I'll let Twin Pine's gunsmith give his diagnosis and proposed fix.

Two extractors are better than one? Not in this instance.

PMMA97
01-08-2010, 15:40
Hecho en Mexico anyone?

zorkd
01-09-2010, 09:56
the mavericks are, i think.

enting
01-09-2010, 22:09
I also bought from twinpines mossbrg 500 14" barrel special purpose the bolt, feed ramp & fore-end assembly was very rough like a Norinco. Small dent in d mag tube & very small hump/bulge inside d barrel. Barrel was not properly blued you can see inside the bore that the front sight was silvered soldered. The front sight blade come loose after about 100rounds. Deep dents inside the receiver around d rear sight screws & scratches, scribe lines on d finish. I sold both mossberg & norinco(very rough as what you expect from china but atleast its half the price of d mossy). My Mossberg functioned well except for that front sight blade coming loose.

rml
01-11-2010, 01:52
thinking of getting either the 500 or the 590 too... any other mossy owners care to chime in? it seems more SG owners enjoy their hatsans...

userfriendly
01-11-2010, 07:12
Have a 1 year old Maverick. Shot about 100 rounds of different brands. Mixed 00 buck, and birdshot. No problems.

Recoil is stiff. Can probably improve if I can find someone who knows how to cut down the synthetic stock.

zorkd
01-11-2010, 08:52
tell me (and my bruised shoulder) about it, i'm looking for limbsaver recoil pads, to allow for extended shooting sessions.

userfriendly
01-12-2010, 05:04
tell me (and my bruised shoulder) about it, i'm looking for limbsaver recoil pads, to allow for extended shooting sessions.

Someone once told me those bruises are "battle scars". I also get them after shooting my SG. 25 rounds is about my limit. I was told that we get bruises bec we are shouldering the gun incorrectly.

If you find limbsaver recoil pads, let me know I want one too.

zorkd
01-12-2010, 05:13
the butt slipped on one round and it gave me a nasty bruise, but if you plant it correctly and hold on tight extended shooting can be managed.

goodtj
01-12-2010, 08:34
if your right handed left foot forward body also leaning forward sg firmly planted on your shoulder cheek on the stock and roll with the recoil don't resist it so you can minimize bruising on your shoulder

zorkd
01-12-2010, 16:25
yup, nose over left foot's toes, butt planted, cheek welded. pump and go.

good fun.

matches? not anytime soon (like June soon).

Just by a longshot, does anybody have a 12 ga chamber flexhone they are willing to lend or rent?

zorkd
01-15-2010, 04:37
rough chamber was cause of sticking.

gunsmith took one look and said yep, thats mossberg quality alright.

first and last mossberg i'll ever buy.