are all lowers finish the same???mix matching different brands.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : are all lowers finish the same???mix matching different brands..

jaxxx
01-08-2010, 18:11
IM looking to build my AR, I found some stag uppers for sale and maybe picking up a different brand lower to pair up with the upper... would the finish look off?? would fitment be loose?

Just wondering if I should stick to the same brands

TheChosenOne
01-08-2010, 18:12
It can. It just depends.

Javelin
01-08-2010, 18:54
Finish color varies for the most part by brand and even time periods.

lawman800
01-08-2010, 23:52
Parkerizing is not the most even of finishes in terms of color and you have to account for different manufacturing times and thickness and baking time and whatnot... so... NO, probably won't be an exact match but the zombie won't care once you blow its head off.

TheChosenOne
01-09-2010, 00:23
Parkerizing?

RMTactical
01-09-2010, 03:17
Finish color varies for the most part by brand and even time periods.

This is true. I have a DD sling mount on one of my AR15's and the thing is purple. All the rest of them that I own are black.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/IMG_0120.jpg

You can see how that piece contrasts with the receivers.

You get similar things with other various AR15 receivers or any anodized aluminum.

For the most part, uppers and lowers will match fairly well. I have had good luck with it for the most part and I have done my fair share of builds, not just for me, but helping friends and family.

I wouldn't be too concerned.

jaxxx
01-09-2010, 12:32
So which part should I spend more $$ on ... The upper or lower??

RMTactical
01-09-2010, 14:21

Definitely the upper is the more critical of the two.

If I wanted to have the best price for the best quality, I would buy a Stag lower and a BCM upper.

Your entire gun would be about as close to milspec as possible for the best price.

lawman800
01-09-2010, 18:48

Short answer. Yes.

The upper has the bolt and gas tube and rails for all your cool stuff.

The lower has the trigger group, hammer, sear and the nifty little springs and pins that hold everything together.

Which one do you want working perfectly? Or is it both?