Name parts of your AR15 that broke [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Name parts of your AR15 that broke

TheChosenOne
01-09-2010, 00:16
something else that would be helpful is, how many rounds, who made the part, stuff like that.

faawrenchbndr
01-09-2010, 05:25
The ONLY breakage I've ever had was on a Bushmaster
The bolt release cracked in half. Round count was about 4500

01-09-2010, 07:17
The NM hammer on my RRA LAR15 Elite broke in 2 pieces while dry firing. The gun only had about 300 rounds thru it at the time.

NeverMore1701
01-09-2010, 07:30
Only part that ever broke on me was a bolt that sheared a lug. Then again it was in an M16A2 training gun that was on it's last cycle before refurb, so god only knows how many rounds it had through it.

joe138
01-09-2010, 13:09
Bolt sheared a lug on M4 that started life as an M16 A1. Who knows how many rounds through it. Interestingly, the weapon did not malfunction, I found the damage while cleaning.

Onmilo
01-09-2010, 15:45
Commercial extension tube and stock on M4 type carbine.
Knocked rifle off bench onto concrete pad, broke the stock latch and bent the tube bad enough the bolt wouldn't cycle any longer.
I have had snapped and mashed gas rings, a couple disconnector springs go south and have stripped the thread on a detachable carry handle securing screw.

I have yet to break a bolt but have repaired rifles for others that have.

Since this is an AR15 thread I won't mention the broken auto sears and snapped selectors on full auto guns.
Broken bolts or sheared bolt lugs weren't uncommon either.
The most common problems with the military guns were broken furniture, bent gas tubes, the pesky gas rings, and loose flash suppressors/battered bayonet lugs from bayonet practice/use.

lawman800
01-10-2010, 00:59
Gas tube, broke on the 1st round. Gun wouldn't cycle, was a single shot. Had it replaced and works fine.

den308
01-10-2010, 23:17
That stupid cotter pin and the extractor spring.

CW Mock
01-11-2010, 03:24
Magazine ...

No matter how many rounds I put in them, I seem to lose them all someplace after going to the range. What kind of defective POS needs to be constantly refilled? My wife is beginning to wonder why I need more ammo "to fill my magazines" when I have supposedly already filled them ... :rofl:

All joking aside, I have not had any major failure. I did have a bad magazine with a crappy black plastic follower which got stomped flat and used as a scraper to get mud off of boots. That's about it.

johnson8861
01-11-2010, 04:12
The section of the lower receiver adjacent to the buffer spring pin broke out and allowed the buffer to move forward while the weapon was firing. the weapon in question was a Colt brand M-4 approximately 4 years old, unkown round count.

Mnukedude
01-11-2010, 05:45
Can't give you any info on round counts, but I have worked as an armorer in the Army in a basic training unit. We had about 260 M16A2's. I was there for about a year and a half. I saw 2 or 3 broken bolts, 4-5 snapped off front sight posts, about a dozen broken ejection port cover door springs, and I lost count of the number of extractor pins and firing pin retaining pins the troops collectively lost.

After I got into nuclear security, I've noticed that plastic trigger guards (are you listening Bushmaster?!) tend to break under hard use (I've seen 3-4 of those). We've had a few disconnectors give out on us, too. I'll know better what's going on as time goes on as I was recently appoiinted as one of the armorers here.

Shooting these rifles on my own time, I've seen a couple of broken extractors and worn out extractor springs, replaced a bent firing pin retaining pin, and tossed a few worn out magazines.

Onmilo
01-11-2010, 07:59
+1 on firing pin retainer pins and extractor pins getting lost but those parts are replaced at Unit level, gas rings too, but nobody could seem to diagnose these as being the problem so the weapon would come back to depot.

Sgt_Gold
01-11-2010, 11:19
The only part I've actually broken on an AR-15 is the bolt release catch. It was a cast part and it just snaped.

On M-16's I see the firing pin retaining pin (cotter pin), and the extractor spring get broken most often. The cotter pin is cheap POS part that can break with no warning and for no reason. The extractor spring should get replaced every 2k-3k rounds regardless of operation.

Onmilo
01-11-2010, 19:29
About those bolt retaining pins, A.K.A. cotter pins, which is what they are.
Anyway, see the solid ones in this picture? The nice Machined, hardened, and hard chromed pins?
http://www.fototime.com/16DD873E5D316E4/standard.jpg
The sucky company everybody loves to slam, you know the one, from Minnesota,,,,(DPMS for the still mildly dense.)
Anyway, they still offer these pins.
They aren't cheap at about $5 each but they never break, wear out, or bend.
Great stuff, highly recommended as long as you aren't inclined to lose your pin.

phonejack
01-12-2010, 09:29
front hinge pin on a colt. had about 1500 rnds.thru it at the time. occured at a match. found a nail that would fit and finished the day.oh, it snapped clean in half.

TheChosenOne
01-13-2010, 19:20
About those bolt retaining pins, A.K.A. cotter pins, which is what they are.
Anyway, see the solid ones in this picture? The nice Machined, hardened, and hard chromed pins?
http://www.fototime.com/16DD873E5D316E4/standard.jpg
The sucky company everybody loves to slam, you know the one, from Minnesota,,,,(DPMS for the still mildly dense.)
Anyway, they still offer these pins.
They aren't cheap at about $5 each but they never break, wear out, or bend.
Great stuff, highly recommended as long as you aren't inclined to lose your pin.

Thanks for posting that.

novan3
01-14-2010, 00:50
Overtightened my MBUS one night... Doh!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/novan3/Photo-000Q.jpg

Onmilo
01-14-2010, 08:29
Overtightened my MBUS one night... Doh!

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/novan3/Photo-000Q.jpg

You'll only do that once!:supergrin:

PlasticGuy
01-14-2010, 09:12
I've worn parts out to the point where they needed to be replaced, which has typically meant a complete bolt rebuild kit. I also wore out one trigger group. The only part I've actually broken was an extractor. These were all on rifles I bought used, so I don't know round counts for them. I now have Colts that I bought new and document my rounds fired, so I have a regular replacement schedule.

We go through so many rounds through our Colts at work (nuclear security) that it would be an excellent case study for semi-auto parts wear and replacement, but we have a very agressive parts replacement schedule that keeps us from wearing out or breaking things 99% of the time. While that takes away from the research project, it's probably a good thing. The only parts I've seen break in training have been a couple of extractors.

bfoosh006
01-14-2010, 09:45
Wore out one trigger from use....thats it from 20+ years of use.

RMTactical
01-14-2010, 14:38
I do my PM pretty well. None of my personal AR15's have had a part break on them. If I didn't do PM, I am positive I would have broken something by now. Give it some time, I am sure I will... :supergrin:

I just like to always have a working gun. If I suspect something will break soon, I replace it.

That said, I think this thread does well to serve as a reminder of which things to keep spares of or to replace.

ArmoryDoc
01-14-2010, 15:58
Charging handle latch pulled right through the roll pin on a Stag upper. About 300 rounds through it. Gun still ran. Replaced it with a BCM.

NeverMore1701
01-14-2010, 16:07
Just looking at this thread I see I'm on the right track with the spares I plan on keeping in the gun. Cam pin, cotter pin, bolt, firing pin, batteries, oil, ear plugs.