Help with some new sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with some new sights

jerryrigger
01-09-2010, 10:49
I'm looking to replace the sights on my G23, or at least the rear sight. When I bought it, it came with green front/green rear tritiums, and I just don't prefer this combo-I find I focus on the front sight much better with at most a single rear dot.

So, I have two questions:

1. I'm trying to figure out exactly what sights and sizes I currently have on my G23 so that I can figure out if I'm going to want to replace the entire set to get the POA/POI combination I want (where POI sits right on top of my front out to at least 25 yards, past that I don't really mind experimenting to figure it out, as most of my shooting doesn't reach 50 yards). They are Trijicons, marked 08 on the rear and 07 on the front. I'm not sure if the original owner of this pistol put them on as aftermarket sights or got them new with the 23. I've searched around, but I can't find a place where the Trijicon sight heights are spelled out the way some other manufacturers tell you the exact heights and notch widths.

2. For monetary reasons, I can't really use trial and error to figure out which of the sights I'm considering will work best, and since this is (sadly) my only Glock, I can't justify ordering more than one set. I have searched and found many threads related to each of these sights, but I was wondering if anyone who had any of these might be willing to post some pictures of their sight picture. I am considering the 10-8 rear (with .140 notch)/front tritium combo, Warren rear, possibly with single tritium dot (not sure if I should change out the Trij front I have now if I go that way), Sevigny carry rear (same question on front sight), and Heinie slantpro qwik, possibly with straight 8 tritium. If anybody has any of these, I would vastly appreciate a picture so I might be able to compare them, or if anybody knows the dimensions of any of these (especially notch width) I would appreciate that as well. I am definitely looking to have a little extra light on either side of the front sight-my eyes aren't bad (yet), but I prefer a good amount of air in that picture as I find I am much more accurate and precise when that exists. I know this is a little bit of a specific question on a broad range of sights, but any help is definitely appreciated!

NCHornet
01-10-2010, 10:00
I have used a alot of sights over the years and now carry TFO's on every carry gun I have. My eyes aren't getting any younger and these are the brightest I have used. I really prefer the yellow rear and green front. The contrasting colors really help to acquire front sight rapidle. The yellow isn't as bright as the green which also helps a great deal. I have them on my G23.

jerryrigger
01-10-2010, 10:13
I thought about those and brought them up with a number of gunsmiths I have dealt with over the years, and all said they had some serious problems with the rods falling out, breaking, and the sights just falling off. It's too bad too, because all of them thought they were one of the best ideas going in sights these days (and I agree). I just wish I could order only a TFO front sight!

SiGlockBoy
01-14-2010, 17:05
I was planning on using Heinie Slant Pro Striaght 8's and think they are an excellent choice. Their set will have a fixed front and rear to work for your gun to what they think your POI should be.

I ended up going with the XS Big Dot sights and really couldn't be happier. They are much quicker than standard notch type sights and still on par with the Heine 8's. Bar/dot or Dot/dot is not a huge difference. Your picture becomes a nice yes or no when alignment is correct. No "Am I left or right in the notch"

I have another that is setup with Meprolights. Rear looks like Heinie edge or step rear with orange dots. Front is green. Very easy to focus on the front with that color combo. Nicely made and really mold into the slide. Very low profile too. They say Tru Dot on rear.