Lee Classic Turret in action: I like it! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret in action: I like it!

JohnW1963
01-09-2010, 18:31
Lee Classic Turret Press Review

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM54KBOf4IY

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRn_twi9B0g&feature=related

also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOpN9iYOyE8&feature=related

I'm just getting into reloading pistol and rifle, been reloading shotty since I was a kid. I had been thinking of going Lee Breech Lock Challenger single but after re-reading the sticky posts above and then searching YouTube and finding the above linked review of the Lee Classic Turret, I think I am sold on it! I can use it as a single if I want to, or have it auto-index and at Kempf's the Classic Turret Kit is only about $40 more than the Breech Lock Challenger kit. I can start slow and then later on speed things up a bit!

How consistent is the auto powder dispenser with the classic turret kit?

robin303
01-09-2010, 18:41
I can't answer your questions but I bought the Lee single stage a couple weeks ago and I'm really happy with it. I got the Lee Reloading Book from Midway for about $14 and it has a lot of info on that powder dispenser you want to know about.

LoadedTech
01-09-2010, 19:39
From what I've read, it seems like it depends on the powder being used. I have great/constant results throwing w231 with the perfect powder discs. Even the directions say flaky powders could throw light in under .40cc. Welcome to reloading! I like my loadmaster alot!

RustyFN
01-09-2010, 19:59
The pro auto disk is very consistent with smaller powders, I haven't use it with Unique or any other coarse powder. I have been loading on my classic turret for around four years and am very happy with the press.

PBKing
01-09-2010, 20:17
The Pro Auto Disc and Adjustable disc work great with ball , flat ball and the like powders. The lowest consistant charge I can throw is 3.1 gr W 231 with the disc. I havent tried any AA that low.
The adjustable disc gets a little iffy on the low side but works very well.
Loads of fun to ya.
The LCTP is a Super Value

ChrisJn
01-09-2010, 20:34
Have just purchased one to replace my Lee single stage breech lock press.The Lee Classic turret is excellent value for money and has speeded up the reloading process considerably.

meleors
01-09-2010, 20:57
The classic turret is a wonderful press. Keep in mind that if you decide to get the Lee Safety Prime you will also need the Lee Auto-Disk Riser so the autodisk will not hit the Safety Prime unit. If you are going to load more than 1 caliber, get extra turrets so you can leave your dies setup.

jwc17
01-10-2010, 00:35
Mine drops 4.6 grains of Winchester 231 for 9mm rounds and 4.9 grains of Winchester 231 for 45acp rounds with amazing accuracy and consistancy. I tried using Lee's adjustable charge bar but did not have much luck with it, so I went back to using the disks that come with the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measurer.

I considered buying a progressive press, but I load 150 to 200 rounds a week and can easily load 50 rounds on my LCT in 15 minutes so I could not justify it. Switching caliburs only takes a few seconds and you have a lot more control with the LCT vs. a progressive press, so pulling the handle four times vs. once for each round is worth it to me.

I like everything about my Lee Classic Turret Press. It's a great system and Kempf is a great vendor.

IndyGunFreak
01-10-2010, 03:48
Ok, I like the LCT, but did that guy actually say you can "easily load 500 rounds an hour" at about 7:05 of video 2?

IGF

sigman69
01-10-2010, 06:13
i have a lee turret press and have had good luck with it...although if i had they i would have a dillion!!!!

srd
01-10-2010, 06:38
As you are finding out the Lee is an excellent investment . I have 2 of them that are at least 18 years old. You are correct about using it slowly or putting in the shaft to speed things up. The powder measure is quite accurate for what it is. Ball powders work real well. Flake powders can be iffy such as Unique. All the AA powders for pistol usage also flow consistently in my opinoin. Have fun and good luck.

jwc17
01-10-2010, 10:00
Ok, I like the LCT, but did that guy actually say you can "easily load 500 rounds an hour" at about 7:05 of video 2?

IGF

I suppose you could do 500 in an hour if you worked really fast.

I like to work in blocks of 15 minutes so I can concentrate and not get fatigued.

50 rounds on the LCT every 15 minutes allows me to check powder weight and overall length several times and pull the handle at a reasonable pace.

I got caught up thinking about how nice it would be to be able to crank out rounds on a progressive press a while ago, then realized I really have no reason to rush.

IndyGunFreak
01-10-2010, 10:13
I suppose you could do 500 in an hour if you worked really fast.

LOL... Sorry, not buying that one. I don't know if he intentionally imbelished that, or just got confused(he sounded a bit nervous for whatever reason)...

If you hit 200rds on an LCT, you are really moving. 250 to me seems almost completely impossible, let alone 500. He might be getting a little faster, because he is priming off of the press, but even then where he only has to seat a shell and a bullet, I can't see 500 an hour, and I guarantee you it would not be easy.

IGF

chineseboxer
01-10-2010, 11:13
I have the LCT Kit and love it. Currrentl loading 9mm &40sw. The powder measure is VERY consistent with the powder I use (win 231). I think for the $$ it is the way to go.

RustyFN
01-10-2010, 11:49
LOL... Sorry, not buying that one. I don't know if he intentionally imbelished that, or just got confused(he sounded a bit nervous for whatever reason)...

If you hit 200rds on an LCT, you are really moving. 250 to me seems almost completely impossible, let alone 500. He might be getting a little faster, because he is priming off of the press, but even then where he only has to seat a shell and a bullet, I can't see 500 an hour, and I guarantee you it would not be easy.

IGF

I have to agree. I don't like to hurry and load at a comfortable pace. If I sit down for one hour I load close to 200 rounds. If I sit down for three hours I am around 500 rounds. I'm not buying 500 per hour.

Uncle Don
01-10-2010, 12:27
When I get into the swing of things, I can load at the rate of four rounds a minute without much trouble which is a 240 round an hour rate. Frankly, I've never loaded more than more than I intend to shoot and usually load 100 rounds. I'm done with that in slightly less than a half hour so I figure I must be keeping close to that rate.

You develop a system and mine is that after I prime, I operate the press with my right hand while I grab a bullet and by the time time I have it ready, it's already charged and flared. While the bullet is seating, I grab a case while it goes through the factory crimp die and when it's done, I simply swap cases and put the finsihed one in the bucket while sizing the new one. I tend to try and combine efforts as much as possible so four rounds a minute isn't a push for me.

My LM is set for 45 only and I'm done with a box of those in under 5 minutes and that is with me feeding the cases.

Warhorse
01-10-2010, 13:47
I load a hundred rounds of pistol ammo in about 45 minutes on my LCT, then I go upstairs and take a break, I keep this up till I've loaded 500 rounds, then call it quits for that day.

GioaJack
01-10-2010, 17:16
Indy, what the hell is your avatar wearing now?

Jack

IndyGunFreak
01-10-2010, 20:06
Indy, what the hell is your avatar wearing now?

Jack

:rofl:

Well Jack, in case you didn't know, a Penguin(as all of my avatars are), is a mascot for Linux, a geek operating system for PC's. That particular one happens to be a Penguin masked as a Memory DIMM. Most versions of Linux have much lower RAM requirements than Windows, thus the "Low on Ram" comment :)

IGF

GioaJack
01-10-2010, 20:16

Well Jack, in case you didn't know, a Penguin(as all of my avatars are), is a mascot for Linux, a geek operating system for PC's. That particular one happens to be a Penguin masked as a Memory DIMM. Most versions of Linux have much lower RAM requirements than Windows, thus the "Low on Ram" comment :)

IGF

I thought Linux was a Charlie Brown character... the one with the blanket. Now I'm really confused... where's my scotch, I might as well have a good reason for not knowing what's going on. :dunno:

Jack

IndyGunFreak
01-10-2010, 21:08
I thought Linux was a Charlie Brown character... the one with the blanket. Now I'm really confused... where's my scotch, I might as well have a good reason for not knowing what's going on. :dunno:

Jack

Linux, Linus.. whats the difference.. :)

IGF

aerod1
01-11-2010, 07:40
I have a LCT with the Pro Auto Disk and it works just fine. You may have to adjust which cavity you are using depending on the powder density. The chart is only a guide.
If throwing bulky powders, you may drop very light loads, just as with most other powder measures of various brands.
That being said, it is a very good, reliable system.

Colorado4Wheel
01-11-2010, 07:48
Get the "Pro Upgrade" on that measure. Mine was very consistent with the powders I used. The chart they supply was off but once dialed in with a scale it's a good setup. Keep the scale topped off if that helps. I had a video of me loading 100rds at 256 rds a hour once. 200rds a hour is not hard once you get the hang of if. Just be sure that left hand is always doing something and the speed really picks up on that press.

RustyFN
01-11-2010, 16:45
Steve I'm having a hard time getting used to your avatar. :rofl:

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2010, 14:59
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Is that better?

GioaJack
01-12-2010, 18:23
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Is that better?

My, my, look at that... a Flatlander's view of the mountains. Huh, I rarely get to see 'em from that perspective. :supergrin:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2010, 19:31
You gotta hike to get there. That is Crestone Peak area. People been dying up there lately trying to climb both the Crestones and the Needles. It's a peaceful place. I like it a lot. I ran into a BIG bear going up the trail one year. We just stared at each other for about 30 secs and then he trotted off.

trainbrainmike
01-12-2010, 19:47
I have a LCT with the Pro Auto Disk and it works just fine. You may have to adjust which cavity you are using depending on the powder density. The chart is only a guide.
If throwing bulky powders, you may drop very light loads, just as with most other powder measures of various brands.
That being said, it is a very good, reliable system.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Having seen 'squibs' on the range from trying to load too many rounds per hour on a progressive loader, I tend to treat reloading as 'therapy', and take my time, frequently weighing the powder charge, as well as checking OAL on at least every 5th round. I use the auto-disc with Tite group using the 40 hole and loading 45 ACP as my primary weapon ammo.

I am delighted with the Lee four hole turret, and have heads set up with dies for each caliber I load.

Use what you like, I like LCT.

GioaJack
01-12-2010, 20:01
You gotta hike to get there. That is Crestone Peak area. People been dying up there lately trying to climb both the Crestones and the Needles. It's a peaceful place. I like it a lot. I ran into a BIG bear going up the trail one year. We just stared at each other for about 30 secs and then he trotted off.

Being the simple minded moron that I am, I figure if God wanted me to stand on the top of a mountain he would have installed an escalator. :dunno:

Jack

fr8owner
01-12-2010, 20:29
i have found the standard auto disk works well with the adjustable charge bar. i use it on my lighter loads. i drop 5.3 grains of unique for my 40's with scary consistancy. for my mags or larger charges the auto disk pro with the disks is the way to go. the priming system makes the lee work well for me as well as the all in one turret i leave setup for each caliber. righ now i have three cals set up and only swap the auto disk between two of them but i might just get another auto disk to keep them all set up so all i have to do is adjust the disk

IndyGunFreak
01-12-2010, 20:43
Being the simple minded moron that I am, I figure if God wanted me to stand on the top of a mountain he would have installed an escalator. :dunno:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2010, 21:48
i have found the standard auto disk works well with the adjustable charge bar. i use it on my lighter loads. i drop 5.3 grains of unique for my 40's with scary consistancy. for my mags or larger charges the auto disk pro with the disks is the way to go. the priming system makes the lee work well for me as well as the all in one turret i leave setup for each caliber. righ now i have three cals set up and only swap the auto disk between two of them but i might just get another auto disk to keep them all set up so all i have to do is adjust the disk

That adjustable charge bar does not like low volume (cc's) like 9mm and Titegroup. For large amounts of powder people like it.

kcbrown
01-12-2010, 22:33
That adjustable charge bar does not like low volume (cc's) like 9mm and Titegroup. For large amounts of powder people like it.

Seems to depend a great deal on the powder.

It throws 5.3 grains of Silhouette very nicely. Haven't tried throwing less than that amount of Silhouette from it, though.

It's not nearly as good with Titegroup, though. My load calls for 4.2 grains of that and the adjustable charge bar just doesn't like it at all. I did find a fixed cavity disk that worked for getting me that charge, though, and it was reasonably consistent with that.

Silhouette is a finer grained powder than Titegroup, and I expect that's why it works nicely in the adjustable charge bar even for smaller throws (note that in terms of volume, 4.2 grains of Titegroup is very similar to 5.3 grains of Silhouette -- I barely had to touch my lockout die when switching to Silhouette from Titegroup).