Mag-na-port??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mag-na-port???

BUNNDJ
01-09-2010, 20:24
I was wondering if any one has had there 36 ported? I am looking into Mag-na-port, but i want to get some input from anyone that has ported there Glock before I cut mine. Pros... Cons... Any info would be great........

Update......

I like the idea of not chopping up my original parts!!! But I have not been able to find a slide for sale that
I can have customized and not worry about. Barrels are easy to find but I'm stuck on the slide, again info would be geat...

1drt
01-10-2010, 10:38
I have not had the factory barrel ported. I have on order a ported barrel for my 36 that should arrive in a week or so.

I hope it will be a positive addition. I intend to only use it for practice.

I don't use ported barrels for SD due to the gases and flame if I should need to fire close to my body. My experience is more ear protection is needed with ported barrels. (louder) YMMV.

I would not recommend a ported barrel for SD.

cochraneap
01-10-2010, 15:43
I don't use ported barrels for SD due to the gases and flame if I should need to fire close to my body. My experience is more ear protection is needed with ported barrels. (louder) YMMV.

I've also heard concerns about flames from ported guns frying (pun not intended) your night vision if firing in a low light SD situation.

cons:
- possible loss of hearing
- possible loss of night vision
- possible gunpowder burns

pros:
- less muzzle flip
- quicker follow-up shots
- improved hit pattern

that being said, I would still buy a G36C if Glock offered one. I don't like the idea of letting someone chop up my gun after it's left the factory.

cochraneap
01-11-2010, 23:31
according to the picture on Lone Wolf's website, the Glock 36 factory replacement barrels they sell are compensated/ported:
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=423

(I think maybe they just used the wrong picture though)

ILikeFtLbs
01-12-2010, 20:57
I've never felt the need to have a ported glock, but I have a Smith model 57 (counter bored cylinder and pinned barrel era) that 6.5 inch barrel was magna ported before I ever shot it. They did a great job, and it really does cut down the recoil. I think they are the best company to have that sort of work done on a barrel that did not come ported. Shooting 10mm level loads feels very light. The heavier stuff is also comfortable to shoot. With 18.5 grn. of 2400 under a 240 grn. bullet there's quite a bit of flame visible in the sight picture.

My opinion is that it won't help much with an auto shooting fast burning powders. It might slow down unlocking a bit with heavy loads though. I could be wrong.