Just about Finished My AK [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just about Finished My AK

JTLIII
01-10-2010, 00:03
started out as the typical WASR 10 AK, with worse-than-pallet-wood-stock....then I added the ATI stock set...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/punkrockpoet/blackberry084.jpg

Turns out the handguard from ATI was garbage, but I loved the stock and pistol grip, so I replaced it with a aluminum quad rail. I added a cheapo flashlight laser combo and a vertical grip. I love it. It's comfortable to shoot, and as always, reliable! Only one thing left and I've already ordered it, and that's a reddot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/punkrockpoet/DSCN2220.jpg

steve1911
01-10-2010, 00:59
Looks good!!

1911CLUB#410

fgutie35
01-10-2010, 01:08
How is the ATI stock? is it pretty bulky? I have been thinking on buying it but I'm afraid the stock being bulky and loosing concealability. Right now I have the typical wire romanian folding stock which is pretty slim and not bulky at all, but the length of pull still too short for my taste. Is the hand gard that crappy?? or you just wanted something more appealing? Specify what turned you off about it please.
Thanks!

War Hammer
01-10-2010, 21:36
The ATI handguard, like any plastic handguard, is a terrible choice if you want to mount an optic on top. An optic simply will not hold a zero mounted on a plastic upper handguard. The plastic flexes and the orignal mounting method allows too much movement. Aluminum quad rails are a bit better, as the upper and lower bolts solidly together. However, they all mount the optic too high for co-witnessing the iron sights. The best option for a forward (scout style) mounted optic is an Ultimak rail. It mounts solidly to retain zero and allows the optic to mount low enough to co-witness the irons.

I checked out the ATI stock and was very unimpressed. The all plastic hinge mechanism is extremely bulky, not to mention uglier than homemade sin. It has a lot of flex and rattles like crazy. A folding stock really should have a metal hinge. I wouldn't count on it lasting very long or standing up to much more than bench shooting at the range. I've talked to several others who went ahead and bought it and had the stock break on them. About the only positive it has, IMO, is that it's a cheap option if you really don't want to spend very much on your rifle. Most of the really well-built alternatives are considerably more expensive.

CWII
01-11-2010, 01:05
Midwest Industries makes a really nice handguard with rail for around $100.

fgutie35
01-11-2010, 08:27
Thanks war hammer you just saved me 90+ bucks from Ceaper Than Dirt with your very articulated review.:wavey:

I guess I will keep my romanian wire folding stock with home made adjustable cheek piece for now.

JTLIII
01-11-2010, 22:57
I hated the handguard because it was cheap and the rails fell off from too much shooting. Yes, the stock is bulky, But i like that it folds, and extends to a comfortable length. Mine is about 8 months old I think... and it's still holding up great after well over 1000rounds.

I had bought the new quadrail for my AK74, but sold it, so I put the better one on this rifle.

War Hammer
01-12-2010, 16:24
Thanks war hammer you just saved me 90+ bucks from Ceaper Than Dirt with your very articulated review.:wavey:

I guess I will keep my romanian wire folding stock with home made adjustable cheek piece for now.

Happy to help. If you want a length-adjustable folder, you could go the route I did and use the ACE Folding Stock Mechanism (FSM) and then add any AR/CAR-style stock that you like. I used the CAA 6-position stock. It costs more, but you get a rock-solid folder than looks great, is tough and is very comfortable. All of the structural parts (the receiver block, hinge, stock tube) are metal, so they are very strong and there is no wobble at all. The ACE receiver block allows quite a bit of up and down adjustment to get the stock just right, and you can set up the ACE FSM to fold left or right. The CAA lower handguard has enough rail for any lights or grips you might want, and the Ultimak gas tube is great for the sight holding zero. I can use the irons right through the optic without need to remove it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/rlkeely/IMGP2420.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/rlkeely/IMGP2421.jpg

JTLIII, just for the record, please don't take this as me hammering on your choices for your gun. I hope the ATI stock works well for you. What's most important is that we're each happy with our own rifle, not what someone on the Internet you'll probably never meet thinks about it. Cheers!

JTLIII
01-12-2010, 19:26
I will hand it to you, that stock folder looks WAYY better than mine

War Hammer
01-13-2010, 08:15
I will hand it to you, that stock folder looks WAYY better than mine

The downside is that is costs WAY more, too. The total setup cost me about $250 for the stock and $125 for the front handguard/Ultimak. But I figured I'd spend more in the long run by getting stuff that I ended up not liking and replacing anyway. Usually, by the time I buy the "inexpensive" alternatives two or three times, I could have saved money by just getting the "expensive" option in the first place. This is one of the few times that I did it right and didn't let my instinctive cheapness get the better of me!

Flinter
01-13-2010, 19:30
I hate to tell ya this, but that "pallet wood" stock is laminated birch, and with minimal amount of sanding, some reddish tint stain and some satin varnish would look much better than that low grade plastic you installed. AKs are what they are, if you want the AR look then get one of those.

JTLIII
01-13-2010, 20:45
I hate to tell ya this, but that "pallet wood" stock is laminated birch, and with minimal amount of sanding, some reddish tint stain and some satin varnish would look much better than that low grade plastic you installed. AKs are what they are, if you want the AR look then get one of those.

I have an AR. And, I did sand and stain the "pallet wood" and I think prefer my "low grade plastic"