New Guy, Looking for opinions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Guy, Looking for opinions

neast00
01-10-2010, 10:30
Hello everybody,

I'm a new member to the site from Williamsport PA. I've been lurking around here a while now and site is great.

I'm hoping you all can help me out. I want to buy a 20" AR with a removable carry handle and an A2 stock. I've been looking around, but I don't really know what rifle is the best for the money. I'm most interested in the RRA NM A4, but there are lots of others out there. Other companies with 20" guns that i could find were Bushmaster, Olympic, DPMS, Armalite, Colt, Stag, and there's probably more.

Help me out, what's the best bang for my buck?

tebklr
01-10-2010, 10:40
Ohhhhh, you will definitely get opinions here. Put on your flak jacket.

faawrenchbndr
01-10-2010, 13:24
From what I've seen lately,.....the Bravo Company Machine seems to be the best "bang for your buck"

If you MUST have a NM I would consider ArmaLite very highly.

thunderbat
01-10-2010, 16:46
Love my RRA NM, it is a tack driver...highly recommend RRA.

wellcraft
01-10-2010, 17:22
all the rifles you mentioned are good choices and will serve you well for any purpose. some guys are obsessed with colt and won't buy anything else and colt makes good rifles but the RRA, BM, DPMS, OLYARMS, Stag are all good choices too. if money is not an issue colt 6920's are selling just below 1200 bucks these days and BM, RRA, DPMS entry level rifles can be had NIB starting around 800 and up. there are differences between rifles but i don't believe those differences are big issues to someone looking for a rifle to use at the range or for self defense. if i was in the market for a ar15 i would probably buy the colt but i wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the others.

furioso2112
01-10-2010, 19:11
Second on checking out Bravo Company - they have great options and quality and customer service...and shipping, bolts, etc. Your list is full of very good ARs. Olympic will get lots of 'leave it alone' comments, Bushmaster maybe, too - but they are good 'for the money' - no time to put more effort into this post right now, but the info will come. I do recommend lurking for a while and figuring out some nuances between the manufacturers, your likely intended application, and trying to make an informed decision on options up front - it will save you time, money, and frustration in the intermediate term. Cheers and welcome to posting on GT.

RMTactical
01-10-2010, 19:37
What is your primary purpose for this rifle?

KillStick
01-10-2010, 19:46
I have a Bushmaster, many people knock it because it may not be the most expensive or best named brand, but for one thing that I do know I have never had a problem with it and it is accurate to boot. So take advice with a grain of salt but it is better to do your own research when it comes to AR's.

GlockSupremacy
01-10-2010, 23:15
Welcome!

Your setup would be very easy to build if you haven't looked into that option yet. Buying a complete upper and assembling the lower is a piece of cake, also saves some coin.

Just throwing that out there as another option if you feel so inclined.

neast00
01-10-2010, 23:52
This is going to be a plinking and range gun.

RMTactical
01-11-2010, 00:25
I think I would go with a RRA in your case.

Nutt51
01-11-2010, 09:51

www.budsgunshop.com (http://www.budsgunshop.com), has Colt HBar's with fixed stock and
removable handles for a pretty good price which includes
shipping.

Their 16" barrel match target MT 6731 is $982 delivered price.

The 20'' barrel match target MT 6700 is $1,047 delivered price.

I have a Colt MT6700 and it's a great rifle.
I also have a BCM mid upper and BCM lower and they too are
excellent AR's, but after buying the BCM carrier group and handle
I've got over a $1000 invested and that's before I purchase a rear
BUIS. It's well worth the money to me because it's a great rifle and
will serve a totally different purpose for me. You can't go wrong
with either.

neast00
01-11-2010, 17:40
Welcome!

Your setup would be very easy to build if you haven't looked into that option yet. Buying a complete upper and assembling the lower is a piece of cake, also saves some coin.

Just throwing that out there as another option if you feel so inclined.

This would be my first AR, and I'm not too keen on the idea of building one. I figure once I get one and learn the ins and outs of it i can build another later.

lawman800
01-12-2010, 00:02
Any quality gun will do ya for range and plinking. Buy the one you find at the best price. None of them will fail under the conditions you're going to use them for, that's for sure.