SC Gun Shop Recommendations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SC Gun Shop Recommendations

CharlestonG26
01-10-2010, 10:08
I'd appreciate recommendations for good gun shops within a one-hour drive from Charleston. ATP seems to have the best inventory in the Charleston area...but...their prices are quite high.

Chucktown Mako
01-11-2010, 06:36
Best prices are at Carolina Rod and Gun, on Savannah Hwy West Ashley. Not a very big selection though.
Trader World is kind of in the middle. They have a pretty good selection, and prices aren't so bad. They have a lot of Glocks and are an armorer, I think. They are off of Cross County Rd, N Chas. That is were I got my G23.

I have heard of a place in Walterboro, from searching the Gun Genie. They have the best prices. Would be about an hour from Chas. Can't think of the name.

CharlestonG26
01-11-2010, 21:38
Thanks, Chucktown Mako, for the information. Yelp...Carolina Rod & Gun didn't have much the couple of times I stopped there last year. I just did a Google search and it looks like the shop in Walterboro might be...drum roll..."Walterboro's Gun Shop". Mapquest says it is 1 hour 5 minutes away. I think I'll drive over there and check them out.

Glockrunner
01-15-2010, 19:39
Check out the Gun Doctor on Hwy 17A between Goose Creek and Moncks Corner. Very reasonable.

Crazy KD
01-16-2010, 07:53
I've visited the ones mentioned above with the exception of Gun Doctor. In addition there is Henry's, the one up off 41 in Cainhoy, Barton and Burwell (I think they have closed now), and the show every so often at the Ladson fairgrounds. Can't say any in Charleston are reasonably priced. My usual quick test is the price of a standard Glock. If it is less than or right at $500 I keep seriously shopping. I haven't found a $500 Glock in Charleston.

I travel to Columbia quite often and found Shooter's Choice and Sportsman's Warehouse to have the best pricing depending on the gun. Last time I checked both had new Glocks less than $500. Shooter's also has a decent used gun selection depending on when you visit. I picked up a G19 for $400 that I don't think had even been shot. As you can read in this forum Shooter's has a mixed reputation, but honestly I found them to be on par with almost every other gun shop I've visited. The range master, Rick, is great there.

Your other option is gunbroker.com and use a local FFL.

CharlestonG26
01-16-2010, 11:36
Thanks for the recommendations. FWIW, both Shooter's Choice and Sportsman's Warehouse were very helpful on the telephone...even willing to quote Glock prices. Both are much less expensive than ATP in Summerville. I also intend to take a drive up to The Gun Doctor in Moncks Corner this afternoon to see what they have in the case. On my next trip to Jacksonville, I'll stop at the Walterboro Gun Shop since it will be on my way.

Crazy KD
01-17-2010, 10:26
I was going to say make a day out of it and wait until there is a gun show at the Jamil Temple which is fairly close to Sportsman's. Also, there is another shop about 5 minutes from Sportsman's that I think is called Lawman's. Not quite as good of pricing, but again if you read on this forum they have a good reputation for service. My experience is about the same to be honest so I personally think it really is dependent on your day and whom you talk with.

We are in Columbia for the weekend and I drove by the Jamil Temple yesterday and it was slammed packed with cars/trucks because of a gun show.....Sorry...Just missed it. I think they do that show 2 or 3 times a year.

Shooter's is somewhat similar to ATP though in that it has an indoor range and if you purchase a gun there they give you range passes. I've never bought anything at Trader World, but my guess is they do also.

southernshooter
01-17-2010, 15:37
Lexington gun and pawn on 378 on the right about halfway between west Columbia and Lexington has at least as many guns as shooter's choice and a friendly staff/pretty good prices. Same road as Shooter's Choice, just 8? miles farther toward Lexington, hence the name. Also, there is Palmetto gun shop on Broad River rd near Piney grove (the road sportsman's warehouse is on)

Crazy KD
01-17-2010, 20:45
Lexington gun and pawn on 378 on the right about halfway between west Columbia and Lexington has at least as many guns as shooter's choice and a friendly staff/pretty good prices. Same road as Shooter's Choice, just 8? miles farther toward Lexington, hence the name. Also, there is Palmetto gun shop on Broad River rd near Piney grove (the road sportsman's warehouse is on)

Sorry got Lawman's mixed up with Palmetto. Couldn't remember the name, but that is the one I meant that is near Sportsman's. I've also visited Lexington Pawn as I drive right by it regularly. Very good selection, but from my memory Glocks are in the mid to high $500's. Also, I was looking for a rifle a few months ago....I could get it for $400 online....$650 at ATP....$550 at Lexington Pawn.

What surprises me about all the shops in Charleston/Columbia is if the gun isn't in stock they all basically say 'check back later' or "we don't sell it" even if I know they can get it from their distributor. When I was hunting a Ruger LCP a year or two ago, I was pretty much blown off by every shop because the guns were in such high demand....Sportsman's on the other hand whipped out a waiting list and put my name right down. Less than a month later I got a call to come pick it up. Yes it was a PITA to have to drive all the way to Columbia to pick it up, but at least I got it.

tslater
01-18-2010, 06:40
Not trying to hijack this tread but:
Lexington Gun and Pawn flat out refused to do a FFL transfer for me last month. He said he was tired of "getting his throat cut" by internet dealers. Then he gave me a price of $605 for a G30, plain sites. I was transferring a G30 w/ night sites for $540.
You tell me who's cutting whose throat here.

Crazy KD
01-18-2010, 11:04
Not trying to hijack this tread but:
Lexington Gun and Pawn flat out refused to do a FFL transfer for me last month. He said he was tired of "getting his throat cut" by internet dealers. Then he gave me a price of $605 for a G30, plain sites. I was transferring a G30 w/ night sites for $540.
You tell me who's cutting whose throat here.

I couldn't remember exactly what they were asking for Glocks, but from my memory they were much higher than Shooter's Choice and Sportsman's. I found an FFL local here in Charleston through gunbroker.com. Very nice guy and seems really easy to do business with. All he ever asked was that I give him a shot to sell the complete gun not just a transfer and I said absolutely if he got somewhat close on price.

What I haven't found anywhere in Charleston or Columbia region are decent prices on ARs. ATP is outrageous and Shooter's had a stripped lower for $300 which was humorous. Everywhere seems to be at least $300 higher than what people are claiming they are getting from their local dealers and what can be found on gunbroker. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Chucktown Mako
01-18-2010, 11:08
Place on Hwy 41 is Coastal Firearms. Haven't been there yet, but heard you can get good gun belts there. Been meaning to stop by, but don't live out that way anymore. I will report back when I do. If anyone else stops by there, let me know how it is! I need a belt.

CharlestonG26
02-11-2010, 20:38
Place on Hwy 41 is Coastal Firearms. Haven't been there yet, but heard you can get good gun belts there. Been meaning to stop by, but don't live out that way anymore. I will report back when I do. If anyone else stops by there, let me know how it is! I need a belt.

Yes...they have a limited selection of gun belts and also carry some clothing...Filson IIRC. In respect to firearms. Coastal's prices are as high as ATP and their inventory is much, much smaller.