The things you can learn..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The things you can learn.....

jaybirdjtt
01-10-2010, 10:10
.....from reading (and rereading) a manual, and not just the load data!
From Speer #10, 1979 edition, I was doing some casual reading on the 9mm and came across this.....

"There is considerable variation in case mouth thickness and between brands and lots of cases. All must be sized to hold bullets very tightly and the expander ball should not exceed .354" in diameter. Because this cartridge headspaces on the case mouth, very little crimp can be used. But MOST IMPORTANT, loads that produced 28,000 cup went to 62.000 cup when bullets were purposely seated .030" deeper!. Thus, it is of the utmost importance that bullets do not become deeper seated in the feeding cycle."

"Pressures of the maximum loads shown do not exceed 35,700 cup, the maximum industry working pressure."

Thought this might be of interest.

Cheers!:cool:

GioaJack
01-10-2010, 17:11
Good for you... reminds me of the old saying; "A man who won't read is no better off than a man who can't read.

The more you learn the more you understand why things do what they do.

Jack

DEADLYACCURATE
01-10-2010, 20:24
.....from reading (and rereading) a manual, and not just the load data!
From Speer #10, 1979 edition, I was doing some casual reading on the 9mm and came across this.....

"There is considerable variation in case mouth thickness and between brands and lots of cases. All must be sized to hold bullets very tightly and the expander ball should not exceed .354" in diameter. Because this cartridge headspaces on the case mouth, very little crimp can be used. But MOST IMPORTANT, loads that produced 28,000 cup went to 62.000 cup when bullets were purposely seated .030" deeper!. Thus, it is of the utmost importance that bullets do not become deeper seated in the feeding cycle."

"Pressures of the maximum loads shown do not exceed 35,700 cup, the maximum industry working pressure."

Thought this might be of interest.

Cheers!:cool:

It already know by me. Very good point. Congrats on learning to read. :wavey:

robin303
01-10-2010, 20:51
Dang woodpeckers took down the one room skool house before I got there over yonder by Willow Creek next to the still. Learn to run fast over ther by Salley Maes house. Her dad had the still. Well back up the hill barefooted an such, don't ya know. :supergrin:

GioaJack
01-10-2010, 21:27
Dang woodpeckers took down the one room skool house before I got there over yonder by Willow Creek next to the still. Learn to run fast over ther by Salley Maes house. Her dad had the still. Well back up the hill barefooted an such, don't ya know. :supergrin:

Brings new meaning to the term 'rotorhead'. :supergrin:

Jack

srd
01-11-2010, 06:42
Very good. This is why other [ older ] reloaders will tell you that you are better off reading the loading manuals etc. than trying to obtain all the information you think you will need off the internet. This is how we did it before the net was invented. That and from other reloaders we happen to meet at gunshops and the range. Then of course the wonderful world of experimentation.

jaybirdjtt
01-11-2010, 08:33
Very good. This is why other [ older ] reloaders will tell you that you are better off reading the loading manuals etc. than trying to obtain all the information you think you will need off the internet. This is how we did it before the net was invented. That and from other reloaders we happen to meet at gunshops and the range. Then of course the wonderful world of experimentation.

Right! That was the point of the posting! If one understands what and why something is going on it can make the entire process safer and more rewarding. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing as the saying goes. It is so easy to simply ask, "How many grains of what powder and bullet should I use?"