New P380 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New P380

pterodon
01-10-2010, 12:25
Stopped in the local shop yesterday looking for some odds and ends and wound up leaving with a new P380. Shop owner said that he received 7 on Friday afternoon. I got the last one on Saturday morning. Haven't shot it yet, but here are some semi-random thoughts:

1. This thing is really small and light, to the point of seeming toy-like.
2. Fit and finish is really good. Noticeably better than either my PM9 or my PM45.
3. I did a detail strip as I do with every new acquisition and found it hard to work with because of the incredibly small size of all the piece-parts. I remember thinking that a watch maker would feel right at home with this.

Was hoping to ask a favor of you fellow P380 owners out there. As I mentioned I detailed stripped the firearm, including the slide. When I got it back together I noticed that the cover plate at the back of the slide did not fit flush with the slide itself. See attached photo (kinda out of focus - sorry). I'm nearly certain it was this way to begin with, as I see no other way for it to go back together. However, my other Kahr's are not like this, so if it's normal it must be unique to the P380. Could someone please take a look and let me know how this compares to your gun? Thanks!

raytor
01-10-2010, 12:46
Great news on the new gun - I had a heck of a time finding one and stumbled on one in out of the way shop like you did - It was headed to a gun show the next morning so I grabbed it.

My rear plate is perfectly flush to viewing and touch. It looks like your slide is not going all the way back either - mine is flush with the end of the black rail.
Here is a photo of mine:
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/220/220052/pages/1114726/IMG2894.JPG
You may want to try again with reassembly.

pterodon
01-10-2010, 15:06
Thanks much for the reply. Check out the photo below, which I found on KTOG (Keltec forum). It also shows the cover plate protruding from the back of the slide. Not sure what to think now?? Sure seems like they should all look like yours (flush). :dunno:

raytor
01-10-2010, 15:53
Yeah, but how about this picture from Kahr's own web page.

http://kahr.com/imgs/mdtl_p3833.jpg

I think it's supposed to be flush and the slide all the way back.
Other than aesthetics though it should not hurt anything if it fires OK.
Take it out and shoot it - you have to run 200 rounds through it and that's not a myth. You really have to break this little gun in but when you do it's a gem. I love my P380 much more than my other 4 small concealed carries.

pterodon
01-10-2010, 18:00
Yeah, but how about this picture from Kahr's own web page.

I think it's supposed to be flush and the slide all the way back.

Yeah, agreed - it doesn't look right. The cover plate fits into grooves that are machined into the back of the slide. Really only one way to put it together it, so I don't think it's been mis-assembled. Probably time to see what Kahr has to say...

Thanks again for taking the time to post your own pic. Really appreciate it. :wavey:

raytor
01-10-2010, 18:16
Good luck and please post Kahr's response here.
It's really a very nice gun so I hope they make it right for you.

calviroman
01-10-2010, 18:51
I checked mine - it sticks out exactly the same as yours. It is a newer one - serial # RA327X.

pterodon
01-10-2010, 19:37
I checked mine - it sticks out exactly the same as yours. It is a newer one - serial # RA327X.

Thanks for checking. Mine is also very new; serial number RA42XX.

In my experience, Kahr's customer service has been very good about answering questions like this. I just sent off a couple pictures and I expect I'll hear from them shortly, probably tomorrow. I'll post the response. Stay tuned.

Thanks all.

pterodon
01-11-2010, 21:10
OK, here's a quote from Kahr customer service:

"Because of the small size of the gun in general it tends to be harder to disassemble, so we made the slide back a little bigger for ease of disassembly. All of the newer ones will look like yours does".

Kinda funny in that my original post I mentioned how I had difficulty working with the extremely small bits and pieces. Guess I'm not the only one.

Out of curiosity, I wonder if Raytor's gun is from an early run (low serial number)? By the way, Kahr's customer service proves to be outstanding once again. I had an answer within a couple of hours...

raytor
01-12-2010, 07:29
I wonder if Raytor's gun is from an early run (low serial number)?

My SN is RA18XX. That explanation could be OK on face value but then again it could be a line of PR BS to cover manufacturing variances. That back plate was not meant to be removed regularly as part of routine field stripping and there are cleaning ports milled so that you don't need it to be easy to remove since you should just take if off to replace parts. To get the definitive answer we need a few more serial numbers with plate descriptions from others. Try posting this in Kahrtalk.com and see if you get a few more responses.

raytor
01-12-2010, 07:33
duplicate

raytor
01-12-2010, 07:34
duplicate

Pudd
01-19-2010, 23:10
My pistol is in the 600 series and the slide back protruded slightly (like yours) and had some play in it-I could push it in slightly. I was having issues when I would squeeze the trigger slowly; I could pull the trigger all the way back without the firing pin coming forward. I am not certain if it is the slide back or trigger bar. I sent the P380 back to Kahr, lets see what they have to say.