Sig P226 Frame Wear Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 Frame Wear Question

drdean
01-10-2010, 16:29
Hello all --
I picked up a used Sig P226 (.40 cal) recently. Once I got it home, stripped and cleaned it, I noticed that the frame rails appeared to be quite worn in places. In a few spots I could see where the black finish was worn through to amber, and then other places where the bare alloy showed through. I am new to the world of Sigs, so I imagine 1) that the previous owner habitually ran it dry, or 2) this is normal wear? My learning experience to check more closely next time! Anyone else familiar with this?
Thanks,
drdean

Seayall
01-10-2010, 17:10
Welcome to the world of Sigs. I have nine of them and I can tell you that they are great guns. The issue you are talking about is rather common for Sigs. I have those wear marks on a few of mine. Sigs do need to run 'wet' so make sure you use plenty of lube on the rails. I use slide glide on mine.

drdean
01-10-2010, 17:36
Thanks for the reply, Seayall. I hope to have nine Sigs some day! I was concerned that I would need to investigate refinishing options for this one. The wear is primarily on the back/top of the frame, near the hammer. Still works fine with everything I have fed it at the range; just wasn't sure if there was something else I should do to prolong its life. Thanks again.

RedTape
01-11-2010, 01:19
Slide wear is the main weakness of Sigs. The only thing you can do to prolong their life is use a lot of grease on them.

Cobra64
01-11-2010, 02:28
Slide wear is the main weakness of Sigs. The only thing you can do to prolong their life is use a lot of grease on them.Somewhat accurate statement. Of course it depends on the model. :)

RedTape
01-11-2010, 19:38
Somewhat accurate statement. Of course it depends on the model. :)

True, the stainless models won't wear like the alloy frames, but they still require the proper lube...which is a lot more than say a Glock or HK.

dnuggett
01-15-2010, 22:53
Bright stainless color means you are dangerously close to losing all the coating. When the bright goes dull, you have lost it all. Amber is just fine, it's wearing normally when it's amber in color.

dnuggett
01-16-2010, 09:06
See here for more info from Gray guns..

http://grayguns.com/guide-to-sig-sauer-pistol-inspection/

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock
01-18-2010, 19:29
Great info on Grayguns. There is an article on the site that explains proper lubrication as well. This is probably what you should read to understand how best to prolong the life.

But I wouldnt sweat it too much, I actually doubt you will wear out your frame.

drdean
01-22-2010, 17:11
All - thanks for the information, I appreciate it.