7.62 x 39 Upper Waking Hellscape [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 x 39 Upper Waking Hellscape

Baron-von-Glock
01-10-2010, 20:58
I desperately want a functional 7.62 upper, which is consuming an enormous amount of time and money to no avail.

Someone talk me out of this madness and help me help myself. Like Homer Simpson says, "if the government won't stop me from eating too much, who will?"

I've tried a DPMS and an Oly Arms, 4 mags from various manufacturers, on my 5 lowers and none of them work with anything reliably, and they won't shoot hard primers at all, even with the MGI Bolt and Firing Pin, my rig fires 1 out of 25 wolfs. To be fair, it fired 0 out of 25 before.

Will someone please talk me back from the edge of this insanity?

Reswob
01-10-2010, 21:49
If you wanna shoot 7.62, this entire rifle probably cost less than half of what a 7.62 AR upper costs. Cheap mags and runs 100%...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_GP-WASR_10_63_7.62x39_Rifle.html

space_weazel
01-10-2010, 22:50
IMO the crux of the problem with 7.62x39 AR's is that x39 is a rather tapered cartridge, and for the most part lots of company's keep trying to shove a tapered cartridge up a straight hole, the problem however is when you apply pressure (think bolt flying home) the round will nose dive since it has no support except in the back.

The C-Products mags fixed the issue with the rounds traveling up the mag by bending it more (like an AK mag) and wa-la, however it still goes straight and then they jam.

So the only way to correct this issue is not to futz with the uppers, as I don't believe they are the source of the problem, but instead to use AK mag which have proven their ability to feed that ammo, so what you need to do is get a lower that is made to take AK mags, now I am helping a friend get his x39 AR up and running, and he is having the same issue, and thanks to the folks here and on some other forums I have tracked down the only real option for a x39 AR and that is the AR-47 project and the company that provides the lowers and the necessary mods to the upper (needs to be widened, and have the feed lip groves in the bolt deepened to accommodate the AK mags)

But with this lower and any modified upper I am willing to bet money that it will work.

http://www.ar-47.com/

socmguy
01-11-2010, 00:44
I have been wanting to build one of these for a while but I think you just talked me out of it. On to my 7.62x51 build!

PlasticGuy
01-11-2010, 02:05
The 7.62x39mm AR15 is an inherently flawed concept. I know. I've tried (and again with the XCR platform). The magazines just cannot work right. The geometry of the round is not compatable with an AR15 magazine well. C-Products is as good as it gets, and I was never completely satisfied with them. Also, the bolt lugs become weakened when enough material is removed so it can accomodate a 7.62x39 cartridge. Bolt life is seriously reduced. Finally, the firing group is not built to strike a military 7.62x39mm primer hard enough to set it off. If it can, it is oversprung, which raises the stress on the firing group and reduces the life of those components. I wish it would work with reliability and durability, but it just won't.

Baron-von-Glock
01-11-2010, 08:50
Does anyone have any thoughts on the complete Armalite rifle in 7.62? Has anyone tried it? Even the listing for the upper says it's tested on a complete rifle before shipping:

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=U15A4CB-7.62X39&Category=bce7fa68-373e-4afc-b00e-63fe2c75d131

PS, I have a few fantastic AKs and tons of ammo -- I would just like to be able to shoot the ammo in a more accurate package with better sights (for me, anyway).

Thanks.

PlasticGuy
01-11-2010, 11:27
Does anyone have any thoughts on the complete Armalite rifle in 7.62?...

PS, I have a few fantastic AKs and tons of ammo -- I would just like to be able to shoot the ammo in a more accurate package with better sights (for me, anyway).
If you're happy with 5 round mags, a weakened bolt, and an over-stressed trigger group, go for it.

I understand what you're after, because I tried to find it also. I found I was better off customizing my AK's than trying to force the 7.62x39mm cartridge into any other rifle.

Baron-von-Glock
01-11-2010, 14:18
Part of the problem is that the 5 people on the planet who have made this work post prolifically on the internet (that they have one with parts x and y changed out that has 10,000 rounds through it with nary a jam). It's drawn me in to think that I, too, can then have one. I'm pulling the ripcord on this project. Thanks for the advice.

space_weazel
01-12-2010, 00:15
The upper is not the issue, but if you want to give up, I can understand that.

mgs
01-12-2010, 07:39
I guess I'm the only 7.62x39 owner with no problems. My 1990 Colt runs fine with Colt factory mags and 90's USA 20 & 30 rd mags. I do not use the hollow point Russian ammo but the Speer 125 HP and Sierra 135 SP & 168 Match Kings work fine. The Colt barrel is a true .308 and mine is even a tack driver with UMC 123FMJ ammo. It runs Wolf all day also....mine is a keeper, Mike.

Onmilo
01-12-2010, 11:05
Go find a Saiga 7.62X39
Even now you can pick one up for $400 or less if you loo hard enough.
Heck of a lot cheaper than fighting an AR15 platform and a heck of a lot more satisfying.

My oldest boy snagged onto mine when he discovered it is much more accurate than my Maadi AKM and I can't get it back!

22highcaps
01-14-2010, 19:41
If you can't get the 7.62x39 AR to work, then the XCR is a great alternative. Of course the AK is an order of magnitudes cheaper but I just can't stand the crappy egros and poor optic mounting options.