45 Auto same as 45 ACP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 45 Auto same as 45 ACP?

redhawknc1
01-11-2010, 06:23
OK, dumb question here probably...I have 3 20 round boxes of Federal Personal Defense Hydra Shok JHP 165 Grain PD45HS3 that I had purchased years ago at my local Wal-Mart on sale for $7 a box. Is this the correct ammo for my new Kimber 45 ACP? Is 45 auto and 45ACP interchangeable lingo for the same round? Was going to buy some ammo and remembered I had these. Obviously need to buy more ammo, 60 rounds won't last long!

dreis454
01-11-2010, 06:58
yes,same stuff.

be careful of .45 GAP as it is NOT the same

redhawknc1
01-11-2010, 07:11
Thanks! I thought it usually had 45 acp on the cartridge....saw the 45 auto and wasn't sure.

fsqridah
01-11-2010, 13:08
Whenever you're talking (actually speaking, not typing), use "auto" instead of "ACP." It saves time and sounds better. So, "forty-five auto, three-eighty auto, thirty-two auto, twenty-five auto." Nothing bugs me more than someone saying, "I carry a forty-five AY-SEE-PEE."

G26S239
01-11-2010, 13:11
Thanks! I thought it usually had 45 acp on the cartridge....saw the 45 auto and wasn't sure.
ACP is Automatic Colt Pistol named for the 1905/1911 Series of pistol it was designed for so 45 Automatic is taken directly from ACP.

alwaysshootin
01-11-2010, 13:57
Whenever you're talking (actually speaking, not typing), use "auto" instead of "ACP." It saves time and sounds better. So, "forty-five auto, three-eighty auto, thirty-two auto, twenty-five auto." Nothing bugs me more than someone saying, "I carry a forty-five AY-SEE-PEE."

Disagree, I prefer the sound of,

45 autooooe matic pistol! :supergrin:

krunchnik
01-11-2010, 14:25
Oh Man,and here I thought it stood for Always-cloned-perfect.:wow:

ithaca_deerslayer
01-11-2010, 14:27

One day, if the GAP passes the ACP, the generic term of "forty-five auto" may well refer to the GAP :rofl:

Glock Automatic Pistol
Automatic Colt Pistol

So, I'd prefer people to say "Aaaceepee" :)

fsqridah
01-11-2010, 15:17
One day, if the GAP passes the ACP, the generic term of "forty-five auto" may well refer to the GAP :rofl:

Glock Automatic Pistol
Automatic Colt Pistol

So, I'd prefer people to say "Aaaceepee" :)

I say "forty-five auto" or "forty-five GAP." Hearing "forty-five Glock" or "forty-five gee-ay-pee" gets on my nerves more than "forty-five ay-see-pee."

Still, none of those get my panties in a wad more than having some handgun "guru" tell me something I don't know, then somehow manage to bring "clips" into the conversation. Odds are if you say "clip" instead of "mag" or "magazine," I will completely discount anything you say. :supergrin:

And trust me, regardless of how much I support the .45 GAP and believe in its legitimate but very specific purposes to the very core, it will never, ever surpass the .45 ACP in popularity and usage.

isp2605
01-11-2010, 18:38
OK, dumb question here probably...I have 3 20 round boxes of Federal Personal Defense Hydra Shok JHP 165 Grain PD45HS3 that I had purchased years ago at my local Wal-Mart on sale for $7 a box. Is this the correct ammo for my new Kimber 45 ACP? Is 45 auto and 45ACP interchangeable lingo for the same round? Was going to buy some ammo and remembered I had these. Obviously need to buy more ammo, 60 rounds won't last long!
You're OK with those for your Kimber. They're the same.
However, if you happen into a large ammo store and ask for .45 Auto make sure they don't give you .45 Auto Rim. You might get a clerk who sees only the ".45 Auto" part and you'll end up with the wrong ammo. The .45 Auto Rim is a completely different rd than the .45 ACP and it will not work in your Kimber.

fsqridah
01-11-2010, 20:08
You're OK with those for your Kimber. They're the same.
However, if you happen into a large ammo store and ask for .45 Auto make sure they don't give you .45 Auto Rim. You might get a clerk who sees only the ".45 Auto" part and you'll end up with the wrong ammo. The .45 Auto Rim is a completely different rd than the .45 ACP and it will not work in your Kimber.

Great point. I didn't even think about the the .45 Auto Rim.

.45 ACP on left, .45 Auto Rim on right:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/swwheelgun/graphics/l/33.jpg

GVFlyer
01-11-2010, 20:15
... :)

That's likely to occur when we're down to one manufacturer for .45 GAP pistols and everyone on the planet has all model Glock .45 GAPs on closeout at between $379 and $399 delivered.

;)

JustShoot-IT
01-12-2010, 02:34
Good guestion and some great answers.
Now, not to hijack the thread, but, while hijacking the thread, for what and/or where is the 45 Auto Rim used?

Butch
01-12-2010, 04:02
....... for what and/or where is the 45 Auto Rim used?
It's a revolver cartridge used in S&W (and one Colt) revolvers chambered for the .45 ACP round that use moon clips to eject the empty cases. The thick rim of the auto rim case makes the rounds headspace the same as for the ACP with the clips.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Smith-Wesson/S-WModel22.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Smith-Wesson/DSC09164.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Ammo%20pics/45autovsautorim002.jpg

JustShoot-IT
01-12-2010, 04:20
butch, thanks. Pics are way-cool for this eternal newbie.:wow:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
One more question, you are saying that the 45 auto rim w/ a moon clip fits the 45acp revolvers cylinder on these guns; as in there is enough room behind the cylinder and it does not "back-out" when fired?<o:p></o:p>

xrmattaz
01-12-2010, 08:30
butch, thanks. Pics are way-cool for this eternal newbie.:wow:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
One more question, you are saying that the 45 auto rim w/ a moon clip fits the 45acp revolvers cylinder on these guns; as in there is enough room behind the cylinder and it does not "back-out" when fired?<o:p></o:p>

The .45AR is used without moon clips. Which is one reason that round exists.

Butch
01-12-2010, 10:25
The .45AR is used without moon clips. Which is one reason that round exists.
Correct, the thick rim fills the space required for the ACP with the moon clip, and gives the extractor something to push against to eject the case after firing, which is what the moon clip is for with the ACP rounds.

Looking at the third pic above, note that cartridge in front center is an ACP round without the moon clip, the three rounds to the right of it are ACP's in a half moon clip, and the round to the left, is an auto rim.

The ACP rounds can be used and fired in the revolver without the moon clips as the round head spaces on it's case mouth just as it does in an auto pistol, but the rimless case doesn't give the ejector a rim to push against for case extraction.....a problem solved with the half moon clips over ninety years ago.