Took the new Eotech to the range.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Took the new Eotech to the range....

Ruggles
01-11-2010, 17:37
Took the 1 week old Eotech 517 to the range today. Mounted on a AR15 (M4 CMMG Lower/16" LMT flattop upper). The sight worked fine and does indeed speed up sight acquisition over the iron sights. My issue is the balance it gives to the rifle, I really do not care for the feel of the carbine with the Eotech attached. Feels "top heavy" to me.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I am going to post the Eotech for sale on the forums here as I can not see myself ever getting use to the feel of the AR with the Eotech on it. :( I really wanted to like the Eotech but no go here.

I would like to make clear I am not bashing the Eotech at all, great tool but just not for me. I guess I will go back to the iron sights.

On a bright spot I got my PS90 sighted in with the compact ACOG which I have been meaning to do for awhile :) What a great little set up that is.

I alos put a Kimber SIS Ultra in layaway. I wanted to get one before Kimber stops production. Seems like a great little 1911.

Kentak
01-11-2010, 18:54
I'm really surprised to hear this. I don't recall hearing this kind of complaint with an EOTech before as there are much heavier optics people mount topside. Why not give it a little more time to wear in on you, like a new pair of shoes? Make sure you use a full 30 rd mag to start shooting with. Ballast, ya' know.

Aikidoka
01-11-2010, 19:05
I just added a 517 to my AR as well but haven't had the chance to get it to the range. How did you sight yours in?? Im thinking about setting mine dead center @ 50 yards.

Ruggles
01-11-2010, 19:17
I just added a 517 to my AR as well but haven't had the chance to get it to the range. How did you sight yours in?? Im thinking about setting mine dead center @ 50 yards.

50 yards just like you are talking about. I can see myself going any farther than that in a defensive situation.

Ruggles
01-11-2010, 19:20
I'm really surprised to hear this. I don't recall hearing this kind of complaint with an EOTech before as there are much heavier optics people mount topside. Why not give it a little more time to wear in on you, like a new pair of shoes? Make sure you use a full 30 rd mag to start shooting with. Ballast, ya' know.

Yeah I assumed it was me. I just prefer the simple "streamlined" feel of the AR without the Eotech. I do like the compact ACOG (much smaller than the Eotech in someways) on the PS90, I might go that way someday.

Aikidoka
01-11-2010, 20:34
50 yards just like you are talking about. I can see myself going any farther than that in a defensive situation.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks.

NDC187
01-11-2010, 21:15
nothing like good ol' iron sights :)

Ruggles
01-11-2010, 21:31
nothing like good ol' iron sights :)

You know, that about sums up my feelings I guess. I see the benefits of the optics like Eotech and Aimpoints but for now I think I will stick with the iron sights. If the Eotech does not sell I might give it a try at a latter date.

pleaforwar
01-11-2010, 21:41
If the weight of the EOTech really bothers you I recommend you check out either the Aimpoint T-1 or the Trijicon RMR. Then again, open sights is always a reliable option. :thumbsup:

Daekwan
01-11-2010, 23:10
Or the XPS.. smallest holo sight EOTech sells

Steve in PA
01-12-2010, 00:00
Rifle top heavy with an Eotech? Never, ever have I heard that.

Ruggles
01-12-2010, 00:08
I guess "top heavy" is not the right term. More out of balance than any real weight issue. It just seems to throw off the handling of the carbine. I think I will try to get use to it before I make any long term judgments on it. I really like the operation of the sight.

pleaforwar
01-12-2010, 00:19
I guess "top heavy" is not the right term. More out of balance than any real weight issue. It just seems to throw off the handling of the carbine. I think I will try to get use to it before I make any long term judgments on it. I really like the operation of the sight.

So.... do you have any pics of your configuration? :supergrin:

RMTactical
01-12-2010, 00:22
I don't love the extra weight added by most optics, but the upside of the optic is too great for me to not want it on my primary defensive rifle.

lawman800
01-12-2010, 00:33
I have a week old 517 as well on my M4gery. Didn't feel top heavy or unbalanced at all. I think it is very bulky though and might switch out to the T-1 micro.

How much you want for your 517?

furioso2112
01-12-2010, 15:22
Yeah...never heard that either. I have a 5xx (the 2xAA model) on a QD mount that I use on my EBRs...and a Leupold 4.5-14x40 w tac knobs...neither makes the gun feel strange or out of balance to me. I support your decision to give it a while - carry it like that for a week; when you take it off, I bet you'll feel the rifle is off-balance without it. Always something new, never hurts to post.