9mm steel casing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm steel casing

MetalSlugIV
01-11-2010, 19:21
I checked ammo engine and the cheapest 9mm ammo they listed was Brown Bear. It has steel casings like Wolf. Some people say steel can be hard on extractors. Has anyone else shot this stuff? Had any problems with it? The only brand I've shot is PMC which is what my local range stocks.

01-11-2010, 19:58
I checked ammo engine and the cheapest 9mm ammo they listed was Brown Bear. It has steel casings like Wolf. Some people say steel can be hard on extractors. Has anyone else shot this stuff? Had any problems with it? The only brand I've shot is PMC which is what my local range stocks.

Slug,

While I am not a metallurgist (according to my member profile), here is what I found...

I hope it helps you out.

A quick check over at http://www.matweb.com/ reveals that "low" (0.22-0.28%) carbon steel (series 1025, annealed) has a (Rockwell Hardness "B") HRB of 71.

As a frame of reference, "high" carbon (0.90-1.03%) steel (1095 series, annealed: used in knife blades) has an HRB of 99.

Interestingly, HO6 70/30 "cartridge" brass (70% Copper, 30% Zinc) has an HRB of 83 making it significantly harder than the low carbon steel most likely used to fabricate ammunition cases.

"Cold worked/drawn" gilding metal (95Cu/05Zn) has a HRB of 70 making it every bit as hard as the low carbon steel and this is what is in contact with the inside of your barrel (bore) as you send FMJs and JHPs down range through your gun's barrel.

I've shot Wolf ammo in my Glocks before without any problem (although I wasn't crazy about how filthy it left the gun after just 150 rounds. :steamed: I'll live. :supergrin:) and doubt that you'll "hurt" your Glock by shooting Brown Bear steel cased ammo in it.

Blast away. :cool:

MarcusT
01-11-2010, 21:48
I use it and figure I'll save more than enough money on the ammo to buy a new extractor.

gunsnhoses
01-12-2010, 11:15
I've shot plenty and never had an issue with function. The Brown bear is smoky and smelly however.

MetalSlugIV
01-12-2010, 13:51
I've shot plenty and never had an issue with function. The Brown bear is smoky and smelly however.

Does it leave guns pretty dirty? I've heard that Wolf shoots dirty and the gun needs to be cleaned after about 200 rounds.

MarcusT
01-12-2010, 15:50
I shot 400 rounds of brown bear the other day without cleaning until I got home and didn't have a single issue. The gun does get dirty but still functioned perfectly.

gunsnhoses
01-12-2010, 18:16
Does it leave guns pretty dirty? I've heard that Wolf shoots dirty and the gun needs to be cleaned after about 200 rounds.

Ya, it gets dirty, but my guns get dirty after shooting 200 rounds of any ammo. I think it is comparable to any other cheap target ammo.