Removing primer duds? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Removing primer duds?

bob35
01-11-2010, 20:00
I have accumulated a small number of 45acp casings with dud primers. I would think trying to de-cap these would be hazardous, but the Scot in me says "save that brass". I have removed the bullets and powder for reuse. I never seen this issue discussed, maybe its obvious? Any comments?

BigDog[RE]
01-11-2010, 20:13
I have accumulated a small number of 45acp casings with dud primers. I would think trying to de-cap these would be hazardous, but the Scot in me says "save that brass". I have removed the bullets and powder for reuse. I never seen this issue discussed, maybe its obvious? Any comments?

I have decapped live brass in my 550. They key os to wear your safety stuff, and do it slowly. I've had no problems at all.

frankmako
01-11-2010, 20:44
just run them through the sizing die. i have done many with no problems. allway wear safety glasses when reloading. primers are made to go off when hit from the back side. not from the open side.

thorn137
01-11-2010, 20:47
If you not wanting to decap it live, then put a very (very) small bit of wd40 in the case - just enough to soak into the compound (which effectively ruins it). Let it soak for a few mins, then decap.

thorn

DEADLYACCURATE
01-11-2010, 20:47

Never do it. You will die.
I have done it. Just go very slow and wear safety gear

GioaJack
01-11-2010, 20:50
Borrow the sledge hammer from the guy with the 50 BMG... he's not using it anymore.

Jack

Bultx1215
01-11-2010, 21:03
Times like this is when a universal decapper comes in very handy. I have done it dozens of times. Never had an issue. I have saved brass, slugs, powder and primers from messed up loads.:cool: As was mentioned...go slow.

Bob2223
01-11-2010, 21:16
Borrow the sledge hammer from the guy with the 50 BMG... he's not using it anymore.

Jack

Oh,, man ! :rofl:

Cobra64
01-11-2010, 21:20

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g198/NORMSUTTON/pa-63%20spr/hammersp6.jpg

dudel
01-12-2010, 03:18
just run them through the sizing die. i have done many with no problems. allway wear safety glasses when reloading. primers are made to go off when hit from the back side. not from the open side.

I prefer a universal decapping die to a sizing die for this operation. You get a much smoother action with less chance of binding on the case. Lot less force required as well. ( good thing when decapping live primers).

Wear your safety gear and go slow.

shotgunred
01-12-2010, 05:48
Me to. I just press them out.

unclebob
01-12-2010, 08:11
Some good and some bad advice here. It takes a couple of days of soaking primers in WD-40 to deactivate a primer. Then once it dries out it is active again. I ran tests on this.
A friend of mine has a primer in his hand from trying too push a primer out in his hand.
Yes thousand of people deprime live primers and nothing happens. But be advised you can set one off by even going slowly.
Depending on what press you have also remember if you set it off that little primer it is coming out of that case traveling at about 700 to 800 fps. So it well be going somewhere.
I have a modified Rock Chucker that has a hole down the center of the ram. When the ram is up the hole that the primer well come out of is completely enclosed inside the press housing. Only when I lower to ram well the primer come out.
Not trying to persuade you one way or the other. Just be advised there is a risk in doing so.