Gerber Guardian [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gerber Guardian

toshbar
01-11-2010, 21:26
I guess this is one of those "I bought one of these xx, and I wanted the online community's reassurance that what I bought is good" threads.

I just ordered a Gerber Guardian, the latest model with the zytel sheath with the metal clip. The biggest selling point for me was the fact that the sheath allows the knife to be tucked in with a shirt like some IWB Glock holsters.

I also like how the clip can be removed and then the knife can be hung from the neck with the hole at the tip of the sheath. just a little concerned about how thick the knife handle will be under a shirt.

Another cool feature is the ability to change the resistance of the knife to pull out of the sheath.

What say you about The Guardian? It'll mostly stay concealed as I'll probably have my Kershaw Groove in my front pocket for everyday use/wear/tear.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/images/Gerber-Guardian-Back-Up-05803-600x500.jpg

basically i want you guys to reassure me in that I didn't waste my monays. Sure, it's a typical General Glocking type post, but I figured I had nothing better to do while I waited for it to get here in the mail.

Oh, and MANVENTUREOUTPOST.COM wins in my book. I've ordered a few knives from them. superior prices, great shipping.

DustyJacket
01-11-2010, 21:34
I've had 2 guardians, since they first came out. Lost the original, now have the one in a nylon sheath. It is over 20 years old.

Very nice knives.

The Hawk
01-12-2010, 14:12
Sweet looking knife. I have something similiar but it is made by SOG. It does not have an adjustable tension though. That sounds nice.
I do own a couple Gerber knives and am very pleased with them.
I vote you did well.

Jeepnik
01-13-2010, 17:58
I have one of the originals. It's probably over twenty years old. If they are using the same materials and construction methods, it will out last you. It's probably the best "boot" knife I've owned. It still get carried regularly. Can't comment on the sheath, as it is different fromt he original. But my original lasted for some years. I finally had a custom sheath made up becasue the original was getting old. It's still around somewhere.

toshbar
01-13-2010, 19:34
Well it came in this afternoon, a lot sooner than expected. I love it. I did have to do some modifying to the sheath clip to get it to be "tuckable". the clip is kind of flimsy. It conceals real nice after I adjusted the clip with some pliers. I just have a metal strip of the clip visible over my belt.

cziv
01-13-2010, 23:03
Good score if you plan on doing some shanking! :supergrin:

I rotate my pocket carry - RAT Izula, Spyderco Street Beat or RAT RC-3, in my right front pocket. I'm for fixed blade carry too as I've watched videos of cops "flubbing" the open and stab test with their folders.

I have a ton of nice folders, but give me a RAT Izula, Streat Beat or a RAT RC-3 in kydex sheaths anytime. (Or the factory sheaths work fine too, I like Kydex)

They're very comfy for pocket carry and eiminate a step in deployment.

scprotector1
01-13-2010, 23:07
i own one, its a decent knife, steel quality is bad compared to other knives

cziv
01-13-2010, 23:17
i own one, its a decent knife,

Looks pointed enough to me to pop anyone with in an extreme self defense scenario. Everyone has different tastes and ideas of what a good knife is. I guess the old adage "it's the one you have on you when you need it!" :)

toshbar
01-14-2010, 10:44
i own one, its a decent knife, steel quality is bad compared to other knives
I haven't needed to defend myself with it yet, but i can confidently say it works better than using a car key. Beats fumbling around with a folder too.