Ever find a $20 in an old jacket???? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever find a $20 in an old jacket????

Memnok
01-11-2010, 20:34
I am getting back into reloading after about 15 years. For Christmas this year, I asked the wife for a new Lee 50th kit. As you can see, she came through:

http://cs.mlsr.net/LeeChristmas.jpg

When I got out of High School I purchased an RCBS Rock Chucker kit, and used it to reload .40 for my 2nd gen Glock. My brother used it once or twice to reload .243 too. When I found out that the police academy would not let me shoot reloads, I boxed up my stuff and stuck it away in the closet. I've been shooting on the department's dime ever since.

About 6 or 7 years ago my wife and I had a yard sale and I dug out all my old reloading gear. It did not sell, so I asked my brother if he wanted it. To the best of my recollection, I had given it to him.

But when I was cleaning out the shed today I came across an old, tattered box. To my surprise, look what I found inside:

http://cs.mlsr.net/Shooting/Bench/P1140576.JPG

MY ROCK CHUCKER KIT!!!!

It has a little surface rust in a couple places from 6 or 7 years of being in a dark, damp shed, but it will clean up nice. I was more excited to see the 505 scale and powder measure. The RCBS Case Trimmer was a really nice addition too.

Does anyone know if I can convert this old press to the new quick change bushings?

Bob2223
01-11-2010, 20:45
I am getting back into reloading after about 15 years. For Christmas this year, I asked the wife for a new Lee 50th kit. As you can see, she came through:

http://cs.mlsr.net/LeeChristmas.jpg

When I got out of High School I purchased an RCBS Rock Chucker kit, and used it to reload .40 for my 2nd gen Glock. My brother used it once or twice to reload .243 too. When I found out that the police academy would not let me shoot reloads, I boxed up my stuff and stuck it away in the closet. I've been shooting on the department's dime ever since.

About 6 or 7 years ago my wife and I had a yard sale and I dug out all my old reloading gear. It did not sell, so I asked my brother if he wanted it. To the best of my recollection, I had given it to him.

But when I was cleaning out the shed today I came across an old, tattered box. To my surprise, look what I found inside:

http://cs.mlsr.net/Shooting/Bench/P1140576.JPG

MY ROCK CHUCKER KIT!!!!

It has a little surface rust in a couple places from 6 or 7 years of being in a dark, damp shed, but it will clean up nice. I was more excited to see the 505 scale and powder measure. The RCBS Case Trimmer was a really nice addition too.

Does anyone know if I can convert this old press to the new quick change bushings?

Great find!
I think you can convert it if it has the 1 1/4 threads.

Wow I thought Jack was the only one that bought presses and forgot he had them :supergrin:

Bob

GioaJack
01-11-2010, 21:01
Great find!

Wow I thought Jack was the only one that bought presses and forgot he had them :supergrin:

Bob

I also have an original, uncirculated rookie Ty Cobb baseball card... I keep it safely tucked away between my Quiche and Tofu recipes.

Memnok:

Check the Hornady website under bushings in the metallic reloading section. All you need is the conversion bushing and regular bushings for the dies you'll be using.

Beware of taking advise from bob2223... the Rubber Room squad is still trying to track him down. :whistling:

Jack

harleyfx69
01-11-2010, 23:39
havent found 20 bucks in a jacket before, but have found ammo that got lost along the way, a couple magazines with good hollow points in them, along with several things of that nature ..

shotgunred
01-12-2010, 05:02
No I have never found $20 in an old jacket. My wife does my laundry. I am lucky to find $20 in my wallet after she takes it out of my pants to wash the pants.:crying:

Brucev
01-12-2010, 07:08
Congratulations! You found something better than $20 in a jacket pocket! You found a "blast from the past" and what is more, you found equipment that will allow you to shoot your firearms at less cost as well as giving you years of pleasure in tailoring ammunition to meet your own needs.

I haven't found $20 in a jacket pocket. But, after my identical-twin brother passed away, his wife decided to pitch much of his reloading equipment/supplies. She had never had any use for his hobby and I suppose this was her way of expressing her opinion. So... out of the trash I removed and carted away a RCBS Sr. press, 505 scale, powder measure w/ bracket... many hundreds of bullets in .30. .38. .44 caliber... several pounds of assorted powder... 2,000 rounds of Korean M-2 ball, 648 rds. of Danish M-2 ball, 180 rds. of Barnual .30-06 ammo... assorted .30-06 factory hunting loads... etc. I offered to sell these items for my sister-in-law so that she could have the money. She said she'd rather that I just left it in the trash. I did not comply with that request. In fact, after I finished removing all the above items, I also found she had thrown away his Danner Ft. Lewis boots (in excellent condition) and my brother's USGI issue pocket knife, dated 1983, which he had when he was in the Army. Incidentally with the various calibers of ammo and reloading bullets, etc., that were surplus to my needs I was able to do some swapping and come up with a extremely nice CMP USGI Service Grade M-1 that was a RRAD rebuild. It currently sits in my gun cabinet... it is a beautiful example of RRAD production and is superlatively accurate. So... I never found $20 in a jacket pocket, but I have found some stuff for which I think might be worth a little more than $20. Sincerely. Brucev.

srd
01-12-2010, 07:24
The only time i find money like that is when i do laundry and see what the laundry fairy left me. Seeing how i am divorced it was mine to begin with.

farnorthwintercamper
01-12-2010, 09:10
Ouch! that rockchucker is rusted out... If you want to save disposal costs I will pay the shipping to me... just kidding! great find!
I think the rock chucker is the last word in presses!
P.s do not forget to clean and lube each time and it will produce match grade ammo forever.

JuneyBooney
01-12-2010, 09:13
I have found money in my jacket pockets and a 20 dollar bill is pretty cool to find in my pocket.:supergrin:

robin303
01-12-2010, 14:32
I found some old Playboys in a box I didn't know I had.:whistling:

PBKing
01-12-2010, 14:50
I found some old Playboys in a box I didn't know I had.:whistling:
Hey, those are mine

With that much RCBS green runin thru your veins it would be hard to forget a press, but on the other hand...uh what was I sayin?

Serendipity

WiskyT
01-12-2010, 16:16
I put on my old leather jacket that I haven't worn in years the other day. I looked inside the inner pocket and found a rubber. The Expiration date puts in between wife #1 and wife #2.:whistling:

Mr_C
01-12-2010, 16:26
What a good find.

A few years back I purchased a truck and it had a few hundred rounds of 9mm behind the seat (previous owner was ex-military, obvious hunter/shooter). At the time I didn't have anything that could shoot that... but that problem has since been resolved. "But honey, I have to buy a G19, I already have ammo for it and we can't let it all go stale."

gleasonb
01-12-2010, 16:32
found $500 above my visor right before I dropped my old GMC Envoy off as a trade in!! I sold a gun n stuck the $ up there and forgot about it.
oops, at least I found it

tonelar
01-12-2010, 16:38
Great find! I'm still on my first RCBS single stage.

sig2009
01-12-2010, 16:46
Never found $20 in a jacket but I did find a $3,000.00 mistake in my paycheck once.
Fortunately I do not make out my time sheet. My boss did and they never found the overpayment!

DEADLYACCURATE
01-12-2010, 16:57
Congratulations! You found something better than $20 in a jacket pocket! You found a "blast from the past" and what is more, you found equipment that will allow you to shoot your firearms at less cost as well as giving you years of pleasure in tailoring ammunition to meet your own needs.

I haven't found $20 in a jacket pocket. But, after my identical-twin brother passed away, his wife decided to pitch much of his reloading equipment/supplies. She had never had any use for his hobby and I suppose this was her way of expressing her opinion. So... out of the trash I removed and carted away a RCBS Sr. press, 505 scale, powder measure w/ bracket... many hundreds of bullets in .30. .38. .44 caliber... several pounds of assorted powder... 2,000 rounds of Korean M-2 ball, 648 rds. of Danish M-2 ball, 180 rds. of Barnual .30-06 ammo... assorted .30-06 factory hunting loads... etc. I offered to sell these items for my sister-in-law so that she could have the money. She said she'd rather that I just left it in the trash. I did not comply with that request. In fact, after I finished removing all the above items, I also found she had thrown away his Danner Ft. Lewis boots (in excellent condition) and my brother's USGI issue pocket knife, dated 1983, which he had when he was in the Army. Incidentally with the various calibers of ammo and reloading bullets, etc., that were surplus to my needs I was able to do some swapping and come up with a extremely nice CMP USGI Service Grade M-1 that was a RRAD rebuild. It currently sits in my gun cabinet... it is a beautiful example of RRAD production and is superlatively accurate. So... I never found $20 in a jacket pocket, but I have found some stuff for which I think might be worth a little more than $20. Sincerely. Brucev.

Best find I think

DEADLYACCURATE
01-12-2010, 16:58
Never found $20 in a jacket but I did find a $3,000.00 mistake in my paycheck once.
Fortunately I do not make out my time sheet. My boss did and they never found the overpayment!

:wow::wow:

GioaJack
01-12-2010, 17:28
I put on my old leather jacket that I haven't worn in years the other day. I looked inside the inner pocket and found a rubber. The Expiration date puts in between wife #1 and wife #2.:whistling:

I still have the original one I bought in high school... I'm hoping to have occasion to use it one of these days. :crying:

Jack

Hydraulicman
01-13-2010, 04:38
awesome . I really like my rockchucker kit. Very dependable

PBKing
01-13-2010, 07:52
oops...sorry

WiskyT
01-13-2010, 17:11
I still have the original one I bought in high school... I'm hoping to have occasion to use it one of these days. :crying:

Jack

If you'd have been a sailor, you could have used it on shore leave.

Glocks&Ducs
01-13-2010, 18:14
Great find!

Bob

Why did you quote him and his pictures when you replied to his thread?

mbradst
01-15-2010, 21:51

Who cares? You waited this late in the thread to be a jerk? Nobody else had a problem with his reply.

Great find Memnok!!

Glocks&Ducs
01-15-2010, 22:41
Who cares? You waited this late in the thread to be a jerk? Nobody else had a problem with his reply.

Great find Memnok!!

Oh look. Someone isn't happy with their life so they decide they are going to engage in their once a month lashing out.

I didn't wait for anything 'tard. When I posted the question was the first time I had read or even seen the thread.

It is a legitimate question, and one that I ask because I am wondering why people do it.

Bob2223
01-16-2010, 07:21

When I hit the reply button I meant to delete everything including the pics and just leave the red line in the OP
but didnt ,, :supergrin:

Bob

mbradst
01-16-2010, 07:56
Oh look. Someone isn't happy with their life so they decide they are going to engage in their once a month lashing out.

I didn't wait for anything 'tard. When I posted the question was the first time I had read or even seen the thread.

It is a legitimate question, and one that I ask because I am wondering why people do it.

oops, I forgot. I don't have 10,000 posts so I can't open my mouth. I guess I am a tard. BTW, my life is great. I don't spend every waking minute of mine on GT. If you are wondering about why people do it, how about starting a new thread and not crapping on the OP.