Ammo Storage Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Storage Question

nedfolks
01-11-2010, 23:57
Instead of keeping 100 rounds (for example) of .40 Winchester white box in the white box...Can I put the rounds in a zip lock bag to save space?
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I just thought maybe when the rounds clang against each other it could damage them.
Thanks in adavnce for your time.

ronin.45
01-12-2010, 00:37
I guess it depends on where you are gonna store the bag. Having them in a ziplock bag won't hurt them at all. They should be just fine with normal jostling in the bag. If you are going to put the bag in your fanny pack while you jog then you might have enough banging around to ding up a shell. Odds are it wouldn't hurt the function of the cartridge but if one got dinged up too much it might not feed right.

Forty-eight
01-12-2010, 00:39
I would think that you would be OK doing that. The reason I say that is because many types of ammo come packaged that way in the box. I just purchased some Winchester 9mm white box, and they are packaged just laying loose in the box.

MainStreetIowa
01-12-2010, 06:00
Hell yes you can do that. To save space in my ammo cans I do the exact same thing, only I double-up on the ziplocks just to be on the safe side of waterproofing. You can fit about 4X as much ammo in a can if it's not boxed up.

Be sure to save the empty boxes somewhere, though.

Brucev
01-12-2010, 07:45
Put the ammo is zip-lock freezer bags. Include the end label off the box with the lot number, ammo type, bullet weight, etc. This will allow you to store more ammo in a smaller space. Later if you want to, you can shoot the ammo in batches based on lot number, bullet weight, manufacturer, etc.

You need to be aware that if you choose to store your ammunition without the factory packaging, it will make it difficult if you later choose to sell the ammunition. But if you are sure that you will be using the ammunition, then there is no reason to keep it in the factory packaging. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

J_Rico
01-12-2010, 09:33
I have just started easing into this for space reasons.

I have been keeping up with lot numbers in case I find a bad batch, but it was suggested to save the box. Why? For potential resale?

Joshhtn
01-12-2010, 09:37
I have just started easing into this for space reasons.

I have been keeping up with lot numbers in case I find a bad batch, but it was suggested to save the box. Why? For potential resale?

That's why I hold on to mine.

J_Rico
01-12-2010, 09:40
If you are going to keep the box, why take the ammo out?

If you still store the box, what are you gaining?

Do you store the boxes elsewhere w/o worrying about temperature, etc?

LoadedTech
01-12-2010, 09:56
Pickle jars hold alot of rounds, and are water proof.

mteagle1
01-12-2010, 10:59
Except for practice ammo which goes in a 30 caliber ammo can, I prefer to put my match ammo in original cardboard boxes. For me it is easier to pull out the holder and dump 5 or 10 rounds in my hand than picking rounds out of a 100 fliptop box.

nedfolks
01-15-2010, 00:22
Thank you everyone! I put my ammo in p;astic zip lock bags w/ the cardbourd end of each box that they came from.

Bruce M
01-15-2010, 06:49
Georgia Arms ammo comes in a sealed plastic bag rethaer than a box. I shot some the other day that I got sometime a decade or so ago and it was fine.

samuse
01-15-2010, 07:23
A little over a year ago, I just got an ammo can, made sure it was very clean and poured a little over 2000 rounds in it and closed the lid. Was that a bad thing to do?:dunno:

G8Kpr
01-15-2010, 20:24
A little over a year ago, I just got an ammo can, made sure it was very clean and poured a little over 2000 rounds in it and closed the lid. Was that a bad thing to do?:dunno:

HORRIBLE! You cretin. I'll PM you my name and address so you can send them to me for proper disposition... :whistling:

Seriously, I've stored ammo in zippie bags and ammo cans for years, pulled it out, and shot the hell out of it - no prob!

Jeepnik
01-15-2010, 21:48
The one thing the box will do that the baggie won't is breath. Might want to toss in one of those little silica packets just to be on the safe side. They're cheap, and might add some peace of mind.

.45Super-Man
01-16-2010, 06:22
If you are going to keep the box, why take the ammo out?

If you still store the box, what are you gaining?

Do you store the boxes elsewhere w/o worrying about temperature, etc?

That's FAR to logical! :faint: