CCF Raceframes Slide versus Lone Wolf Slide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCF Raceframes Slide versus Lone Wolf Slide

1trp45
01-12-2010, 06:09
I am curious is there a difference in durability and strength between carbon steel and stainless? I considering building a Glock 17 slide for my Glock 34 and wondering the the reason for the price difference between the two and the material itself. Thanks

Andrew

JohnKSa
01-12-2010, 21:40
The raw material (stainless steel) tends to be more expensive and harder to machine.

.45Super-Man
01-14-2010, 05:06
In terms of strength, I'll take carbon steel every time. What makes stainless different is adding a certain % of chrome and nickel to the steel. For example, 416 stainless indicates 4% nickel and 16% chromium. The higher % of other metals you add to the mix, the less actual steel. Stainless is softer and slightly lighter in terms of equal amounts of volume(if memory serves).

JohnKSa
01-14-2010, 21:15
Stainless is softer and slightly lighter in terms of equal amounts of volume(if memory serves).It would depend on the particular alloy. Nickel is about 12% more dense than carbon steel while chromium is about 9 % lighter. So if you have an alloy with a lot of Nickel and not a lot of chromium it will be more dense (heavier per volume) than steel.

For the slide application, the softness/hardness has to do with how much the part is hardened and almost nothing to do with the intrinsic strength of the material. Typically used alloys of both carbon steel and stainless steel can be hardened to a level that is far beyond what is usual for large gun parts like slides.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think 416 has much nickel in it.

http://www.azom.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=971

stgha
01-14-2010, 22:26
I had heard from a armorer I know that they used to carry the Raceframes but stopped because of fit issues (Fitting required for components, not just drop in and go as it is supposed to be). Again, I have no hands on time with one. I have only heard this info.
Anyone have a Raceframe that can share their experiences with them?

Steve

ondanset
12-09-2010, 17:58
In terms of strength, I'll take carbon steel every time. What makes stainless different is adding a certain % of chrome and nickel to the steel. For example, 416 stainless indicates 4% nickel and 16% chromium.

necrothread I know, but I couldn't let this sit in the archives uncorrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

The SAE grade (i.e. 316, 440, 416 etc) for stainless and other steels is an arbitrary naming scheme, with no inherent meaning to the grade. You can verify in your copy of Machinery's Handbook if you don't like the Wikpedia link.

There are metals informally referred to by their alloy components (for instance the common Ti6Al4V), but even those have formal arbitrary grading schemes (ASTM Grade 5 for the titanium alloy I just mentioned)

nnickatnight
12-13-2010, 07:20
The CCF frames have had many issues and if you want the skinny on it, Robar guns could probably give you the scoop. Robar had originally picked them up to go with their refinishing packages (NP3, etc.), and have since dropped them. To me, that speaks volumes as Robar is a well known, established, and customer friendly company that does top notch work.