Recoil-G36 vs G38 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recoil-G36 vs G38

Russell Lang
01-12-2010, 09:09
For those who have shot both the G-36 and the G-38, how does the recoil of the two compare, using equivalent ammunition? I had a G-36 that I carried for several years, and finally decided that I did not shoot it as well as I should if it was being carried regularly. I never had any major issues with the G-36, but the compact G-19/23/38 models seem to fit my hand better. I am not trying to compare 45 ACP to 45 GAP - only the recoil between the two models. Any comments from those who have shot both, and have no axe to grind on the caliber would be greatly appreciated.

Officer's Match
01-12-2010, 09:23
For those who have shot both the G-36 and the G-38, how does the recoil of the two compare, using equivalent ammunition? I had a G-36 that I carried for several years, and finally decided that I did not shoot it as well as I should if it was being carried regularly. I never had any major issues with the G-36, but the compact G-19/23/38 models seem to fit my hand better. I am not trying to compare 45 ACP to 45 GAP - only the recoil between the two models. Any comments from those who have shot both, and have no axe to grind on the caliber would be greatly appreciated.

Russell, you're probably in a more objective place to ask this question that GG. I haven't actually owned a 36, but have shot them on multiple occasions, side by side with my (now sold) 23 and my 38 (of which I now own four). The 38 is far more pleasurable to shoot than the 23 or 36. I found the 23 somewhat more manageable than the 36, but the 38 easily surpasses them both. These are purely subjective comments, so I highly recommend trying a 38 if you can find someone near you with one.

As far as loads, I actually was handicapping against the 38 when I compared them as I was running defensive load thru it (200gr Gold Dot) and practice loads thru the other two (WWB if I recall correctly).

Russell Lang
01-12-2010, 09:54
OM- thanks for the quick response. I called the only large shooting range in my area that rents guns, and they did not have a G-38 for rent. I was hoping to rent the G-38 and shoot my G-36 along side at the same time, but fate was against me. But I will keep trying!
My thought was that the G-38, with the slightly wider back-strap and longer grip, would feel better, but I was guessing. Will keep looking for someone local who has the G-38 for me to try. I figure if I buy a box of ammo, I could shoot half of it to see how I like the gun, and give the other half to whoever owns the gun as a rental fee. Any takers in the St. Louis area?