Home Defense Auto [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense Auto

tarmac
01-12-2010, 10:11
If you have an Auto for home defense how do you keep it loaded? Magazine loaded, Chamber empty or magazine loaded and one in the chamber? I know with a pump some recommendations are magazine full, chamber empty, hammer down (trigger pulled) with safety off. But what about an Auto?

Wild Gene
01-12-2010, 11:14
I don't like to leave anything I am not carrying loaded. I don't want to come home and find someone with my shotgun ready to go either. I would rather fumble with the shells myself than have someone else find it first in ready condition.

It really depends on how you can store your shotgun, how long your driveway is, and if the dog can still hear.

I look foreward to everyone else's replies.

WG

mixflip
01-12-2010, 12:06
I had the same issue? I eventually decided to go this route but dont advocate it for everyone.

I leave my pump half loaded. Reason? I carry 4 on the side saddle and 4 in the mag tube. My own opinion is that the shells are mostly plastic vs metal so being stored under full spring pressure can cause the shells to deform and bind up in the tube. I dont have proof of this its just my opinion.

I figure if I leave it half full the spring pressure will not deform the shells and I will still have 4 shots ready for action if I get that home invasion knock at the door. I also leave the chamber empty with the bolt closed and safety off. The safety is off so all I have to do is grab, rack and go when I am crusty eyed at O dark 30. It is stored in a safe for safety so there is some lag time but not much, with practice.

The auto is also stored the same exact way for commonality in fire controls. If I was not home and my wife needed the guns...she has already done dry run scenarios with me on where to go and what to do and what condition the shotguns are in. Grab gun, rack in some ammo, and go.

Half loaded mag tube, chamber empty, bolt closed, safety off.

This may not be the gold standard in the NRA or the gun world in general but its my setup and it works for us and its how we train. My Glocks dont have a button safety and my defensive shotguns dont either. All the fun guns are kept empty with safety on. Defensive guns are ready to work.

I believe almost any setup you choose is sufficient as long as you "train" to safely and effectively use your tools that way every time. Fumbling through a life and death situation is the last thing you want to do. Especially if you have a wife who is you primary back up. She needs to know what is expected to a certain degree. Not just be a damsel in distress.

corndogggy
01-12-2010, 16:07
Chamber empty, tube full of 8 shells, safety on. But, that's just me.

Dr. J Frame
01-12-2010, 18:08
Police shotguns have been carried in variations of "cruiser ready" for probably a century now. Many decades anyway. Although you will read of different versions of hammer cocked or hammer down, and safety on or safety off, the one thing that always remains the same seems to be a fully loaded magazine tube.

I stow mine with empty chamber, full magazine(5). I prefer hammer cocked because this means the forearm is locked forward in a positive, secure position for a fast grab if needed. Safety on.

DaGroaner
01-12-2010, 18:41
I keep my Saiga-12 with the mag loaded one round short, chamber loaded, safety engaged.

gnepig
01-13-2010, 00:26
The wife and I keep them with full mags, none in the chamber, uncocked and safety off. They stay in the safe but the safe is unlocked when we are home (the safe is in our bedroom).
We keep them like this for the racking sound, to give the bad guy an early warning that he has significant oposition, he/ they will hear this sound from 2 different parts of the house. My semi auto makes a large racking sound when chambering the first round, we all know what the wifes mossburg 500 sounds like.

I have read the oposition to this way of thinking ie: gives away your position, but I don't really ever want to kill anyone and will take my chances on them fearing the sound and fleeing before pulling the trigger.

Jet Mech
01-14-2010, 09:39
"We keep them like this for the racking sound, to give the bad guy an early warning that he has significant oposition"
For what it's worth I keep the shotgun the same as the Glock...,Ready to pull the trigger if needed. I don't want to give any warning or notice of my location. If they are in my house to do harm, I don't want them to leave standing to just go to the next house.

sgt1911
01-14-2010, 11:55
Benelli M4-mag tube full, bolt open and 1 in the carrier.

mixflip
01-14-2010, 12:52
Just curious but if the home defense shotgun has an empty and is locked in a safe...why the need to also put the safety on? In a SHTF, crusty eye'd and groggy at O-dark-30 moment...will you remember to take the safety off and defend yourself?

Its already safe with an empty chamber and locked in a safe? What is the logic behind this setup of empty chamber, locked in safe....and safety on? I am not 100% against it. I just want to know the logic behind why its chosen on a HD shotgun?

raven11
01-14-2010, 15:21
"We keep them like this for the racking sound, to give the bad guy an early warning that he has significant oposition"
For what it's worth I keep the shotgun the same as the Glock...,Ready to pull the trigger if needed. I don't want to give any warning or notice of my location. If they are in my house to do harm, I don't want them to leave standing to just go to the next house.

i agree , the only warning a bad guy is going to get is racking sound after i shoot his buddy in the face :whistling:

Dr. J Frame
01-14-2010, 15:44
Just curious but if the home defense shotgun has an empty and is locked in a safe...why the need to also put the safety on?
Many safety designs block the sear movement and not just the trigger's movement.

By engaging the safety you minimize the possibility of "hammer follow" on many firearms. The hammer will follow the bolt forward and be resting on the firing pin. Or a delayed follow where the sear/hammer is released by the shock of the bolt slamming into it's locked position.

whoever
01-14-2010, 19:25
Full mag, chambered round, safety on. Disengage safety, point, pull trigger.

Whazoo
01-17-2010, 15:56
i agree , the only warning a bad guy is going to get is racking sound after i shoot his buddy in the face :whistling:

this is interesting - from a tactical advantage standpoint you are in a better position. However I keep the gun in cruiser ready (w mag tube downloaded by one) - In a HD situation, my hope is to avoid shooting if possible - but of course this is completely dictated by the intruder/s behavior/s. John Farnam has noted that he has NEVER failed to get immediate compliance from a suspect upon racking the slide and issueing a loud verbal challenge...

hybridsquirrel
01-17-2010, 18:17
Full magazine, 1 chambered, safety on.

djegators
01-19-2010, 11:57
Seems to me, the racking sound may be enough justification in a bad guys mind to shoot immediately, as he is about to get blasted.

CTfam
01-23-2010, 19:05
Mag loaded, chamber empty, hammer down, safety off.

DrtyHarry
01-23-2010, 19:48
FULLY Loaded, +1 in the chamber, safety on, 16" Saiga 12ga. with 20 rd. drum, light, laser, AK conversion/pistol grip.

That's a lot of lead to throw, real fast. :D

DH

ScrappyDoo
01-23-2010, 20:37
I don't have one yet but I'm getting mine next weekend, and I would imagine I'll keep mine close by, maybe in the closet, fully locked and loaded, safety on. IF and WHEN I have to pull my shotgun out of the closet, **in home defense???**, I want to have two simple clicks, one click off safety, and the next click sending the bad guy to Hell where he belongs.

amblackm
01-23-2010, 21:52
I stow mine with empty chamber, full magazine(5). I prefer hammer cocked because this means the forearm is locked forward in a positive, secure position for a fast grab if needed. Safety on.

This +1

ChaneyD
01-23-2010, 22:08
Every Glock I own is locked & loaded. In every room.

CTfam
01-23-2010, 22:41
Are shotguns drop safe? I cringe at the thought of keeping a shell chambered. Don't know why... I keep everything else ready to go.

1smoothredneck
01-27-2010, 14:09
Are shotguns drop safe? I cringe at the thought of keeping a shell chambered. Don't know why... I keep everything else ready to go.
Pumps are NOT drop safe, and I do not know of any autos that are, but I'm a pump guy, so not sure.

CTfam
01-27-2010, 15:41
Pumps are NOT drop safe, and I do not know of any autos that are, but I'm a pump guy, so not sure.

So why the heck would you want to keep your shotgun cocked and locked? Wouldn't you be concerned with bumping it while digging it out of its stash spot? How long does it take to rack a round into the chamber?

Also, are AKs drop safe? I have a S-12 but don't use it for HD.

CTfam
01-27-2010, 15:42
FULLY Loaded, +1 in the chamber, safety on, 16" Saiga 12ga. with 20 rd. drum, light, laser, AK conversion/pistol grip.

That's a lot of lead to throw, real fast. :D

DH

Pics please.... I love Saigas. I have a converted 12 as well. Among others..:cool:

Robalero
01-27-2010, 19:00
Remington Tactical 1100 fully loaded, one in chamber, safety on, and quick accesibility, yet well hidden. This was not always the case as the wife and I are empty nesters.

flagg
02-02-2010, 14:04
full tube, empty chamber, safety off.

chuck chuck

David Armstrong
02-02-2010, 15:53
For what it's worth I keep the shotgun the same as the Glock...,Ready to pull the trigger if needed. I don't want to give any warning or notice of my location.
FWIW, if you racking the shotgun gives the BG enough warning to do something, you are doing it wrong. My $.02.

David Armstrong
02-02-2010, 15:55
My standard for shotguns (Rem 870 pump, Beretta 1201 FP auto) is chamber empty, safety off, mag tube down one round. That makes it plenty easy to put it into fighting condition as I'm bringing it into play, allows a fast select slug drill if needed, and gives a good level of safety.