Dumb Question ! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question !

TerdSlayer
01-12-2010, 09:49
This might be a dumb question but I will ask it any way..... I have a Mac-90 with the thunbhole stock.. I would like to replace the stock with an AK stock an grip, Is this possible ?

jamesavery22
01-12-2010, 09:59
Not a dumb question at all. I believe you have to take off the existing stock and see how the receiver is cut. Compare it to something like a WASR or any standard AK with a fixed stock. If its more angled you might be in for a lot of work.

Take pics and show us :)

TerdSlayer
01-12-2010, 14:08
I'm not able to post a picture but it is a Norinco Mak90 Sporter if this helps.

CarlosC
01-12-2010, 14:24
What James is saying is that it is not so simple with a MAK (not Mac :supergrin:) because it came in two flavors, straight cut receiver - like a normal AK - and slant cut. In the case of the slant cut, you would not simply be able to instal a regular AK buttstock and you'd have to buy a custom made stock or one from Ironwood. That's why he was asking for a picture.

Even if you did have a straight cut receiver, there are other things you have to consider. First and foremost is the legality of what you'd be doing. In its current configuration, you rifle is a legal, "sporter". Once you change anything on it (like replacing the stock with a pistol grip) that no longer makes it a sporter, it suddenly becomes evil and subject to a federal law, commonly refered to as 922r.

That's not a problem though. The main thing to keep in mind when complying with 922r is to not exceed the maximum number of foreign parts (10) in the rifle. Depending on how your rifle was made, it may only require you to replace a few parts with US made parts or up to six parts. Replacing AK parts with US parts is not some scheme we came up with to side skirt the law, but a common practice in the industry. It is how Arsenal imports Russian AKs right now, for example.

The second thing to consider is that the Chinese receivers are thicker than normal and a stock set from another rifle may require some fitting to make it fit.

space_weazel
01-12-2010, 23:01
If I am not mistaken on a MAK since the barrel is not threaded, you will only need to add 5 US parts, the stock (counts as 1), pistol grip (1), and the fire control group (3) so that's 5 and you are g2g. If you have a slant cut receiver it will be obvious, so pop that stock off and have a look.

nickster
01-13-2010, 00:04
This may be of some help to you.

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDsite/IWDAK.html

TerdSlayer
01-13-2010, 06:28
It is a stamped straight cut receiver.

CarlosC
01-13-2010, 15:33
If I am not mistaken on a MAK since the barrel is not threaded, you will only need to add 5 US parts, the stock (counts as 1), pistol grip (1), and the fire control group (3) so that's 5 and you are g2g. If you have a slant cut receiver it will be obvious, so pop that stock off and have a look.
Actually, some MAK-90s escaped the grinder and made it through with threaded barrels. These were the early 1990 models that were stuck in customs. Rare.

To the OP...
As for your parts count, you have many options, but you must first know how many parts you need to comply with 922r. We have established yours is a stamped receiver...correct? Check and see if your barrel is threaded. If it is, then you need 6 parts. If not, then it is as space_weazel said, 5 parts. Here are the parts the ATF says make an AK:
1. Receiver
2. Front trunnion (only on stamped AKs)
3. Barrel
4. Barrel extensions, like brakes and flash suppressors (only on guns with threaded barrels)
5. Bolt
6. Bolt carrier
7. Gas piston
8. Hammer
9. Trigger
10. Disconnector
11. Stock
12. Pistol grip
13. Handguards (upper and lower count as one item)
14. Magazine body
15. Magazine follower
16. Magazine base plate

You are free to mix and match US and foreign parts as long as you don't exceed 10 foreign parts in your gun. I wanted to go for an original look on my MAK-90, so I replaced the thumbhole stock with a Chinese stock and pistol grip. For compliance, I replaced my FCG with a TAPCO set (3 parts), a US piston (1 part), and a US-made follower for my magazine from Arsenal. I also wanted to thread my barrel (my gun was not one of the fortunate ones to escape the grinder), so I threaded my barrel at 1/2x28 (AR-15/M-16) and had a guy on another gun board make me a muzzle nut (1 part).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/CarlosC/Guns/Rifles/Chinese/DSC00893.jpg

space_weazel
01-14-2010, 01:02
Correct again hombre, I again was taking the quick and dirty route.

I personally would not use any mag part as one of my U.S. parts so that I could use any mag I found in the bottom of a bargain bin or where ever, however if you had goals like CarlosC then the mag part was needed to maintain the original look.

TerdSlayer
01-17-2010, 09:51
Thanks to everyone that responded !