Small Pistol Primer question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Small Pistol Primer question

mossy500camo
01-12-2010, 10:57
Where in the Heck are you guys finding them? Info please!

ron59
01-12-2010, 11:53
Shooting small pistol MAGNUMS... will work fine in any of your loads. I'm using them with my 9mm stuff.

CCI it seems is largely producing the MAGNUMS, at least they are way more prevalent.

I've received two separate orders from Powder Valley in the past 6 months. I order 10,000 at a time. If they list it on the site (even as backordered), they'll accept the order and ship as it comes in. I must have hit it lucky last time (October?), as they were listed as backordered, I placed my order and had them in my hands one week later.

Ordered 10,000 at a time, that comes out to $26 - $27 per 1000, a price that can't be beat these days.

My stores around here carry them, but for $3.99 per 100... no way I'm paying $40.00 per 1000. If I was totally out of primers I might buy a few to hold me over... but I wouldn't be "stocking up" at that price.

Actually, I just checked, and currently they're even listing SPP (non-magnums) on the website, something they haven't been doing for awhile. So they must be anticipating a shipment or something.

Place an online order, wait until it shows up, and start cranking.

IndyGunFreak
01-12-2010, 12:10

Wideners had Wolf SPP in stock forever. They still have some LPP in stock

Grafs I believe has small pistol primers in stock.

Earlier this month, Natchezss had Federal SPP in stock

You just have to watch.

IGF

DoctaGlockta
01-12-2010, 12:51
I recently got some (5K) at Powder Valley a couple of weeks ago.

chris in va
01-12-2010, 13:24
Down the road about 10 miles. Plenty in stock.

ron59
01-12-2010, 13:41
Down the road about 10 miles. Plenty in stock.

At $3.99 or higher?

I've not heard of ANY reports of retail stores selling for less than $3.99. That is an unacceptable price for me.

I'd much rather put an online order in and wait a bit. Primers is one place where you really need to order in bulk to start realizing the cost savings associated with reloading.

I say that, as powder is still readily available, and bullet prices didn't go up much, if at all.

shotgunred
01-12-2010, 14:03
The shop down the road sells them for $34 a K. All I want in stock.

robin303
01-12-2010, 14:04
I got 2000 PMC from Wideners and got them in about a week.

dudel
01-12-2010, 14:21

Four local stores have them. Not always the brand I want; but they've had them all along.

mnhogrider
01-12-2010, 14:29
The local Gander Mountain here has CCI large and small pistol primers in stock.

$49.00/K.

$20.00 gouge fee must be added in.

dudel
01-12-2010, 15:48
At $3.99 or higher?

I've not heard of ANY reports of retail stores selling for less than $3.99. That is an unacceptable price for me.

I'd much rather put an online order in and wait a bit. Primers is one place where you really need to order in bulk to start realizing the cost savings associated with reloading.

Not here. $29+tax / thousand for CCI and Magtech. Remington's were a little more; but NEVER $39/thousand (unless you were crazy enough to buy at a gun show!)

Prices here have been stable over the last year. When I buy a brick of primers, I slip the reciept in the box. That helps me keep track of prices that I plug into my load records.

Don

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2010, 16:08
They are about 30-32 per box here. Last I looked. I just got lucky with a 20K of CCI at $25 per 1K delivered. I'm looking at them right now. Very pretty. Sit taller then my 8lb of Powder.

str8tshooter
01-12-2010, 16:39
Tagged for primer sources. Thanks, Guys, I appreciate the resources, as I am getting a Lee Classic turret Press in February, and starting my reloading adventures. What advice do you have for a newbie. Somebody mentioned keeping receipts for records/data. What do you mean by that/ Do you keep records of everything, and if so, in what format. What info goes in there? Thanks for any help you offer.

robin303
01-12-2010, 16:58
Check this out: http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Handgun_Reloading_Cost_Calculator.htm

dudel
01-12-2010, 17:17
Tagged for primer sources. Thanks, Guys, I appreciate the resources, as I am getting a Lee Classic turret Press in February, and starting my reloading adventures. What advice do you have for a newbie. Somebody mentioned keeping receipts for records/data. What do you mean by that/ Do you keep records of everything, and if so, in what format. What info goes in there? Thanks for any help you offer.

I wrote some software that keeps my load library, prints my box labels, and calculates my cost per round and cost/100. To calculate costs, I enter in the cost of the can of powder, primers, projectiles (and cases if they are bought new). It was done more as an excercise, but being web based, I can access it (except for printing) from my smart phone while I'm at the bench. It also has a library of targets to print suitable for the caliber.

I plan to add an inventory function so I can see what I'm running low of. From the store, I can see that I have 1/4 can of Bullseye left, so it's time to pick up a replacement can. Calculations are easy, because it knows how many grains go into a load, and how many I've loaded of each. Combine that with 7000 grains to a pound, and the rest is easy. It will also tell me how many of which primers I have left, so I don't stock up on ones that I have enough of.

I may add a balistics calculator as well, so that at the range, off my phone, I know how much drop to set into the scope.

I may also add chrono data with the load, some additional casting info, save target images with the load data, etc. It's a never ending project that if allowed, could take away from shooting time.

Don

dudel
01-12-2010, 17:20

Best advise would be to read up before you buy any equipment. ABC's of reloading is a very good starting point. I wouldn't buy a single piece of equipment until you read the book (twice). You will be much better informed as to what to buy, and in what order to buy it. Some stuff is essential for your first round, other stuff is nice to have, other stuff may be useless (depending on what you load).

Don

DEADLYACCURATE
01-12-2010, 17:21

$49.00/K.

so are they 49 or 69

dudel
01-12-2010, 17:29
so are they 49 or 69

Only if one insists on paying that much. :upeyes:

GioaJack
01-12-2010, 17:34
I wrote some software that keeps my load library, prints my box labels, and calculates my cost per round and cost/100. To calculate costs, I enter in the cost of the can of powder, primers, projectiles (and cases if they are bought new). It was done more as an excercise, but being web based, I can access it (except for printing) from my smart phone while I'm at the bench. It also has a library of targets to print suitable for the caliber.

I plan to add an inventory function so I can see what I'm running low of. From the store, I can see that I have 1/4 can of Bullseye left, so it's time to pick up a replacement can. Calculations are easy, because it knows how many grains go into a load, and how many I've loaded of each. Combine that with 7000 grains to a pound, and the rest is easy. It will also tell me how many of which primers I have left, so I don't stock up on ones that I have enough of.

I may add a balistics calculator as well, so that at the range, off my phone, I know how much drop to set into the scope.

I may also add chrono data with the load, some additional casting info, save target images with the load data, etc. It's a never ending project that if allowed, could take away from shooting time.

Don

What's the word I'm looking for... damn, it's on the tip of my tongue... what is it, what is it... oh yeah...

GEEK!

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
01-12-2010, 17:38

Best advice I got.

1 Keep it simple. Start with one caliber. Learn on that first.
2 Get a powder you know will work. Unique, 231, TiteGroup etc. Depending on what you want to do and caliber.
3 Buy in bulk. By 80lbs of bullets, buy at least 10K primers, Buy 1 lb of powder but consider getting 8lbs with your primer order. As long as it's a common powder that many people recommend you will use it all. Might as well save money.
4 Start with Jacketed bullets. Precision Delta, Montana Gold, Zero.
5 Get a freaking case gauge for crying out loud as well.

Start hunting for primers now. Keep checking Powder Valley and others regularly. Pounce on any chance to get 10K and your powder.

dudel
01-12-2010, 18:08
What's the word I'm looking for... damn, it's on the tip of my tongue... what is it, what is it... oh yeah...

GEEK!

Jack

That be GEEK with GUN to you, ludite!

Don

mossy500camo
01-12-2010, 18:09
Thanks for the info. I will check out Powder Valley.

GioaJack
01-12-2010, 18:20
That be GEEK with GUN to you, ludite!

Don

You should know by now that I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier... just what is a 'ludite'? I'm guessing it's not the highest form of compliment. :supergrin:

Jack

ramon
01-12-2010, 18:33
If you're going to use a term such as 'ludite' at least spell it correctly as 'Luddite.'

Ramon

GioaJack
01-12-2010, 18:41
If you're going to use a term such as 'ludite' at least spell it correctly as 'Luddite.'

Ramon

AH-HA! Now were talkin'... pretty much a buggy whip maker who wants to slash the tires on all the cars.

Dudel tried to confuse me by making up words. My proclamation stands... GEEK... oh yeah, with a gun. :supergrin:

Jack

kcbrown
01-12-2010, 22:21
AH-HA! Now were talkin'... pretty much a buggy whip maker who wants to slash the tires on all the cars.

Wait...that means you can't be a luddite. Don't you predate buggy whip makers by a century or two? :whistling:

:tongueout:

mnhogrider
01-13-2010, 07:34
so are they 49 or 69

They are $49.00/k.

Market price-$29.00/K.

dudel
01-13-2010, 10:01
Dudel tried to confuse me by making up words. My proclamation stands... GEEK... oh yeah, with a gun. :supergrin:

Jack

I bet there'd be no confusion if I called you a "Vagitarian". :supergrin:

Don

vtbluegrass
01-13-2010, 10:15
Since moving to Eastern NC I haven't bought primers locally because of huge mark-up and lack of supply. When I go home for the holidays to Western VA the gun shop I used to frequent has them by the boat load at $30 to $40 a thousand depending on the brand and type. CCI and Winchester being the cheapest. Federal and Remington being the most expensive. Needless to say I buy in bulk when I visit family.

fredj338
01-13-2010, 13:27

$49.00/K.

Ouch, I would probably not patron that store w/ those kind of prices. Order online & wait for them. Order a lot so you don;t have to do it again & eases the HM fee (10Kmin).