am i paranoid? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : am i paranoid?

GoonGlock21
01-12-2010, 18:24
I am worried about overpenetration with my G21, i use either 200gr gold dots or 185gr Corbon dpx. both +p. I carry in a crowd of thousands of people often and am scared to death of having to an overpenetration if i had to use my gun. any ammo suggestions would be great, as well as another caliber that may be better for no overpenetration.
Thanx Goon

Joshhtn
01-12-2010, 18:26
I think you're okay with what you're using.

Merkavaboy
01-12-2010, 18:33
Only if you were carrying FMJ would I say get something else. I think you're very safe with your choices as those loads would have the least chance of OP'ing compared to heavier loads.

CanyonMan
01-12-2010, 21:45
Oops.....

CanyonMan
01-12-2010, 21:57
I am worried about overpenetration with my G21, i use either 200gr gold dots or 185gr Corbon dpx. both +p. I carry in a crowd of thousands of people often and am scared to death of having to an overpenetration if i had to use my gun. any ammo suggestions would be great, as well as another caliber that may be better for no overpenetration.
Thanx Goon

Your fine. I would not worry wih FMJ, that's just me. But with the loads you mentioned, you will be fine.....
stay safe.

CanyonMan

fredj338
01-13-2010, 00:48
Regardless of your def load, worry more about the miss than the overpenetration. I know it's easier said than done, but you should be aware of the surroundings that you are in when a gunfight occurs. Remember BOTH you & the BG are throwing bullets around. No matter how much you practice, you will be half as good as your best range day in a gunfight.

MSgt Dotson
01-13-2010, 06:30
The WW Silvertip would have the least penetration (10" in gel), barring the specialty loads such as the Glaser...

BOGE
01-13-2010, 08:54
... No matter how much you practice, you will be half as good as your best range day in a gunfight.

If not less. :whistling:

vafish
01-13-2010, 11:27
Regardless of your def load, worry more about the miss than the overpenetration. I know it's easier said than done, but you should be aware of the surroundings that you are in when a gunfight occurs. Remember BOTH you & the BG are throwing bullets around. No matter how much you practice, you will be half as good as your best range day in a gunfight.

+1

And you are responsible for every round you send down range.

Know your target and what is beyond. If there is someone behind your target do not take the shot. Unless you are Jack Bauer and the BG is trying to set off a nuclear weapon.

MrVvrroomm
01-13-2010, 11:43
I would worry more about hitting intended target than over-penetration.

fsqridah
01-13-2010, 13:00
Overpenetration is a bit overblown, especially with the large-caliber weapons. Even FMJ .45s rarely perforate humans because they're so big, heavy, and slow. 230gr slugs going 850fps or less generally stop, and if they do overpenetrate, they're not going fast enough to do much damage. I carry a 10mm and .357 SIG and I don't worry about overpenetration.

I mean seriously, we all sit here and debate and argue and scream and cry about the perfect bullet and make sure it will put down a BG. It's all about which bullet will actually incapacitate someone at point blank, and then we go and worry about accidentally or negligently killing someone after a bullet perforates our target. It's like we're sure we'll kill the second person but worried the first person won't even get hurt. Gets kind of ridiculous, yah know?