Which Non-Glock 10mm NOT to get? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which Non-Glock 10mm NOT to get?

Angry Fist
01-12-2010, 21:22
What do you think are the worst-quality 10mm handguns? Love my G20!:cool:

Angry Fist
01-12-2010, 21:24
Better yet, which ones are notorious for not being designed for the 10?

MinervaDoe
01-13-2010, 10:06
:popcorn:

Morley Menthols
01-13-2010, 15:36
I have owned three different make 10mm autoloaders in the past many years. Two of them functioned most of the time, one of them none of the time. Then I purchased a G20SF about 10-11 months ago. It functions perfectly every time the trigger is pulled, no matter what brand of ammo. Keep your G20 if you want to shoot 10mm. I hate being politically correct and I would tell you the make of the guns I got rid of, but pissing a bunch of people off with too much truth is not what I want to do with this post. If you want another handgun in 10mm, consider the S&W model 610. Mine works perfectly.

Brian Dover
01-13-2010, 16:21
Don't think I'll get hated on by too many** for suggesting that it would be a good idea to pencil in the long-ago discontinued Wyoming/Parker Arms autoloader in 10mm on your 'Don't Gotta Have' list, 10mmmofo.

While I'm feeling froggy I'll jump with the (also discontinued) AMT Javelina 10mm for that DGH list.

**Then again if this thread stays active someone will probl'y chime in to disagree with me on either or both of them. That's fine with me if said disagree-er has one or more of them that work...I'm only disparaging them based on seeing a few of them in person, and NONE of them stayed operational for very long.

BruceO
01-13-2010, 17:58
"Then again if this thread stays active someone will probl'y chime in to disagree with me on either or both of them. That's fine with me if said disagree-er has one or more of them that work...I'm only disparaging them based on seeing a few of them in person, and NONE of them stayed operational for very long."

Roger that!

Even a busted clock is right twice a day.

Myself
01-13-2010, 21:34
I agree with the parker, laserarms and javalina being at or near the bottom of the heap. I would add the thompson 1911's to that list as well.

There have been examples of all of the above that have worked well. They are IMHO more prone to problems then other types.

why
01-14-2010, 07:30
G29
G20
Colt Delta Elite, blue
S&W1076
Witness, full size steel, red followers

Those are the 10's I've owned or had extensive experience with. The ONLY problem that was gun related on any of them was a factory front sight fell off the Delta between round #40-48 of full power Double Taps. Some locktite and 24 hrs later it was good to go and never had another problem.

Waffentomas
01-14-2010, 14:28
OK, I'll bite....

I had a Witness compact (wonder) that was garbage. FTFs and slide lockback issues out of the box. Two trips back to EA solved nothing. Full size was always perfect, but I never fired it because I have so many other 10s.

I had a Kimber Eclipse that was garbage. Lots of feeding issues, crushing brass on the barrel hood, two trips back to Kimber solved nothing. Sold it. Kept all the mags though, they are good mags with the Wolff springs.

I had a DW CBOB that I loved, but was garbage. Three trips back to DW solved nothing. Spent $400 at Cylinder and Slide to fix all the issues. After that, it was fine. Bill, himself, trashed the design of this gun at C&S, basically saying they used a 1911 full sized frame and just stuck a shortened slide on it - can't do that. They were not at all surprised I'd had problems. DW just kept 'tuning' the extractor and replacing the barrel. FTF and premature slidelock issues galore. Also, crushing brass on the barrel hood. I loved the gun once it started working, but after carrying around my full-sized, bobbed, CQB in 10mm, really didn't feel like the short barrelled CBOB was any more comfortable that the 5" Wilson. I'll take the performance increase, and so dumped the CBOB. After all the problems, I never felt like I could trust it - even after it was 'fixed'.

I'll never be able to endorse the above guns. I've read posts where these guns are 100% for others. I'm happy for them, but they were all bad experiences for ME.

My 1985 Delta, DW RZ #243, and Wilson are all great, along with my Glock 20 & 29.