Lookin' for some thoughts and ideas... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' for some thoughts and ideas...

shane.rawlings
01-12-2010, 21:51
I have a G34 and love it, so that takes the 9mm slot, always wanted a classic 1911, thats going to take the .45 acp slot, i want something in the middle too and i didnt like the way my old g23 felt to shoot... ive decided on .357 sig just seems right, i hope i get a shot to try it out before i just go out to get it but i figure recoil cant be to bad and if its good enough to protect our president its good enough for me and my family. This will be my primary ccw and hd gun (until i get the .45 or 12 ga.) so i want to make sure from some people with experiance its a good choice. also i thought (going with the secret service's choice) the 229 would be a good idea, but which one? classic 229, sas, or dak? i like the idea of the consistant trigger pull but with practice im sure the DA/SA wouldnt be to bad and if i hated it i could change it. thoughts??? The 226 doesnt seem much different, does any body have both and prefer it? its mainly between those two and i really like the caliber (even though ive yet to shoot it) but any gun ideas in that caliber can be considered...

thanks for your time

Cobra64
01-12-2010, 22:13
I have a G34 and love it, so that takes the 9mm slot, always wanted a classic 1911, thats going to take the .45 acp slot, i want something in the middle too and i didnt like the way my old g23 felt to shoot... ive decided on .357 sig just seems right, i hope i get a shot to try it out before i just go out to get it but i figure recoil cant be to bad and if its good enough to protect our president its good enough for me and my family. This will be my primary ccw and hd gun (until i get the .45 or 12 ga.) so i want to make sure from some people with experiance its a good choice. also i thought (going with the secret service's choice) the 229 would be a good idea, but which one? classic 229, sas, or dak? i like the idea of the consistant trigger pull but with practice im sure the DA/SA wouldnt be to bad and if i hated it i could change it. thoughts??? The 226 doesnt seem much different, does any body have both and prefer it? its mainly between those two and i really like the caliber (even though ive yet to shoot it) but any gun ideas in that caliber can be considered...

thanks for your time

You're best sticking with one platform, which, in your case, is Glock.

shane.rawlings
01-12-2010, 22:15
i thought about that but what if theres something out there i like more??? its better to have shot and hated than to never have shot at all:supergrin:

G33
01-12-2010, 22:42
The DAK would work sort of like the Glock--DAO.
You have to try one.
Nice trigger.
I have one.
:supergrin:

wingsprint
01-29-2010, 01:49
Have you ever used a full size or compact as a your daily concealed carry? I find that many folks make the mistake of buying something for ccw that they later on find to be too large, heavy and or uncomfortable for daily carry. Then they stop packing all of the time due to the hassle and comfort issues. Whats the point if you do not carry all of the time? Even as a compact, I think most would find the 229 to be too large for ccw in the real world.

Now.. with that said, as for the 229 its self- it is an outstanding gun! It shoots the 357 like a dream. You have the option of a second barrel for 40 S&W and different trigger options. I would suggest a standard 229 in 357. Take some time and learn the standard trigger, you can always change to a DAK or SRT later.

Cobra64
01-29-2010, 02:28
Have you ever used a full size or compact as a your daily concealed carry? I find that many folks make the mistake of buying something for ccw that they later on find to be too large, heavy and or uncomfortable for daily carry. Then they stop packing all of the time due to the hassle and comfort issues. Whats the point if you do not carry all of the time? Even as a compact, I think most would find the 229 to be too large for ccw in the real world.

Now.. with that said, as for the 229 its self- it is an outstanding gun! It shoots the 357 like a dream. You have the option of a second barrel for 40 S&W and different trigger options. I would suggest a standard 229 in 357. Take some time and learn the standard trigger, you can always change to a DAK or SRT later.

FWIW, here's what I carry.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P229/P1010212.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/Marks%20Sigs/P239/P1000583.jpg

wingsprint
01-30-2010, 08:07
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
Beautiful pistols!

J.R. Bob Dobbs
01-30-2010, 08:32
I have a 226/357 and it's my favorite pistol (for now ;) ) The 226 fits my hand just a smidge better than the 229, I think it is because of the slight forward taper at the bottom of the 226 grip. My 229 is 9mm so I don't know if that matters. If you can, find a shop with both, and spend some time alternately holding each. Both fit my hand as nicely as a 1911 which is saying something.

Either should serve you well, and IMO both are too large and heavy for carry, I just prefer something much smaller and lighter for comfort. For carry, I had an excellent 239/357, but I sold it primarily because the double-stack Sigs fit my hand better.