Need suggestions & help on my 1st shotgun purchase. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions & help on my 1st shotgun purchase.

angels and glocks
01-13-2010, 00:28
So I've decided to purchase a 12 gauge shotgun, The infamous Mossberg 500. Mainly for HD and also recreational reasons. I want to purchase the standard 18.5" and upgrade the following: Top Folding Stock, Heat Shield, Rubber Pistol Grip Cover, 6 Shot Side Saddle and possibly a muzzle breaker. I have found one used for $250.00 (I'm sure I can bring it down at least $30). I also have found a possible deal on a brand new 20" mossberg 500a for $275. IMO the 20" looks way better w/ the longer magazine (7+1) but would be hard to maneuver around my house in a situation. What do you guys think? Are these even good prices? What should I do?

My other questions:

Can you make the magazine tube on the 18.5" models longer? So they're aligned?

Which do you think is the best for my HD shotgun: ATI Top folding stock, Choate top folding stock, Knoxx SpecOps folding stock? My 1st choice would have been the ATI Top folding only because it looked badass.. sort of like a spas-12. After a bit reading... my perspective has some what changed.

Also, are 1 point slings compatible with any of the above foldable stocks? I tried googling images, but could not find any.

Lastly, what is the difference between a Mossberg 500 vs 500a? Someone told me they were exactly the same?

I would appreciate it very much if anyone with shotgun knowledge help answer some of my questions. The sooner I figure this all out the sooner I will be able to start placing orders.Thank you in advance!

mixflip
01-13-2010, 03:03
Personally I dont feel there is a huge tactical disadvantage between an 18" barreled shotgun vs a 20" barreled shotgun.

A long gun by its nature has its disadvantages when clearing a house in general. Now you did say you wanted a folding stock? That would make a more significant difference I would think? I am not a fan of them but for storage or in "extremely" tight quarters like narrow hallways and corners and non-traditional shooting positions (from the hip) or getting in & out of a vehicle folding stocks are nice. I'd still unfold them though when shooting.They dont hold up well with the classic but stroke if you ever needed to though? Plus I rarely shoot from the hip unless I am just plinking. I advocate traditional stocks or pistol grips with traditional stocks.

Longer tubes? Yes on many guns. Not every gun though. Choate is probably the most common choice? The 500 is very common so accessories are everywhere for them. I believe a 2 shot extension will line up with an 18.5 inch barrel. I have a 2 shot extension on my Remington and I am ordering an 18.5 inch barrel soon.

I had an ATI top folder on my Mossberg but after the cool look factor wore off I put the traditional stock back on for real world duty.

I am not a fan of single point slings on a shotgun but I am sure you can clip one on with an adapter/spacer? I dont like them so I can really comment on them for help? They make more sense on SBR's and other really short rifles. Thats just me though.

500 vs 500a? Not sure but I think they are the same essentially? I am just guessing though???

I have never been a fan of the short mag tube on the 500's but that is an easy fix. Buy a 590.

angels and glocks
01-13-2010, 03:20
How did you like the ATI's performance? Is it wobbly like many reviews have stated? Does it get in the way of the safety lock?

Also what kind of sling would you recommend for a shotgun pistol gripped? Sorry for the 101 questions. Btw I'm actually considering a Remington 870 now or Moss 590.. Decisions decisions.. btw there's no way to add an extension to the mag on the 500. Supposedly the end cap was not made to be removed.

Uncle T-bone
01-13-2010, 07:30
So I've decided to purchase a 12 gauge shotgun, The infamous Mossberg 500. Mainly for HD and also recreational reasons. I want to purchase the standard 18.5" and upgrade the following: Top Folding Stock, Heat Shield, Rubber Pistol Grip Cover, 6 Shot Side Saddle and possibly a muzzle breaker. I have found one used for $250.00 (I'm sure I can bring it down at least $30). I also have found a possible deal on a brand new 20" mossberg 500a for $275. IMO the 20" looks way better w/ the longer magazine (7+1) but would be hard to maneuver around my house in a situation. What do you guys think? Are these even good prices? What should I do?

My other questions:

Can you make the magazine tube on the 18.5" models longer? So they're aligne

Which do you think is the best for my HD shotgun: ATI Top folding stock, Choate top folding stock, Knoxx SpecOps folding stock? My 1st choice would have been the ATI Top folding only because it looked badass.. sort of like a spas-12. After a bit reading... my perspective has some what changed.

Also, are 1 point slings compatible with any of the above foldable stocks? I tried googling images, but could not find any.

Lastly, what is the difference between a Mossberg 500 vs 500a? Someone told me they were exactly the same?

I would appreciate it very much if anyone with shotgun knowledge help answer some of my questions. The sooner I figure this all out the sooner I will be able to start placing orders.Thank you in advance!

Talk to J.D. about what you need in a HD shotgun. His link is: http://www.aiptactical.com/

He cruises this forum, so he may respond to you, anyway. He has forgotten more about 870's than the rest of us will ever know.

vafish
01-13-2010, 07:41
Talk to J.D. about what you need in a HD shotgun. His link is: http://www.aiptactical.com/

He cruises this forum, so he may respond to you, anyway. He has forgotten more about 870's than the rest of us will ever know.

Also read this thread: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168459

And watch the video's in the links.

Save your money for ammo and training, don't get all the tacticool crap and learn to use a plain Jane shotgun.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Guns/08220004.jpg

Hedo1
01-13-2010, 07:58
The only stock that will make much of a difference is the Knox stock. It does suck up recoil, otherwise stick with the factory model.

The 1.5" difference is barely noticeable. I have a side saddle on my 500. It's a dedicated HD gun. Once you put it on it makes the shotgun difficult to strip down and clean. A lot more effort is required. I have another 500 I use with alternate barrels I use for hunting and training.

The 500 is a great platform.

David Armstrong
01-13-2010, 10:03
I would appreciate it very much if anyone with shotgun knowledge help answer some of my questions.
I will answer your questions by giving a bit of advice you didn't ask for: forget all that nonsense. Buy the fairly stock gun, get some training with it, find out what you need, and then decide what modifications you want on the gun. I'll bet you decide not to do most of them you have asked about.

Glocker08
01-13-2010, 12:26
How did you like the ATI's performance? Is it wobbly like many reviews have stated? Does it get in the way of the safety lock?

Also what kind of sling would you recommend for a shotgun pistol gripped? Sorry for the 101 questions. Btw I'm actually considering a Remington 870 now or Moss 590.. Decisions decisions.. btw there's no way to add an extension to the mag on the 500. Supposedly the end cap was not made to be removed.

DO NOT put an ATI (6 postion stock) on your Mossy.There is a reason why they are so cheap,its because they are junk.They are WAY too light. So much so that it will double the recoil of the shotgun.They may look cool, but thats about it.

If you want to put a pistol grip on it, I'd recommend pairing it with a solid stock, not a collapsible one, unless its something like a Knoxx or a Blackhawk with the internal recoil spring, but those usually cost about twice as much as an ATI. They are worth it though if you have the extra money as they reduce recoil by about half.

Any sling will do really. As far as a mag extension,you really don't need one IMO. If I'm not mistaken,the Mossy 500 has a 5+1 capacity.That's plenty IMO.As other have stated,keep it simple. Use that money on ammo and the like.

angels and glocks
01-13-2010, 14:16
Great info! I will definitely practice first before i add any after market parts. But the thing i'm stumped on is Rem 870 vs Moss 500. I found a good deal for an excellent condition moss 500 for 250. I'm leaning towards a pistol grip stock and the Rem 870 has an easy access safety button compared to the Moss which is on top, but is great for standard stocks. Also thanks for the links, I'm going to do some research tonight.

vafish
01-13-2010, 16:38
Great info! I will definitely practice first before i add any after market parts. But the thing i'm stumped on is Rem 870 vs Moss 500. I found a good deal for an excellent condition moss 500 for 250. I'm leaning towards a pistol grip stock and the Rem 870 has an easy access safety button compared to the Moss which is on top, but is great for standard stocks. Also thanks for the links, I'm going to do some research tonight.

I have both a Remington 870 and 3 Mossberg 500's.

That's really the main difference between the 2.

If you really want the pistol grip the 870 is the better choice.

But if you stick with a standard stock the Mossberg safety is workable from either side. I have more Mossbergs because I have a left handed son.

angels and glocks
01-13-2010, 17:25
I'm going with the Remington 870 tactical 18" w/ Knoxx's SpecOps Stock & Rem's tactical choke (muzzle breaker). Now for prices... does anyone know a good price for this item? Or should I just look for a used or new cheap standard 870 and upgrade it myself? I'm fking excited!!! My glock 17 will have a new friend to hang out with.:rofl:

Mofeen
01-13-2010, 17:41
I'm going with the Remington 870 tactical 18" w/ Knoxx's SpecOps Stock & Rem's tactical choke (muzzle breaker). Now for prices... does anyone know a good price for this item? Or should I just look for a used or new cheap standard 870 and upgrade it myself? I'm fking excited!!! My glock 17 will have a new friend to hang out with.:rofl:

If by tactical, you mean model 81400, this one http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win/order/prodlist.exe/PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=28169, I have it as well.

I paid 560 out the door for it at a local gun shop.

angels and glocks
01-13-2010, 18:12
Yes that one. I'm calling every store that sells firearms as we speak! Lol. Have you done any upgrades to it yet?

I wanted to put on a rem tactical choke http://www.remington.com/~/media/Images/Firearms/Shotguns/Model-870/Model-870-Express-Tactical/870-Express-Tactical-81198-prod.ashx?w=570&bc=ffffff but do you have to buy a seperate barrel to get it? Or can you just buy it by itself and mount it on?

Thanks.

angels and glocks
01-13-2010, 18:53
I found the answer to my choke question.

http://www.choketube.com/remington.html

it screws onto you're barrel.

Steel Head
01-13-2010, 19:05
Also read this thread: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168459

And watch the video's in the links.

Save your money for ammo and training, don't get all the tacticool crap and learn to use a plain Jane shotgun.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/Guns/08220004.jpg

That is a nice lookin shotgun

angels and glocks
01-13-2010, 19:30
Anyone in SoCal know where I can purchase the Remington 870 Tac-2 #81400 at a good price ??? I called Turners and they quoted me at 639.99.. WAY too much. Anyone please?!

OVERTHEHILLGUY
01-13-2010, 21:28
No- no - no, Buy a Remington 870HD. Good to go out of the box! Then, buy ammo that is on sale.

OVERTHEHILLGUY

mixflip
01-13-2010, 21:58
hey angels, Just fyi for down the road with your 500. Brownells does sell a 20" barrel and magtube kit for the 500. It completely replaces the barrel and magtube with a new one. $149.00 pricey but a nice option if you have a spare change piggy bank that needs some spending in the future.

It will basically make it look like the top shotgun in this pic. Same barrel and nut setup.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG4656.jpg

angels and glocks
01-14-2010, 22:16
Great news today. No I did not buy my Tactical. I rear ended a 2008 Toyota Highlander :| There goes my tactical shotgun $ and some.

Btw we're not using insurance. I have my reasons.

Hooray! *Sarcasm*
:faint:

USMC06
01-14-2010, 22:36
Check to see what modifications Clint Smith, who runs Thunder Ranch, does to his working shotguns - None. Follow his advice and the advice of some above. Get training and get lots of practice.

I.Hate.Glocks.
01-15-2010, 22:17
When the time comes again for the decision, go for the Remington 870!

pmwglock19
01-15-2010, 22:53
I have a Mossberg 500 persuader in 12 ga and couldn't be any happier with it. Easy to shoot, holds 8 rounds, doesn't jam. I use mine for HD and 3 gun competition.

angels and glocks
01-18-2010, 16:36
I've already decided to buy the Remington 870 Express Tactical. I just can't seem to find it in stock anywhere in my area. I'll probably have to find someone to order it for me. Anyone know what the FFL transfer rates cost in So Cal if you buy online? I was quoted 75 which is far too much and others were saying 20-30 if you get lucky.

bubbatime
01-19-2010, 05:30
Your post reads like a who's who in garbage accessories. All that "junk" you mentioned does nothing by make it look cool. Get a plane jane shotgun and spend the money on a quality light and you will be much happier. I've owned a number of the 20 inch barrels and they just dont feel right to me. I much prefer the 18 inch barrels.

I like the 590a1

http://www.fishiz.com/images/chris/590/590a1_51518.jpg

or the 870 Police

http://www.black-talon.org/RKBA/SG/870_2003_01.jpg

USMC06
01-19-2010, 17:08
My only recent change to my great 870, is to purchase a police 18" ic barrel w/ RS from Brownell's. Great barrel. Great results with Fed LE low-recoil buck and slugs.

CTfam
01-21-2010, 08:51
I have a 500a. Fit and finish is not as good as the 870 but the price is right. I agree with everyone here in saying all of that plastic crap you see in the isle at Cabelas is JUNK. ATI, Tac Star, etc.

I would suggest mounting a good light and buying a TON of 00 buck and slugs. I also have a Knoxx Spec Ops stock that is great. Fully adjustable, ergonomic, ugly as sin, and makes 00 buck feel like bird shot.

Thrillhouse700
01-21-2010, 10:41
All I have on my 500 is the spec ops stock, I don't think its ugly :) It DOES however work. Spend the money on a good gun cleaning kit, hoppes #9 and a good oil, 2 or 8 100 round cases of birdshot, 250 rds of 00buck, and 1000 rounds of rifled slugs. 4 cases of clays and make friends with someone who lives in the desert.

I got all caught up in modifying my gun at first, luckily all I bought was the stock and I'm happy with that purchase. What people don't realize is they spend all their money on mods and ATI garbage and then realize they don't have enough cash to go shoot it. Shooting it is the most fun part about having it!

I live in Socal, and to be honest good luck looking for a good price on that shotgun at gun shops. Firearms are just generally more pricey in the peoples republic of california. You can check turners website every two weeks or so they usually have pretty decent "california" deals.

Also give the guys at riflegear a call. Sometimes they sell used guns (mostly heavily modified AR15s but last time I was there they had a rem 870) They are off the 405 in costa mesa I think. You can call Grants Guns in costa mesa (usually pricey). Or at the end of the month go to the gun show at the orange county fair grounds. Be warned the gun show will have lots of PRICEY new awesome stuff, but there is a slim chance one of the venders might have what your looking for.

Jeager106
01-22-2010, 21:04
"possibly a muzzle breaker. I have found one used for $250.00"

You are going to put a gadgit on your $125 buck 500 shottie that is worth 2 X what the gun sells for used??????
I never paid more than 50 bucks for a used M-500 barrel.
Never paid more than 125 bucks for a one year old M-500 combo gun.
Don't tactical yourself into silly land.
Learn to shoot the gun.
Then you will see the silly folly of all that tacticool crap.
Last gun show I attended a gun shop owner (nuther one starving who can't pay his bills cause he found out there is not money in guns.) was pushing hell out of Mossberg Breacher barrels made for the 870 Remington.
$245.00 bucks.
Now I present to you a question. How many home defense people have ny Need for a breacher barrel?
Have the correct ammo for it?
Would know when it's needed?
I've seen a lot of people killed with shotguns.
Not one was tacticool. The guy was still quite dead.
How can that be? Everyone knows you must have 18 pounds of tacticool s#it on your shottie or it won't even kill crows.
Everyone of you guys that tacticool yourselves into the poor house should have a Judge handgun so you can shoot your way to a real fighting tool.:tongueout::rofl::tongueout::supergrin:

pmwglock19
01-23-2010, 09:53
With outfitting a shotgun, I believe less is more. The only thing I will put on mine will be a taclight.

ScrappyDoo
01-23-2010, 10:03
I am also having problems... I "assummed" (the mother of all **** ups I know) I would get a Remington 11-87.... but everyone is talking Mossberg here.

I really want an auto-loader... I guess I could do pump but I want an auto loader. But my question is this: What to do?! And does the Mossberg really come all decked out in the box with the pistol grip and stock etc. for $500?

Any and all tips/info appreciated. I am probably purchasing in the next 7-10 days (possibly tonight you never know!) and lets say its for 50+% home defense, 35+% practice/sport shooting, 25%- hunting (if ever)...

Thanks ,

-Scrap

CTfam
01-23-2010, 14:51
WHats that Remmy going for? I've been drooling over a Mossberg 930spx but I guess pumps are better/cheaper for HD.

Make sure you run some ammo through that piece before you trust it for HD duty. My Saiga-12 is a lead throwing beast from hell but she doesn't do well with light loads.

angels and glocks
01-23-2010, 21:16
I purchased the Remington 870 Express Tactical #81198 through a buddies dealer out of state. It comes drilled and tapped w/ XS Rail Ghost Ring Sights & a Useless but cool looking breacher choke, extended mag for 458 bucks + shipping.

I'm only going to buy essential upgrades such as knoxx specops stock & side saddle. I'll also be buying as much ammo i can afford. I went a little over budget with this one, but its alright I'm just glad I didn't get the mossberg with all the useless upgrades (heat shield, etc). Will post pictures as soon as I get it.

ScrappyDoo
01-23-2010, 21:39
Basic level Remington 870 I can get for like $319.99

The basic Remington 11-87 I believe was $699.99

It's not really the money, it's like , I am not the type of guy to have a whole closet full of shotguns (as some people on here are, I read "Well I choose between my pump and semi Remi, Mossberg, Beretta, Beni, etc" ... I want ONE weapon and ONE weapon only, and I want it to be the best combo of home def, sport, hunting, recoil, loading, etc...

Which is a tall request, therefore, I am having trouble making up my mind :)

angels and glocks
01-24-2010, 16:13
Big 5 Sporting goods was selling a Mossberg 500 w/ 18.5" and 28" barrel for 269 last week. Best of both worlds, HD & Hunting.