Les [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Les

Bigworm74
01-13-2010, 01:17
What do you guys think of the Thunder Ranch Commanche Special i think it would be a good gun for my first 1911

okie
01-13-2010, 02:09
Looks like a nice Rod to me:thumbsup:

bac1023
01-13-2010, 03:10
Sounds great!

paul45
01-13-2010, 05:03
What an excellent first 1911!

Officer's Match
01-13-2010, 05:42
Wonderful gun. Just know that Les Baer uses the same frame rail configuration on 4.25 (commander/commanche) pistols as on 5" (government) models rather than the spec's Colt and most other builders use. As such the shorter one's from LB typically won't slingshot after a mag reload, so you must use the slide stop to chamber the round. Not a big deal really, although to some it may be.

Quack
01-13-2010, 11:05
^^^ was just about to say the same thing

GVFlyer
01-13-2010, 11:35
I have a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Commanche Special in hard chrome and it's the tightest pistol I've ever owned. Interestingly, it's slide travel aft of the slide stop measures exactly the same as on my full size Wilson Combat CQB; subsequently, my Commanche Special slingshots reliably (although Les says that's not the way to use his pistols).

glocks rock
01-13-2010, 17:44
I think A TRS is a great first 1911. I've got 2 and enjoy both.

Officer's Match
01-13-2010, 18:36
I think A TRS is a great first 1911. I've got 2 and enjoy both.

I think a TRS is a fantastic 1911 no matter how many you have. I just think a buyer should be aware of the "sling-shot" characteristic of LB's Commanche's beforehand.

Rinspeed
01-14-2010, 04:07
I just think a buyer should be aware of the "sling-shot" characteristic of LB's Commanche's beforehand.

It's a very valid concern especially if that is how you routinely release the slide.

Officer's Match
01-14-2010, 05:46
It's a very valid concern especially if that is how you routinely release the slide.

And could be a source of confusion or frustration for a first time 1911 owner if unaware.

That said, I'm toying with the idea of moving a few of my nonessentials down the road to make room for a hard chromed pair of TRS's, a Commanche and a full size...

faawrenchbndr
01-14-2010, 05:55
I've recently learned a great deal about Les Baers lots from MD357
and others. The TRS Commanche would be an outstanding choice.
Tons of info here about the details specific to Baers.

I believe it would be an outstanding choice

ajgranda
01-14-2010, 09:23
I think a TRS is a fantastic 1911 no matter how many you have. I just think a buyer should be aware of the "sling-shot" characteristic of LB's Commanche's beforehand.

That was enough to sway me away for LB Comanche/Stinger and start considering, EB, NHC and maybe even Volkmann. For others it may not be. I also fell in love with the Bobtail design. I would love to own a Gov't TRS though.

GVFlyer
01-14-2010, 09:42
I would be interested to find out how many people's TR Commanche Specials will slingshot, such as mine. If it's important to you, perhaps you should check the example that you are planning to buy for its ability to slingshot.

MD357
01-14-2010, 10:12
This is my one and only real gripe with Baer guns. There's no reason for this. (as taken from the Yost's site)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/JD8/Frameraildifference.jpg

These guns have more reliability problems than any other Baer by far, and Les is too stubborn to change HIS spec on it. A good number of them are sent to Pistolsmiths to fix.

GVFlyer
01-14-2010, 11:02
FWIW, my Les Baer TR Commanche Special has been dead nuts reliable.

HAIL CAESAR
01-14-2010, 13:19
It is more than a slingshot issue. It really is a reliability issue. If you compared the slide travel of a Commache/Stinger to that of a regular Commander, the Baer guns have significantly less slide travel. That is very important. Having less slide travel makes timing very critical for reliability of the gun. If I remember correctly the Baer Commache/Stinger has less slide travel than a Officer size slide....and those little dudes can be troublesome to get 100%.

GVFlyer
01-14-2010, 14:11
How should I measure that travel, Hail Caesar? When I put the micrometer on my full-size Wilson Combat CQB and my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Commanche Special, I get the same number - the slide travels .125 inches aft of the slide stop detent. <!-- / message -->

MD357
01-14-2010, 14:11
FWIW, my Les Baer TR Commanche Special has been dead nuts reliable.

I've heard of many that ARE and many that are not. :dunno: Point is that Baer builds great guns. I have NO idea why they cut corners on these guns. They would have a great little carry platform if they would just do it right the first time.

Officer's Match
01-14-2010, 14:13
First time I've seen that pic MD. Thanks for posting it. And yes I've also heard of reliability issues such as HC mentions. Worse yet, I know of specific instances in which the owner has sent the offending Commanche back on his own dime and had it returned to repeat the same problem, all the while being told there's nothing wrong with the pistol - ammo or shooter to blame.

GVFlyer
01-14-2010, 19:12
This is my one and only real gripe with Baer guns. There's no reason for this. (as taken from the Yost's site)

These guns have more reliability problems than any other Baer by far, and Les is too stubborn to change HIS spec on it. A good number of them are sent to Pistolsmiths to fix.

Will you provide a link for this picture? Thanks.

bac1023
01-14-2010, 20:46

Interesting.

Officer's Match
01-14-2010, 21:08
Interesting.

That's putting it mildly. As I said, I know a fellow who finally sold his Concept VII because he couldn't get it sufficiently reliable after at least two trips back to Baer (unfortunately at the owners expense).

HAIL CAESAR
01-14-2010, 22:04
How should I measure that travel, Hail Caesar? When I put the micrometer on my full-size Wilson Combat CQB and my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Commanche Special, I get the same number - the slide travels .125 inches aft of the slide stop detent. <!-- / message -->

Sorry, didn't know you asked a question. If you have a Commache/Stinger and a "commander" length slide from another maker laying around you can just pull the slide all the way back on both and you can clearly see a difference. Use the disconnector as a reference point.

MD357
01-14-2010, 22:33
Will you provide a link for this picture? Thanks.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7769&hilit=Baer

GVFlyer
01-14-2010, 22:45
Thanks for the replies, guys.