What to get if you can't get the ammo you want? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What to get if you can't get the ammo you want?

pascal
01-13-2010, 06:52
Howdy,
I have a preference in self-defense .45 auto ammunition. My question is if I can't locate and purchase Federal HST2, or Winchester RA ammo, what would be an effective non +P round to evaluate? Thanks for your experienced opinions.
pascal

fsqridah
01-13-2010, 07:12
Any premium defense hollowpoint would be fine. Some are better than others for certain things, but when it comes down to it, they all do the job.

Iceman cHucK
01-13-2010, 08:44
230fmj hardball does everything you need but expand, and it will never shrink!

Just picked up some bonded WW230jhpPDX but haven't tried them yet, not +p but claim 920fps.

triggerjerk
01-13-2010, 09:08
Just be patient and search online.
Always keep some in reserve to carry in case you run out.

If you are totally out of standard pressure HST or Ranger T I think Gold Dots are probably the next best thing.

BleedNOrange
01-13-2010, 09:51
Howdy,
I have a preference in self-defense .45 auto ammunition. My question is if I can't locate and purchase Federal HST2, or Winchester RA ammo, what would be an effective non +P round to evaluate? Thanks for your experienced opinions.
pascal
Ammunition To Go has HST 230 +p for 39.95 listed as in stock right now.

pascal
01-13-2010, 10:33
Thank you Gentlemen for your responses. I don't want to use +P, so the PDX or the Goldots might be worth the try. The Goldots come in 230 grain. If you can
Iceman cHucK, let me know how they work out.
Take care.
pascal

J_Rico
01-13-2010, 11:35
If you can't be with the ammo you love, love the ammo you're with.

My apologies to CSNY.

pascal
01-13-2010, 12:03
Hey weybug,
I thought that sounded familiar. And besides I think I like CSN better.
pascal

MURRAY
01-13-2010, 12:28
There are tons of great loads I dont do any plus P in 45 I carry any of these

Ranger T 230
Speer Gold D 230
HST
Golden Saber
Any of these till I could get what I want check out this site

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

J_Rico
01-13-2010, 13:00
Hey weybug,
pascal

I can never keep up with which song goes with which assemblage, so I call them all CSNY.

fredj338
01-13-2010, 14:29
There are few bad choices in the 45acp. Hornady 185gr-230gr, Rem. 185gr & 230grGS, 185gr-230gr SGD, etc.

das9mm26
01-13-2010, 14:39
Hey weybug,
pascal
Neil says he forgives you......:whistling:

pascal
01-13-2010, 15:14
Thanks Gentlemen for the recommendations. Especially thanks for that site.
Not to hijack my own thread but Neil Young is a great songwriter and has a definite place in Rock and Roll, just not with CSN.:wow:
pascal

mastrbloata
01-13-2010, 17:32
There are few bad choices in the 45acp. Hornady 185gr-230gr, Rem. 185gr & 230grGS, 185gr-230gr SGD, etc. Fred, are the recommendations you're giving the good or the bad?

Zombie Steve
01-13-2010, 17:50
If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Kalmah
01-13-2010, 21:50
Take your pick...

Barnes XPB/TAC-XP 185gr HP loaded by:
Cor-Bon (DPX45185)
Taurus (TCB45ACP185HP)
Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP +P (RA45TP)
Federal Tactical 230gr JHP (LE45T1)
Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal HST 230gr JHP (P45HST2)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)
http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.45ACP

edit: Nevermind, I see this link has already been posted.

TheChosenOne
01-13-2010, 22:05
If you can't get what you want, get the next best thing.

pascal
01-14-2010, 07:01
Thank you for giving a list of recommendations from which I can choose and/or find. Take care.
pascal

5532jwk
01-14-2010, 15:23
I usually have the Ranger T-series ammo in stock.

thegriz18
01-14-2010, 16:07
If you can't be with the ammo you love, love the ammo you're with.

My apologies to CSNY.

Nice avatar! :wavey:

stengun
01-14-2010, 19:20
Howdy pascal,

Howdy,

pascal

Pascal, I'm the only person on GT that is allowed to use Howdy in their greetings on GT.

Check my post, I use it everytime.

Paul

P.S. Any .45ACP ammo will work just fine. I have 100% faith and trust in 230gr ball ammo. Don't be too picky about what you carry in your pistol, any HP will work just fine. The preminum stuff might work better. It ain't no 9mm where you hope your Hi-Tech Gizmo HP works right. :upeyes:

Ak.Hiker
01-15-2010, 00:51
Nothing wrong with any name brand of 230 grain ball. Winchester 230 grain White Box would be worth picking up as well. Any name brand load from 185 grain up to 230 that ran good in your gun would take care of business. For me I would load up with 230 ball and call it good.

J_Rico
01-15-2010, 09:08
Nice avatar! :wavey:

LOL

You too. Excellent taste.

fastbolt
01-15-2010, 17:26
Whenever some of the folks I helped train asked about ammunition other than what they were being issued ... (the grass is always greener syndrome) ... I asked them if they were satisfied with their knowledge, skills and shooting capabilities regardless of whatever ammunition they may be using.

Missing with better quality, more expensive loads is still missing ...

While I do like a good JHP design, and would naturally prefer to have one of the more modern better performing hollow point designs, if possible ... (and which might offer more sensitive primers, better case dimension tolerances, better burning powders, etc) ... I apparently don't worry about it nearly as much as some folks do among the internet firearms forums.

The knowledge, skills, familiarity with the weapon and the overall capabilities of the equipment user themselves are still more of a priority to me than the actual equipment they're using (holster, handgun, ammunition).

Some folks apparently feel more comfort when carrying certain ammunition in their relatively low-powered defensive handgun than when carrying other ammunition ... while I'd prefer to feel confidence in my actual skills in using whatever ammunition I may be carrying at the time I may need to actually use it.

There's probably a balance and priority when considering all the variables involved in the lawful use of a firearm as a defensive weapon, and not everyone seems to agree on the priorities of the various factors and potential influences that may be involved in any given set of circumstances.

I like to consider not only the bullet design (JHP), but also the overall consistency of quality when it comes to sensitive primers, case dimensions and the powders used.

If I'm limited to issued ammunition (agency restrictions when it comes to duty ammunition) then it makes it a simple thing. I focus on actually training and practicing with my weapon and making sure it's properly maintained.

If I have a choice (like in personally-owned off-duty weapons and being able to purchase over-the-counter ammunition), then I try to stick with whatever might be considered an overall good quality load in all aspects, as long as it's available in sufficient quantities to use for practice and also reasonably affordable when it comes to shooting it for training/practice ... if only to use it to supplement less expensive practice ammunition and to check for consistency of quality in the way of different production lots if I'm going to be using it for carry ammunition in my guns.

I've used a lot of different .45 ACP ammunition over the years, and I have little doubt but that I'll find myself using various offerings in the future, as well. Just because I can get a lot of one or another of the major maker's 'premium' loads this month, it doesn't mean I'll find it as convenient and as affordable next month (or whenever I have to replenish my supply).

I go with the flow when it comes to getting ammunition and work on keeping my skills and abilities in focus.

pascal
01-15-2010, 19:31
HowdX, Hello Gentlemen,
You've posted some good information and general truths that I agree with. You have to hit what your aiming at. I not to bad, always improving, less so since ammo prices skyrocketed. I was advised by someone I believe who has studied ballistics and seen results and he prefers the HST round. I planned on using that and make sure my pistol is consistent with it. I have had the HST2 on order since 3/2009. Since that is not available I'd like to put a couple hundred rounds of a single brand of quality JHP. Ranger-T's sound good, I don't think I need +P, solely defensive and have yet to come across a need for a firearm, so I don't believe I need consistent car door penetrators.
I believe you guys have been very enlightening with your opinions and advice.
Good points fastbolt!
Thanks
pascal