Decisions, decisions....Colt or BCM? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions....Colt or BCM?

MattS67
01-13-2010, 11:46
I'm in the market for an AR again now that prices have come down. I understand that BCM and Colt both make high quality products, and BCM has great customer service and a lifetime warranty.

However, I've been seeing Colt 6920s on Gunbroker, brand new for $1000-1100. A complete BCM rifle would cost about the same amount. The whole point of me considering BCM is that they were supposed to be Colt quality at a much lower price. Given the situation, which would you recommend and why?

Daniel Defense, LMT and Charles Daly are also being considered, as they're around the same price point as well....

TIA
Matt

RMTactical
01-13-2010, 13:24
BCM is just as good quality. I would get the one that you want the most. Both will serve you well.

I would rather deal with BCM customer service, but that's just me.

Chuck TX
01-13-2010, 13:28
Both are top notch, given they're available for the same price I'd still get the BCM because I'd get a middy.

faawrenchbndr
01-13-2010, 13:33
I hate to say it, because I'm a Colt Kool-Aid drinker,.......
But, I would chose the BCM.

hardeyes
01-13-2010, 13:49
Hello;

Colt

hardeyes

thisaway
01-13-2010, 14:29
What seals the deal for me is that BCM has the lifetime warranty, versus Colt's one year. The prices are essentially identical, so the only real difference is service.

hardeyes
01-13-2010, 14:42
Hello;

I think that unless he wants a mid-length, I see no real advantage over the Colt.

If the price is the same IMO, I would go with the Colt.

I have seen the same quality in Colt for many years, they are usally very solid, Have not seen a BCM, But heard they are very good.

hardeyes

NeverMore1701
01-13-2010, 15:05
BCM has the edge in Warranty and MANY more options, as said above. Colt is, well, a Colt.

I went BCM.

Briley9
01-13-2010, 17:15
BCM... not only because of the warranty/service, but you can build the EXACT rifle you want/need - instead of settling for just a handful of models. Just my thoughts.

B9

MattS67
01-13-2010, 17:30
Thanks for the advice so far. Turns out the Daniel Defense M4s are going for $1250 on Gunbroker, which puts them at a huge advantage value-wise. I understand the quality is up there with Colt, LMT and BCM...I priced one out with similar specs through BCM and the upper alone is $944 + shipping. Right now I'm leaning towards the DD M4 as the reviews I've seen have been nothing but positive, and accuracy seems pretty impressive out of the box.

Constructor
01-14-2010, 17:41
Colt or LMT.
Something to be said for those who do have mil contracts and manufacture their own stuff.

HAIL CAESAR
01-14-2010, 17:52
What seals the deal for me is that BCM has the lifetime warranty, versus Colt's one year. The prices are essentially identical, so the only real difference is service.

That is my thoughts also.

MattS67
01-14-2010, 18:40
I understand BCM has a lifetime warranty...but warranty is not something I'm really concerned about. If there's any major manufacturing defect, it would most likely show up within the first year regardless (one would think). BCM may have the lifetime warranty, but Colt has an established reputation and likely a better resale value. Same with LMT.

Any comments on the Daniel Defense M4? Like I said, this seems to be by far the best value out there for someone shopping in this price range.

Keep the comments coming!
-Matt

RMTactical
01-14-2010, 19:03
I understand BCM has a lifetime warranty...but warranty is not something I'm really concerned about. If there's any major manufacturing defect, it would most likely show up within the first year regardless (one would think). BCM may have the lifetime warranty, but Colt has an established reputation and likely a better resale value. Same with LMT.

Any comments on the Daniel Defense M4? Like I said, this seems to be by far the best value out there for someone shopping in this price range.

Keep the comments coming!
-Matt

BCM, LMT, Colt, how can you really go wrong? Both adhere to the same QC standards on the things that matter. You won't likely need a warranty, but if you do, BCM would be better to deal with.

Alaskapopo
01-14-2010, 19:46
This is coming from a Colt owner. But I would go BCM. BCM is as good as Colt with more options and better customer service.
Pat

01-14-2010, 19:50
BCM. Reasons as mentioned.

ArmoryDoc
01-14-2010, 21:37
I went BCM when I had the choice. I'm a Colt fanboy and would love to have a Colt but my BCM is every bit as good, just no pony.

jokeruh
01-14-2010, 21:42
I have a DDM4 and a DDXV. They have both been great.

A Colt for $1000 is a great deal. However, you should be able to get the BCM for that and have the added bonus of a midlength. For a little more you can get a hammer forged barrel and still be about the same as the Colt.

I have been debating getting a 6920 or a BCM....I am strongly leaning toward the BCM

steve1911
01-14-2010, 23:31
This is coming from a Colt owner. But I would go BCM. BCM is as good as Colt with more options and better customer service.
Pat

+1 i have two colts, i would go with the BCM, hard to beat there price and customer service.

1911club#410

1time
01-15-2010, 02:41
Both are top of the line but as a company Colt doesn't seem too concerned dealing with anyone but the gov. The m4 profile with a midlength gas system but BCM over the top. I have a BCM upper built rifle and a complete Colt. Since I picked up the BCM the Colt has been guarding the back corner of the safe.