Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammo

Jitterbug
01-13-2010, 13:31
Hi, I'm trying to put together an AR and have found a ton of good info in this forum...thanks!

Question on ammo, as part and parcel of the package I was looking into the cost of Ammo, I use Ammo engine as a reference for pricing.

http://www.ammoengine.com/

I'm hoping to go with a BCM 16" Middy with a 1:7 twist, red dot sight or 1x4 scope and was hoping to find some good pricing on some good heavy factory ammo...it's more expensive then I thought.

In a perfect world...the heavy ammo, probably 62-77 grain depending on what the gun likes will be my "go to ammo" that I would use for serious target shooting, possible Coyote hunting and any SHTF scenario

For practice I'll probably use some kind of 55 grain FMJ, due to low cost.

My question is, what have your experiences been? Especially with inexpensive steel cased ammo such as Wolff.

Is the point of impact drastically different when going from 69/77 grain ammo to the 55?

Any sources of relatively inexpensive 55 grain brass cased ammo? I will probably need to reload in the future.

I know changing bullet weight will probably effect point of impact and switching back and forth can be interesting but still a PIA and expensive.

Does anyone have a particular "do it" all load?

Apocalypse_Now
01-13-2010, 21:04
I use 62 grain SS109 factory and handloads exclusively, because they work and have the same POI. If I were to change it would be for an even heavier bullet

lawman800
01-14-2010, 00:31
I plink with Wolf just because it's so cheap. As for differences in grainage and how it affects POI, what kind of shooting are you going to do with it? Benchrest? If you're just plinking off hand, it makes no difference.

Alaskapopo
01-14-2010, 01:00
You will be about 1.5 inches lower at 100 yards with 75 grain tap vs 55 grain plinking ammo. At least that has been my experience. Like the other posters said for practice inside 100 yards it does not matter.
Pat

Jitterbug
01-14-2010, 13:35
Thanks guys!

furioso2112
01-14-2010, 13:58
Your ammo site mighthave these listed, but check out Palmetto State Armory (think I saw PMC Bronze 55 gr there for $319/1000 the other day - and they are a sponsor here, and I have had only good experiences with them...and that's all I have ever read about them - good experiences). Also, Widener's Shooter's Supply has good prices on Prvi Partizan (a respected manufacturer, and a military supplier if what I have read on forums is correct). They good inventory and prices and customer service (I never had to deal with Palmetto's Customer Service beyond ordering and receiving, so that's great service). Prvi makes good 62-gr and 75 and 77 (some is match .223)...that's all I've shot from them. Federal XM193 and similar has been good ammo for me, too, and I have seen posts on people finding that in the Midwest at local shops for around $350/1000. ALl the prices I have mentioned have been for 20-round boxed cases of ammo, no stripper clips, no bulk-pack. It is wise counsel to shoot different loads/weights in your gun and see what it likes/what you like about the characteristics of the ammo in your gun - cleanliness, failure rate/reliability, accuracy. Then search and look for deals on the ammo(s) you like best, butit 'cheap' and stack it deep...or with some prices, mortgage the house and fill it up might be a better catch-phrase.

Jitterbug
01-14-2010, 15:38
Ya, it seems like .35 a round for reloadable brass is about the best one can do today for 55 grains. The heavy weights are considerably more expensive.