Detachable carry handles [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Detachable carry handles

creamofG17
01-13-2010, 16:04
I'm researching carry handle brands and prices. I've come across units ranging from $35-$140. Would any of you gentleman mind giving me some input on brands you, through experience and usage came to the conclusion which brand gives u the most bang for your buck?

thunderbat
01-13-2010, 16:11
Spend the money for a US made one. They are more $, but worth it IMO. Sometimes it is tough to tell where they are made, if they don't say it is Made In the USA, they are not.

MADBMW
01-13-2010, 16:49
I'm researching carry handle brands and prices. I've come across units ranging from $35-$140. Would any of you gentleman mind giving me some input on brands you, through experience and usage came to the conclusion which brand gives u the most bang for your buck?

Depends on what rifle you are putting it on. Do you have an "F" marked front sight base? There are two heights for the detachable carry handles just like there are two hieghts for front sight bases. If you have a Bushmaster, DPMS or the like then you should buy one of their carry handles, because they match the non "F" marked front sight base. If you have a true "F" marked front sight base, then you should buy a Colt or other "Mil-Spec" carry handle.

To explain the difference, the "F" makred front sight base is .04" taller than the non "F" makred front sight base, and the "Mil-Spec" carry handle (Colt, BCM, etc) is also .04" taller than the non "Mil-Spec" carry handle. If you mix and match, you will have trouble sighting your iron sights in.

I wish I had photos to explain it better, but you can search other M4, AR-15 related sights and there are photos there which will help you get the right combination. I just wish the manufacturers would just get together and make them all the same hieght.

Ruggles
01-13-2010, 17:23
"I just wish the manufacturers would just get together and make them all the same hieght. "

That would be nice indeed, buffer tubes as well.

MADBMW
01-13-2010, 17:42
"I just wish the manufacturers would just get together and make them all the same hieght. "

That would be nice indeed, buffer tubes as well.

True that.

Paul7
01-14-2010, 11:07
Any idea which one goes with a RRA A4?

Thanks

creamofG17
01-14-2010, 12:03
Depends on what rifle you are putting it on. Do you have an "F" marked front sight base? There are two heights for the detachable carry handles just like there are two hieghts for front sight bases. If you have a Bushmaster, DPMS or the like then you should buy one of their carry handles, because they match the non "F" marked front sight base. If you have a true "F" marked front sight base, then you should buy a Colt or other "Mil-Spec" carry handle.

To explain the difference, the "F" makred front sight base is .04" taller than the non "F" makred front sight base, and the "Mil-Spec" carry handle (Colt, BCM, etc) is also .04" taller than the non "Mil-Spec" carry handle. If you mix and match, you will have trouble sighting your iron sights in.

I wish I had photos to explain it better, but you can search other M4, AR-15 related sights and there are photos there which will help you get the right combination. I just wish the manufacturers would just get together and make them all the same hieght.

Thankyou MadBMW. Yes I have the "F" marked front sight base. It's an RRA CAR upper. I know that RRA makes carry handles, but they are pricey. And being on a limited budget, I can't see spending that much. They're like $140.

RMTactical
01-14-2010, 13:29
Don't get the $35 chinese made carry handles. They are not good quality. They will not last. I have seen examples of these first hand.

thisaway
01-14-2010, 15:38
I bought a ANIB Bushmaster handle for something around $65 or $70 off AR15.com. Look on the "for sale" boards of various websites, you should be able to find a good "used" one for much less $ than a new one.

RMTactical
01-14-2010, 15:42
I bought a ANIB Bushmaster handle for something around $65 or $70 off AR15.com. Look on the "for sale" boards of various websites, you should be able to find a good "used" one for much less $ than a new one.

I agree. I have done this several times. Great way to get a good deal on a quality handle for less than what they cost brand new.