9mm defense loads everybody talks about [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9mm defense loads everybody talks about

remat
01-13-2010, 18:12
Ok,
I am always reading about the current generation of 9mm ammo (Ranger T, HST, etc) but I can never find any. Where are you guys getting it? (I know, I know...ammo shortages, lea demand, company policies, etc)...

unit1069
01-13-2010, 20:29
Ok,
I am always reading about the current generation of 9mm ammo (Ranger T, HST, etc) but I can never find any. Where are you guys getting it? (I know, I know...ammo shortages, lea demand, company policies, etc)...

Try ammunitiontogo.com, an online source. There are many online outlets but I have actual experience with ATG and if the site says "in stock" it has been when I've ordered. Some other outlets advertise ammo but buyers can wait months after having their credit cards charged.

Other GT members will be along with advice and anecdotes about their experiences. If you shoot a lot of premium ammo I suggest buying a sufficient supply all at one time, whatever the source.

MarcusT
01-13-2010, 20:50
The only place I have found HST in 9mm is on gunbroker.com so i just got some Winchester Ranger at the local gun store. I really have doubts about how big of a difference there will be if you have to shoot somebody with any of the high quality defense ammo.

aujrb
01-13-2010, 21:05
I'd say get some Federal 9BPLE.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM406-5.html

Hopefully, when sgammo.com comes back up, they'll still have some Gold Dot 124gr +P's in stock.

G26Okie
01-13-2010, 21:29
I'd say get some Federal 9BPLE.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM406-5.html

Hopefully, when sgammo.com comes back up, they'll still have some Gold Dot 124gr +P's in stock.

9BPLE all the way.

remat
01-14-2010, 00:52
Not saying that other loads are bad (I am a big fan of DoubleTap, Hornady XTP/TAP, Speer GoldDot) but wanted to try some of the new crop that people seem to be so fond of promoting (especially RangerT and HST). Was wondering how people are actually getting it with the ammo companies being restrictive. hmm...

jdm0506
01-14-2010, 15:46
I picked up a couple boxes of 147gr HST (about $18/50) last week from GT Dist here in Austin. Also picked up a box of 124gr +P gold dots a couple weeks before that (~$22/50).

beforeobamabans
01-14-2010, 18:18
Availability seems to run in cycles. The key is to buy by the case when you do see it. I was able to get cases of HST earlier this year when there were no Ranger Ts to be found. Lately, Rangers are available and there's no HST. I bought a lot of Ranger in Nov-Dec.

Bruce M
01-15-2010, 07:47
I ordered from ammunitiontogo.com the middle of last week and it was here on Monday. I would/will do business with them again. I have also had good luck with Georgia Arms

beforeobamabans
01-15-2010, 09:16
I ordered from ammunitiontogo.com the middle of last week and it was here on Monday. I would/will do business with them again. I have also had good luck with Georgia Arms

$40/box? You must have wanted it awfully bad.

Mwinter
01-15-2010, 10:48
CorBon DPX and Speer Gold Dot are sold commercially, and perform well in LE-based testing.

ricklee4570
01-15-2010, 10:55
Federal 9BPLE has garnered a really good reputation over the years. I have not heard of any catastrophic failures when using this round. Thats goes for the standard pressure 9BP as well.

fastbolt
01-15-2010, 16:56
While I've often had relatively easy access to the T-series loads in the major calibers because of it being periodically issued, I've not lost any sleep over using something else.

Remington's Golden Sabre and Speer's Gold Dot lines are available in the way of standard commercial fare, you know.

I stopped being interested some time ago in trying to find ways to go around company sales & marketing policies, and then maybe having to pay exorbitant prices for small quantities of some 'high interest' load or another.

Once you start focusing on a lot of training/practice and skills development/maintenance, it's surprising how the marketing and internet hype surrounding different ammunition can seem to fade and take on less significance. I remember standing in a cop shop and looking at the stacks of Winchester Ranger boxes on display (to LE customers only) at various times. The supply was good and the pricing to individual officers, while not as low as that offered to agencies on letterhead, was still reasonably low ($12.95/50-rd box of RA9TA 127gr +P+, for example, which was later raised a couple of bucks).

I eventually picked up a few boxes over the course of a couple of visits to the shop for other equipment, to replace some I'd been shooting up for practice since we'd stopped issuing it, but I walked away from the ammunition display without buying any over the course of many more visits. I wouldn't pay twice as much (or more) for that ammunition. I'd buy something more affordable and more available in the Remington or Speer lines, first, and spend more attention on actually shooting for training/practice.

Cobra64
01-16-2010, 02:45
I prefer Fiocchi and Speer lawman for range ammo, and Speer 124 gr. +P GDHP for SD.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Ammo/AMMO4.jpg

JBP55
01-16-2010, 05:23
You must search and be patient. My last cases of Ranger T was delivered in 10 months and my last cases of HST were delivered in 6 months. They were both on back order when I ordered.

unit1069
01-16-2010, 09:20
I prefer Fiocchi and Speer lawman for range ammo, and Speer 124 gr. +P GDHP for SD.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Ammo/AMMO4.jpg

Cobra, I admire your ammo collection as much as those fine pistols you have!

Cobra64
01-16-2010, 11:51
Cobra, I admire your ammo collection as much as those fine pistols you have!

Thanks! When shortages began and prices began escalating in November '08, I decided to get into reloading and now don't have to buy ammo. :)

unit1069
01-16-2010, 18:06
Thanks! When shortages began and prices began escalating in November '08, I decided to get into reloading and now don't have to buy ammo. :)

And it looks like you'll never have to buy brass for your reloads.

I've been telling myself I'm going to learn to reload but am hesitant to invest a lot of money without any guidance. Did you learn just by reading up or did someone walk you through it before you bought your equipment?

Cobra64
01-16-2010, 18:46
And it looks like you'll never have to buy brass for your reloads.

I've been telling myself I'm going to learn to reload but am hesitant to invest a lot of money without any guidance. Did you learn just by reading up or did someone walk you through it before you bought your equipment?

I read two loading manuals and taught myself.

Conceptually, all you do is jam a primer in the case, toss in some powder, and push a bullet on the other end. :rofl:

If you decide to get into it, buy the best press you can afforf, otherwise you'll end up getting it anyway down the road, and then you're out the money you paid trying to go cheap.

There are a lot of excellent threads over in the "Reloading" forum here on GT. I went with a Hornady LnL for a variety of reasons, but you can read about the Red vs. Blue arguments for days.

If nothing else, start collecting brass; because you may decide to "bite the bullet" and get into reloading. :supergrin:

Good luck!

BOGE
01-16-2010, 23:23
...Conceptually, all you do is jam a primer in the case, toss in some powder, and push a bullet on the other end. :rofl:..

And NASCAR is simply driving around in circles, right? Itīs a little more complicated than that, Cobra. :supergrin:

Cobra64
01-16-2010, 23:38
And NASCAR is simply driving around in circles, right? Itīs a little more complicated than that, Cobra. :supergrin:Ummm. Yes. Did you read the rest of my post, or just cranky all the time? :)

Roering
01-18-2010, 13:17
Good 9mm defense round.......It still doesn't sound right.

mteagle1
01-18-2010, 14:27

A 22LR is a good defense round if that is all you have in your hand at the time. Beats the heck out of a baseball bat or golf club.

kmrcstintn
02-28-2010, 08:10

for doubting the initiatives of the regime you are hereby stripped of posting privileges and will be publicly humiliated with a wet noodle whipping at 3 pm on Monday :rofl:

EskrimadoR
03-02-2010, 09:55
A 22LR is a good defense round if that is all you have in your hand at the time. Beats the heck out of a baseball bat or golf club.

:thumbsup: