Trace your EDC knife progression. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trace your EDC knife progression.

AlienApeBoy
01-13-2010, 19:19
Mine (decided to make this fairly verbose... but I'd definitely be interested in even simple lists from others):

- For a year or two I carried a Spyderco Rescue and Police on random occasions (so couldn't really consider either a EDC)... their serrated edges were great for some tasks and I liked the tumbhole opening... however they just proved too heavy and bulky in my pants for regular carry.

- Carried a black aluminum Kershaw Leek for about a year. Loved the speedsafe opening mechanism immediately. One day I couldn't find it... turned out it had fallen between my keyboard and monitor on my desk and I'd given up the search and decided to spring for ordering the G10 version of the Leek by the time I'd found it. I gifted the aluminum one to my dad and he's happily used it to this day.

- The G10 Leek was very good to me. The grip was a bit thicker than the aluminum Leek, but I really liked the grippiness the G10 offered. The one con was that the grips were a bit rough on my dress pants. Sadly this past Halloween while at a "Fright Farm", I think it was snagged out of my jeans while sitting in a nylon folding chair and lost in the field... and unlike the prior Leek, this time it was truly lost. I still remain a fan of the speedsafe, got a G10 Leek for one of my groomsmen at my wedding... and will likely get my wife a rainbow Leek as her first "purse knife".

- While I contemplated just replacing the G10 Leek in kind, I decided to do some research to see if I wanted to splurge a bit into the upper-mid range brands like Benchmade. After looking around I decided to try a Benchmade 707 Sequel that had dimensions very similar to the 3" Leek. I have to say, I've been extremely pleased with it. While it's G10 inserts are not quite as grippy as the full G10 of the Leek, it's a lot gentler on my dress pants. I'm also a big fan of the beefier profile of the blade. While the AXIS lock took a bit more practice to open than the speedsafe of the Leek, I'm now equally fast with it. I have to say I'm also a fair bit more confident in the lockup of the AXIS lock than I was with the one on the G10 leek. While the Aluminum leek used a leaf of metal of the entire grip for locking, the G10 Leek only used a thin piece of inner metal for locking. Granted, the G10 Leek was still very rigid and never let go on me... but the design of the AXIS lock inspires far more faith in me.

In conclusion, my EDC knife pursuit has been a fun one save for the heartbreak of losing my Leek. I'm now much more aware of moving my Benchmade to my front pocket when sitting in awkward chairs where I'd worry about it falling out... and it was worth it to bring me to the Benchmade, which is definitely the best EDC knife I've owned. I'll definitely expand my knife collection for other specific-purpose knives... but I don't see any knife toppling the 707 for the foreseeable future. Maybe someday I'll feel rich enough to look at the likes of a Chris Reeve mini Sebenza ... but for now, I'm quite happy with Benchmade.

isis07734
01-14-2010, 00:33
The Spyderco Police- the very 1st waved endura- the gen4 waved endura-Pikal- gen4 waved delica.

AlienApeBoy
01-15-2010, 17:14
Funny we both started at the Spyderco Police... were you like me and taken by how cool it looked in photos and the movies, but became bothered by how beefy it was in the pocket? (Id still definately carry it for outdoors activities where it's ability at cutting through fiberous things might be handy)

lwt210
01-17-2010, 17:34
I have carried a pocket knife for the last 30 + years.

It all started with a little, cheap red pen knife with two blades. My parents probably paid less than five dollars for it. I was hooked.

Next was a Victorinox SAK, followed by Schrade's Old Timer line.

Teen years I went to Schrade's Uncle Henry line as at that point in my life I hadn't gained an appreciation for carbon steel and it's tendancy to patina over time.

Case came along in my college years, the smaller gentleman's lockback model. I kept that knife scary sharp like all of my other knives. I learned at an early age how to hone a blade on Arkansas stones.

Early adulthood found me in the graces of the Spyderco Endura model and I carried that until I became a LEO. Then, Benchmade took the spot on my right front pants pocket and uniform pockets followed by Emerson, more Benchmades and finally a Spyderco Tenacious that is clipped to my pocket as I type.

BUT, in the last few years I have gone back in time via Ebay and bought up some old USA made Schrades. I am always on the prowl in antique shops and such looking for familiar patterns.

When I am off, you will usually find a Case slippie in my pocket now. I have some in stainless but prefer the Chrome Vanadium models and bought three or four last month. I have one on me now and it is a real gem: a Case Mini Trapper, chestnut bone, CV blades and a nice, gray patina graces those blades.

Nice to still have something made in USA with that kind of heritage.

And it's been a great ride buying knives. I will probably have a million of the things that my loved ones can sell off when I pass on. :supergrin:

syntaxerrorsix
01-18-2010, 17:14
As a teenager I carried a Buck or a Victorinox. When I joined the Army at 17 I picked up my first Spyderco Endura at the PX for about $35 and continued to carry Enduras and Gerber or Leatherman pocket tools (whichever was issued at the time)

The reasoning was simple. It was a great knife with good steel and easy enough to maintain and if I screwed it up or lost the knife they were extremely easy to replace and didn't break the bank. Same holds true today.

During my last few years of active service the knife world went all tactical on us and I immediately latched on to Emerson Knives of which I own several of today.

My tastes and thankfully my discretionary income has increased over the years and I have taken to some more high end products and custom knives but to this day my go to knife has always been Spyderco or Emerson (or both) for durability, replace-ability and workmanship/material.

97knives
01-18-2010, 20:11
ive been carrying a knife everyday for around 15 years and have only carried 4 knives but i currently own over 100. it started off with a benchmade 720 for only 1 year then a gerber carbon fiber SL 3.25 for around 4 years then a CRKT M16 for another 4 years and the past 4 years its been a benchmade 710.

KenBGlock19
01-20-2010, 12:23
Swiss Army in Boy Scouts

Gerber Multi Tool

Leatherman

More Swiss Army

Various Buck folders

New Leatherman

Kershaw Folder

Spyderco Native

Spyderco Delica 4

Spyderco Endura

Buck 55 (for work - corporate office)

Benchmade Doug Ritter RSK Griptilian

Benchmade Doug Ritter RSK Mini-Griptilian

Yup, I'd say I'm addicted to knives. :whistling:

Lohtse
01-22-2010, 17:59
I started with a Spyderco Delica I had first seen when working in an outdoor gear shop. Eventually, I moved to an Emerson SOFCK I had read good things about online. I never loved the liner lock and also moved to a municipality which may not have permitted the wave opening. I went back to a Spyderco Centofante which I eventually lost!

Then I managed to secure a Spyderco Lil' Temperance which is, to this day, one of my favorite knives ever. Great ergos, great lock, and good steel.

When I moved back to NYC, I was uncertain of knife laws and to be safe I decided to go with a Spyderco UKPK. I didn't expect it, but I love this knife! It's surprisingly secure when open but very easy to open and close one handed. It's not a super hard core use and abuse knife, but for everyday use, it works very well.

Just a couple of weeks ago, my wonderful wife bought me a new knife which has replaced my UKPK - a Rick Hinderer XM-18. It's my first (semi) custom knife and just a work of art. Impecable fit and finish with a brawny blade and great lockup. It's big enough to raise eyebrows where I live, but legal, and a very solid hard use tool.

isis07734
01-22-2010, 21:23
haha, youre funny apeboy!

I liked it, but it was big- youre right. My biggest complaint was the stainless/slick handle. When the Endura came out with the grippier handle and tip up orientation, I couldnt resist.

Sal,

if youre watching-
the ultimate EDC for me would be a waved Delica blade, g10 neutral shaped handle, and an even deeper lock back button. mmm... and the wire clip!

9jeeps
01-23-2010, 18:59
Leatherman came out with the Super Tool, I got one,,,
They brought out the, Wave, I got one
They brought out the Wave II. I got two. One for me and Wife.
They brought out the Skeletool. I got two. Ditto.

Checked out Cold Steel.

Bought a Voyager.

Collected the Voyagers.

Collected the Vagueros and other CS Folders.

EDC..... Various Voyagers... long long time now.

Can't break em, can't wear em out, won't break the bank to own one.

KISS Theory in place.:whistling:

End of story.

Leigh
01-25-2010, 09:59
Rough timeline from this 45 year old guy...
1973 Victorinox Hunter.
1976-77 3 blade Buck Stockman
1978 Buck 110 folder.
Early 80's was a Spyderco Police (they started off with ALL of 2-3 models).
Early 90's a few more Spyderco and Benchmade Small AFCK with serrations.
Mid 90's Emerson tanto point folder and Leatherman multitool.
Late 90's to present. Sprderco Delicas/Enduras/Natives (ALL plain edged), Victorinox Spirit (WELL built) and some flavor of my first love, a red-handled Victorinox!

mitchshrader
01-26-2010, 20:31
From the time I was 15 till I was 52 I carried something that was marked Case XX, usually a sodbuster but finally a big coke bottle granpa single blade. Good knife but it took both hands to open.

Now I carry CRKT M16-13Z's, keep several around and one or two on my person. Easy enough to sharpen, cheap enough to replace, pointy enough to poke a miscreant. And real slick to get open. I like the knife and don't see any reason to have more and then need to lose it.

poilu
01-27-2010, 22:21
buck 110
schrade lb7
a.g. russell sting(1976)
buck esquire
all manner of cold steel voyagers
benchmade afck
emerson la griffe
spyderco native 3/ ryan plan b/ douk douk

poilu
01-27-2010, 23:11
the al mar backup 2 is next.

Keeperofthedew
01-28-2010, 00:24
I started with a Victorinox Hunter, lost it, got another, lost it,
Got a bunch of cheap knives from Frost cutlery. Beaters that won't hold an edge for *****.

Next was a Cold Steel Ti-lite (blue titanium handle) which is still in my pocket as I type this. I think that was four years ago.
Since then I picked up one of the Victorinox locking blade knives, which I keep on my belt.

I really like the Ti-lite, but it isn't the best for cutting, so I've got a Kershaw Blur with the S30V blade on the way.

Janno05
01-28-2010, 04:48
First EDC knife was a Spyderco Dragonfly, had to mow lawns for a month to get it. From there I went up to a CRKT M16-12, then to a CRKT M16-13. Rotated the two CRKTs for all of high school and most of college. I then upgraded to my current Benchmade 940 and it is absolutely perfect. I think I will pick up an Emerson CQC-8 and a Spyderco Police soon because, well, I am graduated and can afford it :)

rygleason
01-28-2010, 08:17
:needspics:

gotta say it!

18jms
01-28-2010, 08:35
First knife I bought myself was a Spyderco, Spydercard still have it. I think its 11 years old now.

ked
01-28-2010, 08:45
2 blade pen knife
gerber folding lock-back
spyderco combo blade
crkt m16-01 edc

love the crkt, but would love to see it with better steel. also like the price, just in case i lose it!:supergrin:

ked:wavey:

Warp
01-30-2010, 20:01
Gerber AR3.00 from Walmart for YEARS. Thing got dull as hell. Sometimes supplemented with a Spyderco Delica 3/fully serrated

Then I upgraded all the way all at once last year.
Emerson CQC-8 or Zero Tolerance 0200