Short barrel ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Short barrel ammo?

DylTheThrill
01-13-2010, 18:39
I was looking to buy more carry ammo today and could not find what I usually carry which is Speer Gold Dot HP 124 gr +p, when I came across Speer Gold Dot HP 124 gr +p short barrel. According to Speer's website, their short barrel ammo is tested in a 3.5 inch barrel which is the length of the G26 barrel. Has anyone shot this ammo? And if so is it comparable? Thanks

glockfanbob
01-13-2010, 18:45
I've shot it before but honestly didn't remember how it felt....which means to me it didn't feel different then the same non-short barrel stuff.

I've been curious about the ballistics of the short barrel stuff myself.

AggiePhil
01-13-2010, 18:53
I bought some Speer .357 Short Barrel ammo to carry in my snub nose revolvers. I must admit though that I have not shot anyone with it, which I think would be the only true test of its effectiveness.

Molon
01-13-2010, 18:53
http://www.box.net/shared/static/lyjgma0umk.jpg

unit1069
01-13-2010, 19:19
If the ballistics chart is accurate the regular +P ammo is slightly better than the short barrel version. Unless there's a difference in the bullet design, which I seriously doubt.

Maybe there's a fact sheet included where Speer explains why less velocity in a shorter barrel is preferable? Maybe Speer is trying to capitalize on the "short barrel" ammo craze, ya think?

Kalmah
01-13-2010, 21:09
I have a Kahr PM9 with a 3" barrel. I emailed Speer a year or so back and asked how the Short Barrel +P Gold Dots would compare with the regular +P Gold Dots out of the 3" barrel. Should I get the SB Gold Dots, or would the regular +P's be just as good? The rep who wrote back said the regular +P's would work just fine out of my Kahr.

So if your heart is set on the lighter, higher velocity loads, don't waste money with the Short Barrel Gold Dots, just look for the 50 round boxes of the regular +P Gold Dots.

mclaren
01-14-2010, 08:46
If the ballistics chart is accurate the regular +P ammo is slightly better than the short barrel version. Unless there's a difference in the bullet design, which I seriously doubt.

Maybe there's a fact sheet included where Speer explains why less velocity in a shorter barrel is preferable? Maybe Speer is trying to capitalize on the "short barrel" ammo craze, ya think?

theres a guy that does ammo tests on youtube called "andreleger" I believe. He did some tests with the short barrel GD. The results show a difference in bullet construction. The petals seem to be designed to open with less velocity. The other difference seems to be the powder burn rate and flash characteristics are suited for short barrels.

DylTheThrill
01-14-2010, 09:06
Awesome thanks everyone

H&K 4 LIFE
01-14-2010, 09:51
Looking at both rounds, the only noticeable difference appears to be in the bullet itself. The gaps between the petals on the face of the bullet are larger on the SB stuff. This difference is even more apparent on the 180gr. .40S&W loads.

As mentioned above, this is probably done to better ensure reliable expansion of the round at the lower velocities generated from short-barreled handguns.

AggiePhil
01-14-2010, 10:42
I got the impression that it was designed for super short barrels, as is snub-nose revolvers, not your typical short barrel semi-automatic pistols.

fsqridah
01-14-2010, 14:31
theres a guy that does ammo tests on youtube called "andreleger" I believe. He did some tests with the short barrel GD. The results show a difference in bullet construction. The petals seem to be designed to open with less velocity. The other difference seems to be the powder burn rate and flash characteristics are suited for short barrels.

I talked to a Speer tech a little over a year ago asking about the 180gr .40 Gold Dot in the short barrel design. According to him, the SB bullets expands at lower velocities. I believe the cavities are deeper and the walls are thinner. They also use faster burning powders.

beforeobamabans
01-15-2010, 00:32
And thus, the marketeers split the hair even further...;)