Thoughts on Yost 1* package [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Yost 1* package

Substance-P
01-13-2010, 19:35
I know that his package is no longer available; however, I have seen several Yost 1* on both Springer GIs and Colts show up for sale recently. Does anyone have one? They seem to go for 1500-2000 which puts them in an interesting price point. Potentially a nice way to have a retro styled shooter.

84S
01-13-2010, 19:43
I had one. It was nice, but I didn't feel like it was the be all of the 1911 world. Top notch work for sure, but I was still looking at a regular old Springfield GI model with a beavertail and fancy sights which I grew to dislike. To put it this way, I just purchased an old series 70 Colt, for my purposes it every bit the 1911 my Yost 1* was, but I also know that Yost and Burton could turn my Colt into something really special if I had the scratch to do so. For around $1500 to $1700 they are probably a good buy if you like it. Once, you get to the 2G's price point, start looking at 1911's built from the start to be of higher quality like Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, and etc.

bac1023
01-13-2010, 19:48
I know that his package is no longer available; however, I have seen several Yost 1* on both Springer GIs and Colts show up for sale recently. Does anyone have one? They seem to go for 1500-2000 which puts them in an interesting price point. Potentially a nice way to have a retro styled shooter.

Its a lightly customized 1911, but done very well.

That said, his full house stuff is where its really at. Of course, you pay for it too.

bac1023
01-13-2010, 19:49
I had one. It was nice, but I didn't feel like it was the be all of the 1911 world.

It was never meant to be. It was Yost's base custom package.

MD357
01-13-2010, 21:49
I had an Elite? for awhile. Great gun, kinda wished I hadn't traded it off but I made out well on it. They are nicer than guns that are in the same price range.

bac1023
01-13-2010, 21:55
I had an Elite? for awhile. Great gun, kinda wished I hadn't traded it off but I made out well on it. They are nicer than guns that are in the same price range.

I agree that they're nicer than many semi custom guns today.

silversport
01-14-2010, 06:04
I would think (plenty of room to correct me here guys :supergrin:) that any quality 1911 that has had a competent 'Smith lay his hands upon the internals would transform that quality 1911 to the next level...

Some higher buck 1911s may have nice parts, pretty ribbons and bows but may not have the loving touch that makes all the parts work together in synergy...

just a thought...;)

Bill

drc767
01-14-2010, 06:59
I would think (plenty of room to correct me here guys :supergrin:) that any quality 1911 that has had a competent 'Smith lay his hands upon the internals would transform that quality 1911 to the next level...

Some higher buck 1911s may have nice parts, pretty ribbons and bows but may not have the loving touch that makes all the parts work together in synergy...

just a thought...;)

Bill

I believe the difference in many of these higher end or semi-custom, worked over base guns is the cosmetic appearance of the pistol. There is only so much a smith can do as far as the weapons function. The main difference is the time/work put into many of the cosmetic enhancements that may look nice, but really have no link to the reliable function of the pistol. Because many of these enhancements are so time consuming, the cost grows the more the outward appearance changes. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some works of art that are so beautiful to look at and shoot, but for the most part, I believe one does not have to sink a ton into work done by a good smith if your just looking for a nice, reliable 1911.

bac1023
01-14-2010, 07:11
I believe the difference in many of these higher end or semi-custom, worked over base guns is the cosmetic appearance of the pistol. There is only so much a smith can do as far as the weapons function. The main difference is the time/work put into many of the cosmetic enhancements that may look nice, but really have no link to the reliable function of the pistol. Because many of these enhancements are so time consuming, the cost grows the more the outward appearance changes. Don't get me wrong, I have seen some works of art that are so beautiful to look at and shoot, but for the most part, I believe one does not have to sink a ton into work done by a good smith if your just looking for a nice, reliable 1911.

One thing to remember is that even fairly basic custom work like Ted Yost did on his 1* 1911s adds a great deal of aesthetics, shootability, and value to the gun.

Work done by some garage smith will normally hurt the value of a gun.

drc767
01-14-2010, 07:44
One thing to remember is that even fairly basic custom work like Ted Yost did on his 1* 1911s adds a great deal of aesthetics, shootability, and value to the gun.

Work done by some garage smith will normally hurt the value of a gun.

Agreed, Bac. When I referred to "smiths", I was referring to the upper end smiths, not some Billy Joe Bob's Handgun and Tractor Repair smith......;)

Rinspeed
01-14-2010, 07:47
I agree that they're nicer than many semi custom guns today.

Not sure about that at all. I thought most of the 1* guns used the stock barrels and slide/frame fitting.

bac1023
01-14-2010, 08:07
Agreed, Bac. When I referred to "smiths", I was referring to the upper end smiths, not some Billy Joe Bob's Handgun and Tractor Repair smith......;)

Gotcha :cool:

bac1023
01-14-2010, 08:09
Not sure about that at all. I thought most of the 1* guns used the stock barrels and slide/frame fitting.

That could be. Accuracy may not be enhanced at all.

I just like the work Yost does from every gun I've see of his, including a couple 1* models.

Mayhem like Me
01-14-2010, 08:47
The following was posted by Ted on another site regarding this package when asked if he or Bonitz did the work....

In short, no. Not a single one that I recall.

Aside from maybe a half dozen "upgraded" 1* marked pistols I built, the 1* guns built at Y-B were all built by a few young guys who I trained to do the less involved builds. Jason Burton started out doing these builds as well, but soon progressed beyond them.

The 1* guns were "entry level" conversion packages. A convenient upgrade for those who may have already had an existing pistol, but not a complete enough effort in my view. Too many of the factory parts and quirks were left unattended to in the interest of simplifying and streamlining the process and trying to meet a cost/benefit ratio that worked for the business and the customer's budget.

That's why we don't do that type of conversion anymore. We feel there are better options at that price point.
480-804-1911

Hope this helps I asked the question a while ago when I found one that was for sale and I felt it a bit overpriced for the quality it exhibited...

bac1023
01-14-2010, 08:50
The following was posted by Ted on another site regarding this package when asked if he or Bonitz did the work....

In short, no. Not a single one that I recall.

Aside from maybe a half dozen "upgraded" 1* marked pistols I built, the 1* guns built at Y-B were all built by a few young guys who I trained to do the less involved builds. Jason Burton started out doing these builds as well, but soon progressed beyond them.

The 1* guns were "entry level" conversion packages. A convenient upgrade for those who may have already had an existing pistol, but not a complete enough effort in my view. Too many of the factory parts and quirks were left unattended to in the interest of simplifying and streamlining the process and trying to meet a cost/benefit ratio that worked for the business and the customer's budget.

That's why we don't do that type of conversion anymore. We feel there are better options at that price point.
480-804-1911

Very interesting.

TedG954
01-14-2010, 09:33
Very interesting.

Interesting indeed. He didn't think they were right, but had no problem charging $995 for the job. I bought one. It wasn't worth the money. I sold it. I believe you're better off with a TRP or Colt Gunsite.

MD357
01-14-2010, 09:38

Depends on which package you got if I remember correctly. There were 3 Tiers?

Mayhem like Me
01-14-2010, 09:39
Interesting indeed. He didn't think they were right, but had no problem charging $995 for the job. I bought one. It wasn't worth the money. I sold it. I believe you're better off with a TRP or Colt Gunsite.

It's a balancing act you pretty much got a gun that was dehorned and very reliable, but they did nothing for fitment issues you were stuck if your barrel and or slide was fitted poorly or out of spec.

MD357
01-14-2010, 09:44
It's a balancing act you pretty much got a gun that was dehorned and very reliable, but they did nothing for fitment issues you were stuck if your barrel and or slide was fitted poorly or out of spec.

That's not true at all. They would weld-up the frames and re-fit and or fit a Kart barrels all the time. If they were bad, you got a call from Ted.

MD357
01-14-2010, 09:48
http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7919

If you have good eyes you can see the bottom of the invoice. :supergrin:

Case and point. Not all 1* guns are the same.

Mayhem like Me
01-14-2010, 09:50
That's not true at all. They would weld-up the frames and re-fit and or fit a Kart barrels all the time. If they were bad, you got a call from Ted.

Not on a Basic gun you would pay the extra freight for that !

Mayhem like Me
01-14-2010, 09:53
http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7919

If you have good eyes you can see the bottom of the invoice. :supergrin:

Case and point. Not all 1* guns are the same.

case and point you paid for the barrel and it's fitting as he said in his own words HE built very few of these himself..

MD357
01-14-2010, 10:02
Not on a Basic gun you would pay the extra freight for that !

As mentioned earlier there were different packages of 1* guns. Have you seen a poorly fitted basic 1*?? If so then provide some pics.

You said they did nothing for the frame or barrel fit an that's not true. I remember there being a whole explanation about Colt fitting issues on his website when they had those packages, even talked to him personally about it.

case and point you paid for the barrel and it's fitting as he said in his own words HE built very few of these himself..

Right, anyone hopefully understands that you're not going to get a TRUE Yost built gun for $1500-$2000? Call me crazy though, I'll betcha he doesn't let it leave his shop until it's right. Considering the work Jason Burton does, I'd be damn happy to have a Yost trained individual build me a 1911.

I mean, I have a few Wilsons and I'm OK with the fact that Vic Tibbets didn't build them. :supergrin:

texdigger
01-14-2010, 17:20
I have a 1* Elite with a Kart barrel upgrade. As already stated, it is a lightly customized 1911. None of the internal areas have been "cleaned up" cosmetically. It is however, a reliable and accurate pistol.
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/chet007/YOST326.jpg

silversport
01-15-2010, 05:34

I totally agree with this...while I like the nice pistols to look at (and honestly, some of that if not most of that flash might make for better all around enjoyment)...I'll take the one's that are reliable first...like Zenith used to say...the quality goes in...before the name goes on...:whistling:
Bill

Substance-P
01-15-2010, 06:28
Thanks for everyone's feedback thus far. As some have indicated, the 1* is not a full Yost build and in fact, Yost didn't do many if any of the 1*s. I realize that and would not expect to get a full Yost for that price. In fact, I have had a full Yost build before (see the pics and info below from a different posting of mine for details).

However, that Yost now lives with my Brother and I have been looking into adding either another semi-custom from the big names (Wilson, Brown, etc.) or to get another Yost. As I am not wanting to spend another 3500-4000 to replace the Colt below, I am looking more along the lines of the 1400-1800 for another used semi-custom piece.

------------------------below is taken from a previous post of mine --------------------------------------
No to hijack the thread, but here are some pics of the new Yost in the Substance Family. Picked it up last Friday but haven't taken it to the range yet. It is a Colt Commander that was hard chromed and had the Yost Best Grade Conversion Colt Fighting Gun Package It was thanks in part to some of srothman's photos of his customized guns that I started looking for one of Yost's to add to the collection
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/substance-p/yostsix.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/substance-p/yostone.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/substance-p/yostfour.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/substance-p/yosttwo.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/substance-p/yesteight.jpg