Reloading Aluminum 45ACP Cases [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Aluminum 45ACP Cases

DoctaGlockta
01-14-2010, 04:46
I fired a reloaded Aluminum 45ACP case today at the range without incident.

I used a once fired Blazer case, a Remington small rifle primer, and a 200g MG plated flat nose bullet sitting on top of 6.0 grains of Unique. This was loaded on my LNL AP.

It was shot out of a G36. Fed from the magazine into the chamber perfectly and fired properly. I did not chronograph the round. The case ejected and looks to be in the same shape as it had before it was fired.

I'm not going to get in the habit of doing this all the time. But I wanted to find out in a pinch if all I had was aluminum cases that I could manufacture functioning ammunition (think SHTF scenario). I'm not advocating that anyone else do this.

If anyone else here had done the same thing please comment and share your experiences. Thanks. Art

willie_pete
01-14-2010, 08:25
Aren't Blaser aluminum cases Berdan primed? Remington doesn't make Berdan primers. What am I missing here?

WP

hdbob
01-14-2010, 08:33
I always thought you Dont reload them.

I fired a reloaded Aluminum 45ACP case today at the range without incident.

I used a once fired Blazer case, a Remington small rifle primer, and a 200g MG plated flat nose bullet sitting on top of 6.0 grains of Unique. This was loaded on my LNL AP.

It was shot out of a G36. Fed from the magazine into the chamber perfectly and fired properly. I did not chronograph the round. The case ejected and looks to be in the same shape as it had before it was fired.

I'm not going to get in the habit of doing this all the time. But I wanted to find out in a pinch if all I had was aluminum cases that I could manufacture functioning ammunition (think SHTF scenario). I'm not advocating that anyone else do this.

If anyone else here had done the same thing please comment and share your experiences. Thanks. Art

manderson525
01-14-2010, 08:38
Would you explain how you did this?

Glock2008
01-14-2010, 09:06
I've reloaded a single round of .223 remington into some boxer primed steel cases. As with your experience it worked fine.

PCJim
01-14-2010, 09:16
but I believe the problem with reloading aluminum casings is that the "springback" is not the same as with a brass case, thus it is more difficult for the case to get a proper purchase on the bullet to keep from incurring bullet setback. There also may be a longevity issue - those aluminum cases will not hold up to the repeated reloadings of brass cases.

You did not say whether this was a single bullet inserted into a magazine and fired as such. A better gauge of whether the practice could be sustainable in your scenario would be to insert it first in the magazine, followed by additional rounds to max capacity. Fire all rounds except the aluminum cased round, remove it and check for bullet setback after experiencing the recoil of the weapon.

I suppose that an alternative solution might be to use a very little bit of crimp to help hold the bullet in place.

Boxerglocker
01-14-2010, 10:27
but I believe the problem with reloading aluminum casings is that the "springback" is not the same as with a brass case, thus it is more difficult for the case to get a proper purchase on the bullet to keep from incurring bullet setback. There also may be a longevity issue - those aluminum cases will not hold up to the repeated reloadings of brass cases.

You did not say whether this was a single bullet inserted into a magazine and fired as such. A better gauge of whether the practice could be sustainable in your scenario would be to insert it first in the magazine, followed by additional rounds to max capacity. Fire all rounds except the aluminum cased round, remove it and check for bullet setback after experiencing the recoil of the weapon.

I suppose that an alternative solution might be to use a very little bit of crimp to help hold the bullet in place.

Your taking great risk reloading aluminum cases. You are work hardening the case each time you resize it. Aluminum cases are heat treated prior to loading them new at the factory. Firing them once changes the crystaline grain structure of the metal, then resizing them does so once again, making them more brittle. Just one reloading alone flaring and then crimping the case would seriouslly weaken the case. NOT good.....:upeyes:

dogmower
01-14-2010, 10:46
i did the same experiment about 20 years ago. same result. it was a cci berdan primed aluminum case. just used the regular desizer and knocked out the primer (made a new hole in the base of the case), and reloaded as normal.
it loaded and fired just like a brass cased round.
i only did it once, just to see if it would work.
i don't reccomend doing it, however, just because we got lucky, doesn't mean the practice is safe.
lefty.
ha-ha, just kidding.

GioaJack
01-14-2010, 11:00
Loading Berdan primed brass is not difficult... it's just a pain in the butt and not worth the trouble.

You simply need a Berdan de-capping tool and the appropriate sized Berdan primers. Both items are still for sale and available. (Boxer style primers will not function in Berdan brass)

It can be done easily... but why would you? :dunno:

Jack

Bultx1215
01-14-2010, 11:09
I tried it with 9mm and a bunny fart load. Worked just fine. Mine were Boxer primed, too. I lightly crimped them and had zero setback. Shot them reloaded one time only and then cleaned and inspected them for cracks etc out of curiosity....and then pitched them. The experiment was over. I have several thousand brass cases waiting and really don't need to be worrying with the alu cases anymore.........although I do save them still because you just never know.

PBKing
01-14-2010, 11:22
No aluminum thru my dies. No way.

Interesting read though, thanks

mteagle1
01-14-2010, 12:04
For your SHTF scenerio you can do as I did and acquire enough brass, primers, bullets and powder to last through the conflict.

Colorado4Wheel
01-14-2010, 12:28
Seriously, Your SHTF shooting needs should have ultra reliable ammo. All you need is a blood trail from your own gun hand to lead the Zombies straight to your secret bunker. I'm not letting that happen to me. No way.

jaybirdjtt
01-14-2010, 12:37
I drove without my seatbelt fastened and nothing happened. Reloading has enough variables to worry about and brass is the cheapest component! 45 ACP is a low pressure round so you got away with it. I figure my cost for 45 ACP brass to be $.0085 to .015 per round max allowing for losing a few or bad brass. Powder runs around 2.2 cents or less.
Save money on bullets instead!

El_Ron1
01-14-2010, 13:17
If you search, both aluminum and steel have been reloaded with the results documented here in the past.

DoctaGlockta
01-14-2010, 13:22
Aren't Blaser aluminum cases Berdan primed? Remington doesn't make Berdan primers. What am I missing here?

WP
Now they are boxer primed. Thanks for all the feedback and discussion.

jaybirdjtt
01-14-2010, 13:22
Just wondering.....can you recycle them with the aluminum cans? I'm going to check because they are always getting pitched at the range. Then I can afford to buy some new Starline brass instead of bags of mixed range cases. I still bend over to pick up pennies and soda cans also. "Born to Reload!" Hmmm. Could be a hit song!?

DoctaGlockta
01-14-2010, 13:23
If you search, both aluminum and steel have been reloaded with the results documented here in the past.Did the search. Didn't find much here but elsewhere on the internets. Yes it has been done before. I'm not claiming to be the first.

PBKing
01-14-2010, 13:25
I gave it some thought and I guess I'll just have to save my
last Brass Case for me. After all...is there life after brass???

PBKing
01-14-2010, 14:03
If you search, :rofl:
No offense to DoctaGlockta

PBKing
01-14-2010, 14:20
dbltap

shotgunred
01-14-2010, 15:07
When they first came out blazer reloaded and fired the same cases repeatedly at displays to show how good they are.
Just because it isn;t done all the time doesn't mean it is not safe. People tend to be set in there ways.
But I enough brass not to bother.

unclebob
01-14-2010, 15:15
If you search, both aluminum and steel have been reloaded with the results documented here in the past.

And last year thousands of people jumped out of airplane. Out of those thousands 50 people died. How many of those did you hear about?
Yes aluminum and steel cases have been reloaded, Is it safe too do? IMHO NO. The cases were never designed too be reloaded.

DoctaGlockta
01-14-2010, 15:38
When they first came out blazer reloaded and fired the same cases repeatedly at displays to show how good they are.
Just because it isn;t done all the time doesn't mean it is not safe. People tend to be set in there ways.
But I enough brass not to bother.Interesting. Do you know if this was with the berdan or boxer primed cartridges?

Bob2223
01-14-2010, 16:25
And last year thousands of people jumped out of airplane. Out of those thousands 50 people died. How many of those did you hear about?
Yes aluminum and steel cases have been reloaded, Is it safe too do? IMHO NO. The cases were never designed too be reloaded.

Ya know there were other very interesting statistics of those 50 people that died.
48 of them owned a blue press
and 47 of them didn't have a parachute.

Anyway back on topic, I wouldn't load aluminum or steel cases myself.

Bob :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
01-14-2010, 16:36
Ya know there were other very interesting statistics of those 50 people that died.

Of those 48, 20% were thinking of switching to a Red press and 80% of them were pushed when they said "Hell No". That accounts for why they didn't have a chute.

GioaJack
01-14-2010, 16:56
and 47 of them didn't have a parachute.

Anyway back on topic, I wouldn't load aluminum or steel cases myself.

Bob :supergrin:

Of those 48, 20% were thinking of switching to a Red press and 80% of them were pushed when they said "Hell No". That accounts for why they didn't have a chute.

The two of you need a nap.

Jack

dudel
01-14-2010, 17:00
Seriously, Your SHTF shooting needs should have ultra reliable ammo. All you need is a blood trail from your own gun hand to lead the Zombies straight to your secret bunker. I'm not letting that happen to me. No way.

+1 If it a SHTF scenario you're worried about; deal with it through reliable ammo. Why would anyone stockpile berdan primers along with regular primers to end up with a substandard round? It's not like berdan primers are easier or more plentiful to find.:upeyes:

You need the same powder, primers and projectiles. Brass is the easiest of all our components to find. It's beyond me why anyone would consider aluminum cases as an alternative. That's like getting ox cart tires for the Porsche in case the SHTF.

Don

CaptToyota
01-14-2010, 20:33
Just wondering.....can you recycle them with the aluminum cans? I'm going to check because they are always getting pitched at the range. Then I can afford to buy some new Starline brass instead of bags of mixed range cases. I still bend over to pick up pennies and soda cans also. "Born to Reload!" Hmmm. Could be a hit song!?

Drop a couple in a can, smash it flat.... ok...... that way the cans do not take up so much space....... ok. . . . . . . . . .

shotgunred
01-14-2010, 21:00
Is bob old enough to remember shotgun shells made out of paper?

Steel is stronger than brass. It wont last as many reloads than brass without cracking on the neck. But until that happens they are much stronger.
We use brass. Because it is customary and the money difference doesn't mean as much to us because we live in a rich country. Brass is easier on our guns and you know how we love our guns.
the eastern block countries us steel because its cheaper. literally millions if not trillions of steel rounds have been reloaded by kids in countries like Afghanistan.

Glock2008
01-15-2010, 09:28
Drop a couple in a can, smash it flat.... ok...... that way the cans do not take up so much space....... ok. . . . . . . . . .

They can't be recycled with aluminum cans, but if seperate they can be sold as aluminum.

jaybirdjtt
01-15-2010, 10:09
Try putting "reloading steel cases" into your Google search engine. Amazing how many forums have discussed this very thing. Try the same thing subbing "aluminum" for "steel". Net, net......you probably can get away with it (maybe...a few times) but really, brass is so cheap when reloading for straight walled pistol cases with relatively low pressures. My cost for brass, per round, for target loads is about $.008 each, buying range brass, sorting and cleaning it and getting 10+ loads per casing...safely. If shooting gets too expensive, I'll break out the formula for casting lead bullets in my old Lyman manual and buy a LW bbl.
I am sure the legal community had it's hand in this, too. Still, I will stick to reloading what I know works, brass.
Remember when you started shooting and read your Junior NRA Rifle Handbook. Well, #7 says, " I will "play it safe" at any time when I am in doubt of the proper action with a gun."
Number 8....." I will see that every one around me obeys these rules for the safety and good of all."

Can't leave out #10.....I will do my part to make America, once again, "A Nation of Riflemen."

Amen to that one!!