Defensive ammo for G17 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Defensive ammo for G17

BIG BILL
01-14-2010, 13:07
Greetings All, I'm new at glock talk and new for Glock. I've recently purchased a new G17 and so far have just fired range fmj ammo. I would like to hear some opinions on what works best as a defensive round i.e. no malfunctions and good stopping power. Also as for keeping mags loaded for extended periods, has Glock put out any info concerning a detrimental effect on springs.

Bill

srt_dude
01-14-2010, 13:14
With today's bullet technology, just about any of the major manufacturer's 115 to 124 grain loads are acceptable. +P loads offer a better option but come with increases recoil. Hornady TAP, Remington Golden Sabre, Wincester Ranger, Speer Gold Dot and most Cor Bon loads are all proven performers. Black Hills, Fiocchi and other manufacturers all offer defensive loads also. The most important factor is to be able to put rounds on the threat with acceptable combat accuracy until it has stopped. My rule of thumb is I'll carry whatever is cheapest or hopefully, free.

das9mm26
01-14-2010, 14:22
Speer 124gr. +P Gold Dots in my 17 and 19.....No problems from day 1.....
On the range, I use an assortment....UMC/WWB/Federal (FMJ vs JHP)...
Would LOVE to shoot GDs exclusively....but my wallet gets a hole in it really fast that way.....!!:whistling:

05FLHT
01-14-2010, 15:18
What ever ammo you have used reliably and feel comfortable with in your weapon :wavey:. All bullets make holes, some bigger, some smaller. Some people use FMJ, others want fanged face kryptonite coated sub atomic warheads.

Whats best is subjective, and opens up one mother of a can o' worms around here. My choice is 124+P Gold Dots.

mastrbloata
01-14-2010, 17:59
In my 17 I use Speer Gold Dot 124gr.+P........Here's a link to a guy that does some very good informal bullet testing. I like them because they are bonded and feed well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcwaMwB13Gg

I just bought four boxes of this stuff a couple of weeks ago.-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbRfy0eexw&feature=related

from these guys-
http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/dt44310/Ranger_Talon_LEO They're out of them now but keep checking back as they only post pics of what they actually have in stock.

beforeobamabans
01-14-2010, 18:03
Ranger T or Federal HST in 147 or 124+p

jesse2205
01-14-2010, 18:19
I would go with Federal HST 147gr+P or double tap 147gr+P

mastrbloata
01-14-2010, 19:29
Ranger T or Federal HST in 147 or 124+p

Why? Just tell him to get "WWB Personal Defense" and make COM hits. That's all he needs really, right? In fact, just advise him to get WWB 115gr. FMJ because who needs JHP when "wound channels" don't equate to any relevant advantage where defensive handgun bullets are concerned. They are after all, pretty much all about the same last I heard.

Joshhtn
01-14-2010, 19:32
In 9mm I prefer a 147 HST.

Brigrat
01-14-2010, 19:51
The last ammo selection committee I was a part of tested both 9mm and .40 loads. In 9mm we found a number of rounds met the FBI protocol including the Gold Dot 124+P, 147, Federal HST 124 and 147, and the Federal Tactical Bonded 135 +P which is the new 9mm round of choice carried by many government agencies (LE9T5).

I bought a case of the LE9T5 Federal Tactical Bonded 135 +P because in my opinion it performed best in our testing. The Gold Dot and HST offered better expansion characteristics in bare gel but the Federal Tactical Bonded 135 +P did the best by far through intermediate barriers. I am pleased with my ammo choice, but there are many good choices out there. It really depends on your needs. Most scenarios don't require penetration through barriers; although our situation at the office makes this a likely possibility hence the bonded tactical choice.

jesse2205
01-14-2010, 20:20
The last ammo selection committee I was a part of tested both 9mm and .40 loads. In 9mm we found a number of rounds met the FBI protocol including the Gold Dot 124+P, 147, Federal HST 124 and 147, and the Federal Tactical Bonded 135 +P which is the new 9mm round of choice carried by many government agencies (LE9T5).

I bought a case of the LE9T5 Federal Tactical Bonded 135 +P because in my opinion it performed best in our testing. The Gold Dot and HST offered better expansion characteristics in bare gel but the Federal Tactical Bonded 135 +P did the best by far through intermediate barriers. I am pleased with my ammo choice, but there are many good choices out there. It really depends on your needs. Most scenarios don't require penetration through barriers; although our situation at the office makes this a likely possibility hence the bonded tactical choice.

Good Advise!! :wow:

Defense Solutions
01-15-2010, 10:09
In my 17 I use Speer Gold Dot 124gr.+P........Here's a link to a guy that does some very good informal bullet testing. I like them because they are bonded and feed well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcwaMwB13Gg

I just bought four boxes of this stuff a couple of weeks ago.-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbRfy0eexw&feature=related

from these guys-
http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/dt44310/Ranger_Talon_LEO They're out of them now but keep checking back as they only post pics of what they actually have in stock.

Gold Dots are in fact not really bonded. They are actually "clad" and then "formed". Hence, they're affordable and work very well indeed.

JBP55
01-15-2010, 13:25
Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T or Golden Saber in 124 or 147. Make sure they work in your gun. They all work in every Glock I have owned.

mastrbloata
01-15-2010, 18:15
Gold Dots are in fact not really bonded. They are actually "clad" and then "formed". Hence, they're affordable and work very well indeed. So when they are "formed", they aren't really bonded. They're "mated?" "Brought together" perhaps? In a civil union of metals but not by holy matrimony? This is curious indeed and you now have my COMPLETE attention as to the science of Gold Dot bullets not really being bonded. Please expand at your leisure.

Merkavaboy
01-15-2010, 20:05
Gold Dots are in fact not really bonded. They are actually "clad" and then "formed". Hence, they're affordable and work very well indeed.

I think you need to do a little more research.

CCI/Speer was the first to design a bonded SD handgun bullet; before Remington's Golden Saber Bonded and before Winchester's Ranger Bonded and PDX1.

The Gold Dot starts with a lead slug (core) and the copper matrix is electro-chemically bonded to the entire surface to a specific thickness onto the lead slug and then a special die punches through the meplat of the bullet to form the hollow point cavity. It is not "clad" like many cheap plated bullets that have been made for reloaders or like the old Winchester copper colored Lubaloy coating.

H&K 4 LIFE
01-16-2010, 07:15

http://le.atk.com/ -

Most bullets perform adequately in soft tissue, but fragment or expand prematurely when obstructed by bone, heavy clothing or any number of other potential real life shooting barriers. Gold Dot was the first handgun ammunition to be loaded with high-performance bonded core bullets. Gold Dot's superior process bonds the jacket to the core one molecule at a time, virtually eliminating core jacket separations. That's why Gold Dot is the #1 choice for law enforcement professionals.

:whistling:

Defense Solutions
01-17-2010, 10:03
Bonded...generally refers to a metal cup being glued (bonded) to a lead (or similar) core. The process used for the GD is more like plating ... thus there really is no "seperate" cup that can seperate. They are excellent bullets, with a very good reputation. Yes, they are not the typical plated "cheapies".

jesse2205
01-17-2010, 14:23
Why? Just tell him to get "WWB Personal Defense" and make COM hits. That's all he needs really, right? In fact, just advise him to get WWB 115gr. FMJ because who needs JHP when "wound channels" don't equate to any relevant advantage where defensive handgun bullets are concerned. They are after all, pretty much all about the same last I heard.

What??? :shocked:

mastrbloata
01-17-2010, 14:38
What??? :shocked:

I'm not the one that initially put this notion forth.

mastrbloata
01-17-2010, 14:51
Bonded...generally refers to a metal cup being glued (bonded) to a lead (or similar) core. The process used for the GD is more like plating ... thus there really is no "seperate" cup that can seperate. They are excellent bullets, with a very good reputation. Yes, they are not the typical plated "cheapies".Glued or plated with "Uni-Cor" jacket bonding, it's bonded.

jesse2205
01-17-2010, 22:48
Last time I heard, gold dots were bonded...

Defense Solutions
01-18-2010, 16:22
OK, OK, OK!
Still a great round!

conpro
01-18-2010, 16:37
Speer gold dot +p for me.

BIG BILL
01-19-2010, 12:38
Thanks to everyone for all the advise. Went to the range yesterday but was unable to find any of the the recommended rounds. Seems to be a shortage of 9mm. Enjoyed the day anyway shooting WWB FMJ.

Bill