short bbl with permanent flash hider? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : short bbl with permanent flash hider?

tyger006
01-14-2010, 12:46
So what is the purpose of barrels that are shorter than 16" yet then have an extra long flash hider to make up the difference?

Personally not understanding the advantage.

Anyone care to enlighten me? Anyone here own one? Why that configuration over others?

:dunno:

thanks,

Tyger

NeverMore1701
01-14-2010, 13:07
14.5" with FH that brings it up to just at 16" makes sense, short as you can go without going into NFA territory, while still having a FH. The 11.5" with extra long FH make me scratch my head a bit.

COLOSHOOTR
01-14-2010, 13:18
The 16.5 inch barrel with a flashhider comes out to a total overall length around 17 1/2-18 inches depending on the type of flashhider/comp. A 14.5in. barrel with a pinned flashhider or comp usually measures in right at 16.1 inches. It's just personal preference if you can or can't live with an inch or two differnece.

RMTactical
01-14-2010, 13:25
Something with a 14.5" barrel and a flash hider permanently attached is great. The longer flash hiders, like the Votex, Phantom (5C1 and 5C2), A2X, etc... are more effective than the standard A2 flash hider and they also allow you to have the shortest length possible (16.1") without having to SBR the gun. I love it personally. It is my favorite setup on an AR15.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/IMG_6339.jpg

What I don't understand is, the 11.5" barrels with the 5.5" flash hiders. That is a waste IMO. There is no way that the flash hider is anymore effective than the ones I mentioned above and you lose an incredible amount of velocity with no advantage in shorter barrel length.

tyger006
01-14-2010, 16:16
Something with a 14.5" barrel and a flash hider permanently attached is great. The longer flash hiders, like the Votex, Phantom (5C1 and 5C2), A2X, etc... are more effective than the standard A2 flash hider and they also allow you to have the shortest length possible (16.1") without having to SBR the gun. I love it personally. It is my favorite setup on an AR15.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u87/RMTactical/IMG_6339.jpg

What I don't understand is, the 11.5" barrels with the 5.5" flash hiders. That is a waste IMO. There is no way that the flash hider is anymore effective than the ones I mentioned above and you lose an incredible amount of velocity with no advantage in shorter barrel length.

Well put and my thinking exactly.

I get the 14" barrel with flash hider to come to 16" but shorter than that has always puzzled me.

Thanks,

Tyger

Jon_R
01-14-2010, 16:39
The 16.5 inch barrel with a flashhider comes out to a total overall length around 17 1/2-18 inches depending on the type of flashhider/comp. A 14.5in. barrel with a pinned flashhider or comp usually measures in right at 16.1 inches. It's just personal preference if you can or can't live with an inch or two differnece.

How pinned is pinned. Meaning can you take it off if you want to change things around without ruining the barrel?

RMTactical
01-14-2010, 16:55
How pinned is pinned. Meaning can you take it off if you want to change things around without ruining the barrel?

Yes, but you will ruin the flash hider if you decide to take it off.

Onmilo
01-14-2010, 18:03
Yes, but you will ruin the flash hider if you decide to take it off.

And you have to add another flash suppressor that will exceed 16" minimum length plus you will have to have the new suppressor permanently mounted or you violate federal law on possession of a short barrel rifle.

Federal authorities who pay attention to these things desire the suppressor to be blind pinned and welded.

Jon_R
01-14-2010, 18:18
And you have to add another flash suppressor that will exceed 16" minimum length plus you will have to have the new suppressor permanently mounted or you violate federal law on possession of a short barrel rifle.

Federal authorities who pay attention to these things desire the suppressor to be blind pinned and welded.

Ok. Sounds like it isn't really practical to swap it around. If you wanted something different just get a new barrel and probably a new upper. I had a left over barrel from a rifle I bought during the AWB with a permanent flash suppressor actually a comp. Problem was it also had a bent front sight. Since I couldn't get the suppressor off I couldn't replace the front sight. I ended up just cutting the top off the sight. The middle one.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq85/rhoades-jon/IMG_8759.jpg

01-14-2010, 19:03
The 11.5" with extra long FH make me scratch my head a bit.
My guess is, to some people, it just looks kinda cool. I know it did to me, years ago.:embarassed:

Jon_R
01-14-2010, 19:11
My guess is, to some people, it just looks kinda cool. I know it did to me, years ago.:embarassed:

Is the FH lighter then barrel. If so then a really long one would lighten up the rifle some and move the balance farther back. That is about all I could think of for reason for it. :dunno:

01-14-2010, 19:24
Is the FH lighter then barrel. If so then a really long one would lighten up the rifle some and move the balance farther back. That is about all I could think of for reason for it. :dunno:
Don't know if it's lighter, but one thing you don't really worry about is accidentally damaging the "bore" when cleaning that part of the "barrel".