Spyderco Knives with Pix (Fakes!) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Spyderco Knives with Pix (Fakes!)

tampashooters
01-14-2010, 13:53
OK, well here's the story, they aren't Spyderco, they are fakes from China... But really good fakes. On the website it doesn't show the Spyderco brand, but this is what I got.

They're just under $7 each shipped.. But, they are great for gifts, and even come in a Spyderco box. Just thought I show them off....

Oh, by the way I am not a knife collector or expert.. Obviously!

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/44718/2022267330100259265S600x600Q85.jpg

MarcoPolo
01-14-2010, 14:00
I've never understood the "cheap knockoff" thing. The idea of a spyderco is the quality that the name brings with it. I've got no problem with CCC (cheap Chinese crap), but just let it be the cheapo beater knife that it is.

StanA
01-14-2010, 14:09
They need to be sued!
Hey if want to make your own product with your name that's cool but a direct rip off is just that, a rip off!

startat2
01-14-2010, 14:10
mind posting a pic of the box??

tampashooters
01-14-2010, 15:43
mind posting a pic of the box??

Sorry, I threw them away a while ago. But, It was black with Spyderco on it with the spyder.

Texas357
01-14-2010, 18:22
isn't it illegal to knowingly buy trademark-infringing products?

tampashooters
01-14-2010, 18:39
isn't it illegal to knowingly buy trademark-infringing products?

Oh, jeez....

Luckily, I didn't know until I got them.... But, if the feds want to come for me, I'll be here waiting... Besides, they possibly could be real Spyderco knives, since everything is made in China anyway. Who knows.

It's not like I stole $100 million in taxpayers funds and gave it away during a massive recession to a third world country, while ignoring our own people....

tripton
01-14-2010, 23:38
Oh, jeez....

Luckily, I didn't know until I got them.... But, if the feds want to come for me, I'll be here waiting... Besides, they possibly could be real Spyderco knives, since everything is made in China anyway. Who knows.

It's not like I stole $100 million in taxpayers funds and gave it away during a massive recession to a third world country, while ignoring our own people....

They are not.

Spyderco's holes are round.

theghostrider
01-15-2010, 02:31
They don't look like any Spyderco I know of. The handle might come close to the old Salsa, but not that close.

+1 round hole.

Morgo
01-15-2010, 05:14
They might be the Spyderco Byrd series.

JMS
01-15-2010, 05:26

They are virtual funds, hard to give away something we never had. :supergrin:

tampashooters
01-15-2010, 08:38
They are not.

Spyderco's holes are round.

Not all Spyderco's have round holes, check your info again....

They have alot with the tear drop
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=229

theghostrider
01-15-2010, 09:37
They might be the Spyderco Byrd series.

They aren't. No byrd looks like that. Nor would a byrd knife have the Spyderco logo on it.

Glockwork Orange
01-15-2010, 09:41

How do we know that?

:supergrin:

theghostrider
01-15-2010, 09:42
Not all Spyderco's have round holes, check your info again....

They have alot with the tear drop
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=229

Those are byrd knifes, not spyderco knives. They came up with the byrd brand to keep it separate from the Spyderco brand because they wanted to avoid market confusion (Spyderco is very particular about brand recognition). They don't even have the same warranty as Spyderco knives. Notice the link you posted to the Meadowlark is not labeled as a Spyderco.

So Yes, all currently produced Spyderco's do have round holes. In the past there were some fixed blades that did not, but Spyderco started using it on them to protect their trade mark. Not sure about the modern kitchen series.

ETA:
There have been some exceptions. The Jess Horn was made without the hole due to the designers specifications.

NeverMore1701
01-15-2010, 17:36
Is there an actual Spiderco knife that looks like that? I like the design. I don't like crappy knives though.

theghostrider
01-15-2010, 18:53
Is there an actual Spiderco knife that looks like that? I like the design. I don't like crappy knives though.

Not really. It depends on the size, but the only thing I can think of that may come close might be the Meerkat, but that doesn't fit. Maybe the Navigator, but again it's different. Like I said, it doesn't look like any Spyderco that I'm familiar with.

http://www.spydie.nl/

tripton
01-16-2010, 17:46
Those are byrd knifes, not spyderco knives. They came up with the byrd brand to keep it separate from the Spyderco brand because they wanted to avoid market confusion (Spyderco is very particular about brand recognition). They don't even have the same warranty as Spyderco knives. Notice the link you posted to the Meadowlark is not labeled as a Spyderco.

So Yes, all currently produced Spyderco's do have round holes. In the past there were some fixed blades that did not, but Spyderco started using it on them to protect their trade mark. Not sure about the modern kitchen series.

ETA:
There have been some exceptions. The Jess Horn was made without the hole due to the designers specifications.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Nicely stated.